August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Interesting... I would have bet that the Titan was the same blade as the Prime Platinum (i.e., Dorco Prime). The description, at lease, makes it sound very similar.

"Titan" is an interesting name- one that, in the US, would traditionally have been used for something like condoms. Of course, there is that monstrous SUV which goes by that name. Either way, implications of a *manly* shave.

Keithmax, Linuxguile, NCoxSTL and 7 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_0565.JPG

Aug 15 SOTD:

Rubberset 400
    MWF
    Gillette Slim
    Big Ben (7)
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    TOBS Sandalwood AS

Keithmax, PanChango, Fup and 11 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful photo and lineup Jim. :happy088:

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

August 15, 2017
    OneBlade Genesis V2
    Feather FHS (2)
    “The Rowl” Shavemac D01 2 Band Flat Top
    Mystic Water Lavender Lime
    Folsom & Co Capri

[​IMG]

Today has started off pretty good. The Shavemac loaded up the MW Lavender Lime easily. I like a brush with a lot of backbone and scrub with bonus points awarded to the wall of badger feel. So face lathering with this brush is just what the doctor ordered. I don't really get much menthol feel from the soap and I prefer the MW Lime or MW Jeff's Lavender to this combination of the two. So when this soap is gone in the next couple of shaves it won't make my buy again list. Sticking with the XTG pass followed by an ATG pass while skin stretching really takes care of most of my stubble. Another pass on my lower right neck and a few touch ups along my jawline and around my mouth leave me with a near perfect shave. I finished up with a splash of F&C Capri. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

Great picture, and it sounds like a great shave. I hope your day goes well.

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD August 15, 2017

Blade: GEM stainless
    Razor: GEM Pushbutton
    Brush: Omega Hi synthetic
    Lather: Country Club Cahaba Blues
    Post: Witch hazel, Jeeves of Hudson Street Tobacco Bay Leaf aftershave
    WTG, touch up

It's been a while since I've used an SE razor. The Pushbutton is always a good choice. Smooth and comfortable shave. This particular GEM blade was quite smooth. Terrific lather from the Cahaba Blues soap and a great finish from the aftershave. Really enjoyable all the way around.

Have a great day!

SOTD 8-15-17.JPG

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Well, made it over two weeks on my MWF focus. Since I got the Fat figured out, it was getting a little boring. So I am celebrating my success with a Tabac Tuesday
    Tabac Shave Stick
    Wolf Whiskers Brush
    Frederick Reynolds Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    WSP Gaelic Tweed After Shave
    Have fun![​IMG]

9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

August 15th
    Gillette Black Beauty w Lord Platinum (2)
    First Canadian Soap Co. Maximo Gomez Cuba
    30DC LE
    Thayers
    Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender
    image.jpg
    2nd day with the Lord in the Super Adjustable. Got a fantastic lather from this great scented soap. I've said it before, but this is absolutely a top tier product. I asked myself this morning 'why don't I have more of their soaps?'.
    Went 9,7,7 on the 3 passes for a better shave than yesterday. Was able to mostly avoid touchups and don't really have any irritation. I think the Lord blade enjoys one day growth more than two. I am near BBS and finished off with the excellent Chatillon Lux AS.
    Have a great day all!

10. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

My first "real" cream/soap was TOBS. It lathered up easily, smelled great, and I quickly became a fanboy. Six months later, after 3 straight days of BBS or BBS- shaves with three different quality soaps (Stirling, Mickey Lee, Tallow & Steel), today was also a BBS-, but it was the first time I experienced notable irritation doing it, and felt the alum stinging afterwards. I didn't chase the baby - just my standard 3 pass shave, but irritation was evident from the get-go. For background, Slim on 6 (my usual), second pass on a persona (which I don't like as well as AstraSP, but was still more than up to the task and problem free yesterday) and new synthetic brush. The lather definitely had less slickness than usual. (I'm still not sure how to assess cushion, so no comment there). Was it me? Did I screw up the lather, or not use enough product, or does TOBS just not produce the same results as these other soaps? (I notice I don't see or hear many folks on the forum using TOBS.) Anyone else have thoughts or experience on this?

11. BaylorGator

Nobody wants a boring shave, Brian. Live it up brother!

12. PickledNorthern

It is always nice to have options. Good luck thinking it over.

13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Been crazy busy. I don't know if I will manage to catch up on this thread.
    IMG_6721.jpg
    This has been my main set up this month. Happy to report I have finally finished off the Yin Yang soap. Razor is a Staley Live head on a Windrose Stainless handle. It is an aggressive shaver with a good weight. Have six shaves on a Rapira Super Stainless. Apparently they do last more than 3 shaves. The LE brush has been awesome. I haven't used any of my other brushes since I got it.

Leaving for my vacation today. Taking the Staley razor, misc. blades, travel boar, and my next soap I am targeting, Jabonman Dama de Noche.

14. PickledNorthern

Really nice catch on the lighting, Clint.

15. BaylorGator

You will never catch up with the thread; not sure I would even try. Shenanigans and shaving will continue going forward. Have fun on vacation!

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm not sure what went wrong for you. I used TOBS for most of my first year wet shaving and had good luck with it. I really liked the Grapefruit scented one a lot. Good luck figuring it out.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  17. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Nice 2 pass DFS today with Cella and the Slim on 5. No sting from the Alum always a good sign.
    Razor-Gillette Slim on 5
    Blade-Voskhod 2nd use
    Brush-JR 177
    Soap- Cella
    Post- Gentleman Jon Alum
    AS- Proraso Green

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. PickledNorthern

I do not think TOBS cream is in the same league as the soaps you are using now. I think they are easy to lather and have a big range of nice scents, but they are not top tier in my opinion.

I am well aware that a lot of people may disagree with that opinion.

19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

August 15, 2017

Razor: Schick '500'
    Blade: Schick Proline (1)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

First shave with a newly-arrived Schick '500' Injector. I need to post some pictures later, but it appears to be a later version as it is only labelled "Schick" (in newer typeface) and "'500'". It doesn't seem to be as new as the one which @GarnerPW recently purchased, though, as it has the J-style handle. It definitely is shiny with its golden head.

First impression- it is definitely the most head-heavy Injector that I've used. Part of this is the added weight from the Hydro-Magic hardware and part is from the longer handle. In any case, it was a smooth shave with two passes to a near-BBS and no issues. I'm not sure if it represents any major improvement over my J1 but it should be a fun addition to the rotation.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  20. PickledNorthern

Have fun, Adam!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.