August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

@Paul Turner, sorry for your loss. I'll be praying for you.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thank you..Team TSD has been so helpful through this.

3. Paul Turner

Thanks Clint.

4. Paul Turner

Thank you Doug-we'll get through it.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I too am sorry for your loss, Paul, and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

But I think it is excellent to hear that you are receiving grief counselling/support. When my father died suddenly in February 2014, I simply tried to deal with the grief on my own. That was 3 1/2 years ago and things are fine now, but in retrospect, not seeing a counsellor was one of my dumber recent moves.

Actually, thinking about it, talking about him and his death occasionally here on TSD over the last year or so has helped immensely. I didn't really realize that until just now.

Thanks, guys!

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable (Arko) August!!!

August 31 Grand Blade Trials

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum

Final shave for the Rubie and for the month of August! Where in the world did this month go, eh? One programming note, the picture for tonight shows the Vie Long 12601 brush, which had been my plan. I changed last minute to the Semogue 620 boar and I think I regret it a bit. Something about the two smaller boar brushes the past few days and Arko face-lathering that just didn't go well together. I know it's a problem of technique. I just didn't realize how much my technique with boars had suffered by not using them for the past couple of months. I'll probably pull them out a bit more and make sure I know what I'm doing to avoid the same problem in the future. And yes, I know, I could just switch totally to the synthetics. I just hate to ignore the vintage part of this process.

Anywho - the final shave, Slim on 9, the Rubie still in the razor, and a weak second pass lather still didn't give me a horrible shave. In fact, the baby is in the house easily tonight with just a bit of irritation to show for it. Tonight, for the first time, I felt that old familiar drag from the Rubie, but I adjusted angle and it went away. Yep. That's what I wanted. Proof that technique can make a blade I have always disliked work very well for me. Three successful shaves and, while I enjoy some blades more, I can use the Rubie in a pinch now. Now, if only the Tiger would respond to technique too.

Thanks for a fantastic month around here guys!! I'll see you over in September even if I may be scarce the first few days. Labor Day Sale is on and that means long hours and, hopefully, little time to do anything but make lots of money!

Slim_12601_Arko.jpg

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

For sure. I dread that day more than I can imagine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8. SharptoothC

I'm glad it's a place you feel safe talking. And anytime. Sharing in joys and sorrows is a gift of friendship.

9. SharptoothC

Forgot I had one more shave day this month. My days are off of late since we started school back mid-week.

Aristocrat
    Feather blade
    Stirling boar
    Stirling Gentleman sample
    RazoRock Puros AS

I had to get one more DE in before starting a month of SE. I only have two Injectors, so it'll be mostly GEMs and my Star Kampfe Bros. Tonight the Aristocrat with the Feather made for a mild but efficient shave. I used a sample of Gentleman that came in my last Stirling order. I really do need a tub of that and some Executive Man. I'm gonna sell off a few that the wife does not agree with and hopefully make that happen. The Puros was a great follow-up. It's potent, but I love it for a pure, warm tobacco scent. Not smoked tobacco, but warm pipe/humidor tobacco. It's my favorite AS by scent.

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm praying for you and your family Paul.

11. mrchick

I wrapped up the month with my 15 year anniversary and appreciate all of the well wishes you guys posted. I ended the evening with a wonderful gift from my lovely wife. Time to learn a new stone. [​IMG]

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats again on the Anniversary and a very thoughtful gift from your wife.

13. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

That is indeed a thoughtful gift! Maybe I'll send you the straights that I got at an estate auction, just so you can spend some quality time with it! ;) Congrats again!

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

15. mrchick

Thank you Clint

Drygulch, clint64 and FaceScraper like this.
  16. mrchick

That would be great! I'm assuming you don't want them back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.