August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

-Frederick Reynolds
    -Vie Long White Horse
    -Stirling Glacial Lemony Orange and Lime Soap
    -Stirling Lemony Orange A.S.

@mrchick helped me pick my razor for the day, and @Douglas Carey 's awesome color coordinated, citrusy shaves made me want to do a little soap combining to get a full spectrum of citrus. The half a load of Glacial made for a nice chill without a hard freeze, so it was an enjoyable three pass ending in DFS territory.

Fup, MR41, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Blades are cheap. No point on pushing one past its prime unless you are Focusing on that aspect. As to a FB on setting Neal? I use mine with any ole blade. Even Feathers. On Nine every time & three passes plus chin buffing & G-Slides. Maybe an error 1 out of 7 shaves. I did work my way up to that over several months. Whereever you comfort zone is - go past it one click until it's routine. Then click it again!

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0244.JPG
    First shave of the week on a two day growth, crank it up to "9" for the first pass, "7" for the second and "5" for the third or half depending on how much reduction occurred. During the week, "8" "6" and "4"

Linuxguile, Fup, MR41 and 13 others like this.
  4. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Yep, agreed! And I'm not hurting for blades. Granted, I don't have the stash that many others do, but I'm not gonna run out of them for the next few years. I don't know why I keep using them so long. I'm not exactly a tightwad. I know that a FB dialed to max is nothing to many others, and if I had decent technique, it shouldn't be an issue for me either. I'll get better eventually! Some days I get great shaves without any problems whatsoever. Other days, it's a very minor weeper or two. Today was worse than normal - but I don't really have any irritation, despite the blood I drew on my neck. I'll admit it - I'm a slow student. But I keep on keepin' on! :)

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not true, Sir. It's not a race so take your time and find your Comfort Zone. If your best shave happens at 3 - enjoy it there. I took my time and challenged myself to keep upping the setting. Along the way I used straights, shavettes, and a Fatip that's notorious for punishing incorrect technique. I have learned to get a great beard reduction from a Red Tip because I took time with a Blue Tip & a Flare Tip. Not every shavers wants or needs razors on the aggressive side. I have found I do. Your Shave Journey is your own.

Keithmax, Screwtape, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice razor choice Mine gives great shaves.

7. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Very valid points! Although some days it can be frustrating, it's still enjoyable to learn a new skill!

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable (Arko) August!!!

August 15 - Grand Blade Trials

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (63)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Some research has paid off. I'm still trying to find out what's different about the Titan and Prime blades. I found out today that Prime blades have a Teflon coating as well as the platinum. Bang! That explains why I found them more to my liking as Teflon is my fave. However, the Titan is a fine blade too so far, and I'm running down the actual coatings on it. If anyone beats me to it let me know.

Tonight's run with the Titan was extremely smooth and effective. Very nice feel at the mid-range on the razor and no issues whatsoever. I keep checking the finish and I want to say the baby showed up. Then the next feel I think maybe not. Then the next one I say yep, he's here. Well, if I keep going back and forth it must be the baby. I'm calling a BBS. Very nice shave. And....the alum was quiet. An improvement over last night.

Head shave first tonight proved no challenge at all. Just a quality chrome dome courtesy of the Merkur 23c and Astra SP. It's a good night at Cartel Central.

August 12.jpg

Linuxguile, Fup, MR41 and 12 others like this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Aug 13-15

Head and Face shaves

Prep is a shower or some witch hazel
    Progress on 5 w/ Israeli Personna blades & Bic chromes
    Simpson's best Commodore x1
    Haslinger-seaweed & marigold, Derby, and Arko
    Aqua Velva & British Sterling AS

I have been having more and more success with irritation free shaves while getting fine shave results. For me Astra greens are hard to beat due to the balance of sharpness and smoothness, but I am really liking the red Personnas and Bic chromes are running second behind the Personnas.

Great shaves everybody!!

Linuxguile, Fup, RyX and 13 others like this.
  10. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

4 times on one blade is generally my Max sometimes just 3

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

SharptoothC, RyX, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Jim.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gem OCMM
    Gem Stainless (4)
    Chubbz (Rubberset 300n with Omega Baby Pro Knot)
    Iced Orange Arko Shave Soap

14th shave in and feeling like I have the OCMM dialed in again. The shaves were not bad to start, but have gotten better. I am getting used to the thicker SE blade again and also fine tuning the muscle memory. They should only continue to improve over the next two weeks. Enjoy your day.

MR41, Linuxguile, Fup and 11 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic citrus theme Jared.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

August 16, 2017
    OneBlade Genesis V2
    Feather FHS (3)
    “The Rowl” Shavemac D01 2 Band Flat Top
    Mystic Water Lavender Lime
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica

[​IMG]

Well the big Shavemac Flat Top ate through the last of the MW Lavender Lime soap. At least I had a great slick lather for my 2 pass and 1/4 pass shave. Paying attention and skin stretching helped me get great results. My lower right neck is consistently better than it was even a couple of months ago. A splash of F&C Capri and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  15. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Great shot, Clint!

16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

After a few days with a Personna blade, I definteley prefer the Astra SP. They both get the job done. I just find the Astra SP to be smoother for me. That is all.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. My wife noticed I had used her figurine outside. I probably won't do that again. :ashamed001:

18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD August 16, 2017

Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: Personna injector
    Brush: Surrey two-band badger
    Lather: Reef Point Classic Barbershop
    Post: Witch hazel, Reef Point Classic Barbershop aftershave
    WTG, touch up

I continue on an unfocused focus for this month. I'm just rotating through various combinations and enjoying all of them. Today was no exception. This is the only Reef Point soap that I have and I really enjoy it. Slick and protective and lathers easily. Clean and refreshing scent as well. The Personna injector is quite mild but still works well for me. Overall a really nice shave to get through the middle of the week.

Hope you have a great day!

SOTD 8-16-17.JPG

Linuxguile, Fup, MR41 and 13 others like this.
  19. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Wednesday morning August 16 - if at first you don’t succeed, repeat

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    Chinese hardwood boar reknotted with Maggards 24mm plissoft knot
    Kent / MWF in wooden tub
    Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel Alcohol-free Rose Petal

Yesterday, I was dismissive of this brush handle's aesthetics and then managed to bloody myself with the Rockwell on a "safe" plate setting. So I repeated the setup.

First, I realized I was unfair to the brush. The problem wasn't that the piece of wood had little or no grain pattern, the problem was that it had been "finished" with a thin coat of shiny, opaque, chintzy varnish that was flaking to boot. So last night, I sanded off the varnish (with almost no effort at all, incidentally), then refinished the handle with an oil/wax coating for salad bowls. I now have a very handsome little handle with a strong grain pattern very similar to the ones on Jason's figured maple handles. I don’t think the wood is maple, but it's some sort of similarly grained hardwood. And is now fully worthy of a plissoft quality knot.

The brush whipped up an excellent lather from the Fat. I then shaved a little more carefully today, paid attention to my skin stretching, and was rewarded with a two pass near BBS without irritation or blood.

Today's set up, including the newly improved brush. Also my assistant testing the water quality for me - a 16-year-old Siamese pretty much does what she wants:

IMG_00000039.jpg IMG_00000040.jpg

Linuxguile, Fup, Rufus T. and 12 others like this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

After two weeks of the Fat, I was ready for something new. Time to get out my favorite soap. I absolutely love the easy slick lather I get with Route 66. Other than a small nick, this was an excellent shave.
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd Soap
    Jayaruh #155 Brush
    Art Razor Le Chef Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
    Have fun![​IMG]

Linuxguile, Fup, Rufus T. and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.