August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Thanks! Oh, yeah - I wouldn't wanna miss out! I don't know that I'll use one of my injectors exclusively, since my DE technique needs much improvement. They'll certainly see some use though!

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photos Doug. You have quite the collection of SE razors picked for SEptember

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Nothing wrong with going back to something that works. This allows you to confirm the technique and then move onto other items. See you around for SEptember

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am sorry for your loss Paul.

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks Jared. How much wood will depend on the Winter we have. I've never run out, but I've close a few times.

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks Jason. I really do enjoy using Floid Blue.

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I am also sorry for your lose Paul. I wish you and your sister all the best.

8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thursday August 31 - finishing with a whimper

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    Semogue Owners Club cherry wood boar 24mm
    CRSW Savon No. 1
    Alum and Lucky Tiger

Yesterday's palm lathering with the SOC went so well that I decided I had this brush dialled in and went back to my normal bowl lathering. And promptly killed the lather again. I thought the thin runnt lather was usable anyway so I painted it on. Had barely enough for two latherings and it was thin to the point of just being adequate. I think it says a lot for CRSW tallow soap that I still got a near BBS with just slightly warm alum under these conditions.

For Adjustable August, I used my Rockwell 6s adjustable except for two shaves for which I used my backup Fatboy to roadtest it. (It proved to be in fine working order and is now being PIFed in the Newbie Giveaway.) I intended to focus on using MWF properly but found I got it dialled in with just a couple shaves. I then rotated through all my brushes, and ended up buying a new boar brush. For the last few shaves, I have tried to simultaneously break in the Semogue boar and test some new soaps, and have ended up doing neither very well.

For September, I will start by using my Supply Provision Single Edge injector. As the month goes on, I may change off with my Schick E2 and G. I also have a Schick M Adjustable and a Pal Adjustable that I have never properly tried. Finally, I have various models of Gems to use.

I will work with the Semogue SOC boar brush some more. I will mix up the soaps and postshave products as the mood strikes me.

Edit to add: After writing my report, I decided to let a test lather dry on the Semogue SOC brush to help break it in. So I loaded the damp brush on the CRSW Savon No. 1, then palm lathered it -- and got the thickest, richest, creamiest lather imaginable. The sort of lather that would have made tonight's shave absolutely epic. Grrrr!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    mrchick, RyX, jtspartan and 7 others like this.
  9. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Very sorry for your loss Paul.

RyX, Paul Turner, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, Paul.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RyX, Screwtape, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I went through this with my Mom in March. This group was actually a huge help. The pain doesn't go away or heal, but it becomes a part of who you are. Keep on keeping on, brother.

12. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

My mom passed way before her time. My best friend at the time told me, only a few things in life will ever hurt you as much as this. Endure it, and soon the pain will be washed away and replaced with happy memories. He was right. So I pass this along to you.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thanks, guys.

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Will do, and thanks. And sorry for your loss.

15. Paul Turner

A friend of hers told me essentially the same thing-that it is real hard to lose your mother.

16. Paul Turner

Thanks Andrew-means a lot.

17. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Hang in there Paul. I will be praying for you and your family as well.

18. Paul Turner

Thanks so much Randy-. I've already begun individual grief support, and will partake in a group setting in a little over a month.

Linuxguile, FaceScraper, RyX and 4 others like this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Paul, I am so sorry to hear about this. I know it's difficult. My wife's dad passed a couple of months ago and I have watched her deal with it. You are in my prayers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, FaceScraper, RyX and 5 others like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Thank you @SharptoothC ....I think there's something to be said about the "father-daughter/mother-son" thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.