Atra vs. Sensor vs. Trac II..quality of shave

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by BobinCA, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I have a nice aluminum 1984 Atra handle and I use Wally World Wilkies and Personna carts in it. I like the Personna carts better.

I still have my original 1990 Sensor handle along with a couple of Sensor Excel handles. I like the Sensor a lot, too.
    If I can find a good, metal handle for the Sensor, I may start using it more.
    I keep meaning to get some Personna carts for it.
    The Sensor was my first non electric razor. I never really liked the electric.

2. paydepst

paydepst Member

I've always been partial to the Atra myself.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

+1

4. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I used the sensor when it first came out when I was in high school. That was back when Williams still made their menthol soap. Combined with a blue VDH boar it provided some very pleasant and smooth shaves.

5. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I tried my Sensor a couple of times here recently with some ASR carts and didn't like it anymore. I get a nice BBS shave, but it burns too much afterward. It made me remember why I switched to safety razor shaving in the first place.
    My Atra is now my favorite cartridge razor.

6. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Member

I tried carts back when they first came out but I really liked Norelcos and used them for many years. 5 or 6 years ago I bought a Fusion but didn't use it much because of cart cost. About a year and a half ago I dug out an old Aramis mug, soap and brush and started useing that with the Fusion and that led me into DEs and then added SEs. I now have 5 DEs and 2 SEs and looking for more Injectors. But a friend found a NIB brass shave set with stand, brush and a TRAC II handle. I picked up a pack of blades at Publix, I think they are Personna, and tried it out. Used the brush (no idea what it's made of) which lathered up nicely with Col. Conk Bay Rum and then got a DFS in 2 passes. Cartridges from Publix, the most expensive grocery chain in Florida, were $3.59 for 10. If I get 4 shaves that'll be less than 10 cents per and I'll definitely add this to my rotation. The handle is a little heavy on the bottom end, but I am happy I tried this out.

7. Java

Java Member

I tried the Atra and the Sensor, but I always went back to my Trac IIs. By the time the Mach 3 came around I had given up even trying any thing new (and more expensive), but Gillette mailed me a "free Sample" Mach 3, and it sold me. It didn't shave any better than the Trac II, but it was "backless", (you could see daylight between the blades) so it was much easier to get it clean. So much cleaner that I could get an extra week's worth of shaves out of one. So as to the original question, I tried the other 2 as they came out, but I was alaways a Trac II man.