August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

A quandary is almost as bad as a dilemma. Good luck!

2. Bama Samurai

The Vintage Shaver's creed?

3. Bama Samurai

Smh

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This one doesn't stop at 6. It was truly meant for you.

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTN August 1, 2017

Schick M adjustable injector
    Jayaruh boar
    Soap Commander Courage (sample)
    Witch hazel, Skin Bracer aftershave
    WTG, touch up

Quick and easy evening shave. As I mentioned earlier, my schedule is off right now and I'm shaving in the evenings. I'll be back with morning shaves later this week. Hopefully I can have a little more time to actually post a picture again. In any event this was a really nice shave. Soap Commander is great stuff. I chose the only adjustable I have - Schick M - and enjoyed it. I used setting 7 for a smooth ride.

Enjoy your evening!

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Mine is the NT Vigour. I bought it on The Bay a year or two ago, but they aren't around anymore.

7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll be in for August. My focus is not determined yet. I think my main goal is to finish off this everlasting sample of Soap Commander Courage and then to use some soaps that are feeling neglected. But mainly I just want to enjoy my shaves and read some good fun in this thread.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Stone Mountain

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Fun?! In THIS thread?! Since when do we allow fun in here?!?! Who's in charge around here and.....oh, wait. Carry on.

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

A little late to the party, Neal. They are great shavers. Mine is the Ming Shi. You can get them for less then $10, if you don't mind the slow boat from China.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Sure, why not.
    If you're interested, Google "Rifleman's Creed" for the real deal.

12. RetLEO-07

Ah, no. :rolleyes005:

13. Bama Samurai

I am familiar with it, it's the basis of the USMC method for infantry fighting. Proud to have some Marines in my family. Cool you adapted it 30DC style!

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I lived in Snellville for near 20 years. It's just a few miles up Hwy 78. Stone Mountain was the headquarters of The Klan years ago. Now it's just part of Dekalb county. With the revisionist history trend pulling down statues from The War of Northern Aggression, also called The Civil War, it won't be long the side of that mountain will get redecorated.
    If you want banjos, take a canoe to the Chattahoochee and paddle north into the woods. Helen, Georgia is nice.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Having hit a plateau I've done a similar style of unfocused Focus. Once you AD enough to get the Den stocked up it's easy to go which ever way the wind blows.
    (insert Queen video here)

16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Tuesday evening August 1

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    Omega B + B Essential Boar
    Dirty Deeds Arroyo Cactus soap
    Alum and TSD Milk Aftershave Sandalwood

With all the talk of boar brushes, I hauled out my representative Omega tonight to work up the Dirty Deeds soap. The sample puck doesn't seem to be disappearing very quickly. I would guess I might get a couple weeks out of it.

Other than that, good shave tonight. Not much to report.

MR41, SharptoothC, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yeah I figured I was way late. LOL I'm thinking about giving the Ming Shi a shot. Specs say it weighs 97 grams, as compared to the real thing at 90. Qshave says theirs is 100.

18. RetLEO-07

:) OOORAH!!

19. Bama Samurai

Actually, I apologize.

It's the basis of how the USMC completely dominates infantry engagements.

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable (Arko) August!!!

August 1

Razor - Soviet Consul Adjustable (5)
    Blade - voskhod-teflon-coated.jpg (1)
    Soap - Dirty Deeds Tobacco
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Post - Alum

My focus for August is simple. Back to Grand Blade Trials. Since I'm using the adjustables it's a good month to give some more blades a shot and find out what I can. I have narrowed down some that I will be using, but more on that later. For the first shave of the month I decided (since it still leaves 30 days in August) to go Soviet style tonight. I got out the Consul adjustable, set it on 5 (which is close to 9 on a Gillette) and popped in a most glorious Voskhod. Prior to my face shave I loaded a brand new Astra Superior Platinum into the Merkur 23c for the head shave with Proraso and the Semogue 620.

The Omega did a better than fine job with the Dirty Deeds soap. Great lather and it kept me from adding any blood to the shave. Two passes and touch up for a near-BBS with some fairly warm alum, but that just means it was a close shave with this razor. I still like the fact I found a Soviet razor that actually shaves without making me want to either throw it through a window or just cut my wrists and be done with it.

Overall a good start to the month and it will be off to the races in the Trial tomorrow. I will be doing some work back through the Dorco blades this month, including the Dollar General el-cheapo versions. I stopped and got those today for a whole dollar. I know, big spender.

Thought I'd put all the gear from both shaves tonight in the picture. And, as a bonus, I found the picture I took two years ago for August 1, 2015. I used the same brush and a Slim, apparently. The Omega was only a couple of weeks old back then. I had bought it during No-buy July and it cost me the title. Hence, the "Brush-o-Shame". Good times.

August 1.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.