August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful lineup and photo Mark.

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Perry!

4. Norcalnewb

Wonderful picture, Mark! The brass really stands out.

5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

August 22, 2017- Tech Tuesday and STD-301 Rigidness Test #2

Razor: Gillette Super Blue Blade (a.k.a., Sterling Tech)
    Blade: Dorco STD-301 (a.k.a., Dollar Store Dorco) (2)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

It occurred to me this morning that I might have another razor which might clamp the STD-301 with sufficient rigidity- my travel razor, a Chinese Gillette Super Blue Blade razor.

For those who have recently joined us, you may not be aware that Gillette still markets a version of the venerable Tech razor in select markets. These razors are sold with Indian 7 o'Clock Sterling blades, Chinese Gillette Super Blue blades, and Russian Gillette Rubie blades. The most common version of the razor seems to be the 7 o'Clock Sterling one and these razors are informally referred to as the "Sterling Tech". It is based on the design which Gillette used from the '60s onward and most closely resembles the Gillette G1000. (For all anyone knows, it may be being produced using the same equipment.)

As for the shave... My assumptions appear to be correct in that the razor clamps the blade nicely and, like with the OT, the blade behaves completely differently in a razor which can clamp it rigidly enough. I have to agree with Neal that this is not the sharpest blade though it can perform well with the right razor. I'll call this a DFS but could probably have hit BBS with a bit more care and attention. No issues, no irritation, and an improvement over how it performed on Sunday with the Thick-Cap OT.

This has been a strange experience. It's interesting to see a blade which I had written off initially perform so well. In this case, the problem was the choice of razor; this blade is so freakishly thin that it needs good clamping to avoid chatter. I suspect that rules out most TTO razors (I first tried this blade almost two years ago on a '60s SuperSpeed.) and even some three-piece razors. It is has also been interesting to realize how reading about other people's experiences get me to reexamine my own assumptions and approaches to hardware and software. For this, I thank you all.

A final thought... Neal, is blade thickness/rigidity something that needs to be considered in the Grand Blade Trials, going forward? I wonder if any other underperforming blades might be helped by a change in razor.

6. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Brian. The razor and brush really go well together.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. This razor is becoming one of my favorites.

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096:

9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Tuesday morning August 22

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 1 )
    Omega B+B Essential Boar
    My Red Green Duct Tape Special frankensoap
    Alum

Yesterday was sunny for the eclipse; today has reverted to gloomy, chilly and overcast. I will probably splash on some Clubman VIBR later after my shower and before I go out to run errands.

For this morning's shave, after a cool water face wash, I reached for known reliable equipment for a comfortable experience. I haven't used the Omega boar brush for awhile but it always performs well. It's the only boar brush I own, alongside two badgers and six synthetics (soon to be five as I am PIFing one). I am actually considering picking up a Semogue Owner's Club boar to keep it company.

The Italian Omega brush did a good job lathering up my soft Italian almond frankensoap. Then the superb Rockwell 6s loaded with the okay Indian blade delivered a near BBS in two passes. I used no postshave products after the alum rub and so far my face feels fine without any extra pampering. The Italian almond soaps all deliver a good postshave feel on their own.

Hope everyone has a good Tuesday.

10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks amigo! :happy088:

11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

August 22nd
    Gillette Black Beauty w Polsilver (2)
    B&M Seville
    TGN Finest Fan
    Thayers
    Stirling Barbershop AS

FullSizeRender (3).jpg Another nice 'Adjustable August' shave this morning with the SA-109. The TGN Fan face-lathered a nice smelling, thick lather with the Seville and 3 passes later I was DFS+ at 7,7,7 on the dial. I probably could have chased the baby a bit with touch ups, but didn't. I did give myself a weeper on my chin this morning that was dedicated enough to challenge the Styptic; first time I've needed to bring in out in several weeks. Finished with the Barbershop and was off for an early morning meeting.
    Have a great day, all!

12. jtspartan

Every time you post a picture of that brush, Keith, I am mesmerized by it. Just beautiful.

Keithmax, RyX, FaceScraper and 5 others like this.
  13. jtspartan

I just picked up another boar knot as well, John. Did you forego postshave products for today only, or are you 'focussing' on not using them for awhile?

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

+1

15. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Today's learning came to me by way of my newly acquired Thater brush that I picked up at a deep discount price due to it shedding a hair here and there. The guy I bought it from hadn't used it in his rotation enough to determine if it was early minor shedding of a dense brush that will likely stop, or if it was possibly a "shedder". Only time will tell, but for $50, I figured it was worth giving it a shot to see what all the buzz was about with these high end knots. So far, my initial observations are that face feel is quite soft; halfway between my current silvertips and a plissoft. Also, lather was easier to make than with any of my other brushes. So far I'm very favorably impressed.
    In other news, I have decided that Pharoah's Dreamsicle is absolutely, hands down my favorite Stirling soap. The scent description does it no justice whatsoever. I don't smell creamsicle at all (and I should know, I make them for a living). The blend of orange, vanilla, and egyptian musk is beautiful, slightly complex, and smells much more beautiful and sophisticated than its description.
    View attachment 143948

Keithmax, Rufus T., RyX and 10 others like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

An M was the first injector I ever owned. It led to me pretty much giving up DE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

This was a great shave if I keep getting these kind of results I might change too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Screwtape

It was more a case of me being a lazy indecisive slob today than any start of a focussed plan to quit using postshave products. Now that you mention it, however, I think I may stop using postshave products including even Thayers WH for the rest of the month and see what the four mainstay soaps I have on deck to use right now feel like just on their own (my Italian soft almond soap melange, The Fat, Arko and Haslinger Schafmilch)...

What handle are you going to put the boar knot in? Will it be premiering here soon?

19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

That may be the M that I have now. Great razor!

Yep....I did the same. Haven't used a DE in probably 18 months and don't plan on it.

20. Screwtape

That's a beautiful brush you picked up at a great price, Randy. I have never owned a Thater but from what I have read about them, I doubt the hair loss was anything more than a dense brush dropping a couple early on.

Is the new love for Pharoah's Dreamsicle a permanent thing or more of an interim declaration made while only partway through Stirling's scent list?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.