August 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2018.

?

What's your choice of an adjustable for August?

1. Fatboy

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Slim

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Black Beauty

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Toggle

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Schick "M"

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. More than one

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. Something else

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  8. Dedicated Dark Sider - straights all the way!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. Arko with whatever I use.

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Cookies. They're real. We saw them. There's proof.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

That's an upstanding shave right there. Great job, Andrew!

Norcalnewb, Linuxguile, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Have a great trip, Jim. Good news on the security checkpoint!

Norcalnewb, Linuxguile, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Charlie!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb, Linuxguile, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thursday Shave

Decided to go with the prison shank razor, another easy to handle kami. Getting near the end of this puck of Stirling, one or two shaves left.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A

Razor: Joe Edson symmetrical kamisori prison shank
    Strop: Dr Gulch black latigo
    Brush: Handle by Rudy Vey, Shavemac D01 knot
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Stirling
    AS: Enhanced Florida Water AS, Stirling AS
    Scent: Hermes Terre de Hermes

ID - 1.jpg

5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

August 1, 2018- Astra August, anyone?

Razor: Gillette New SC
    Blade: Astra SP (1)
    Brush: 30DC LE/Pure Badger
    Soap: Der Vergulde Hand

I was all set to start the month with an Adjustable when I heard the siren call of my New SC. So, in a moment of inspiration, I loaded an Astra SP to stay with the 'A' theme. I haven't gone with an Astra in a while as I've been deep in the Dorcos and 7 o'Clock Indian Greens lately.

The Astra SP is actually a nice match for the New SC as it has much less blade feel. The resulting combo is deceptively sharp and efficient and, apparently, wants a lighter touch than I was using as I ended up with a weeper and some noise from the Alum. A great BBS, though... :)

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks Charlie!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Now that you have several Karve plates, how would you compare them to the dial settings on a Gillette adjustable? Or a similar benchmark?

Norcalnewb, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Wait.........what?!?! Are you saying the Easter Bunny isn't real. Hey there pal of mine - it's one thing to stir up your ill-conceived and potentially dangerous rebellion over cookies but let's not get stupid and commit blasphemy against the almighty long eared one! Them's fightin' words!

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Yeah, what do you think made those deep rabbit holes we all fell into! Not Peter Cottontail, that's for sure!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable (Arko) Anything Goes and whatever else we decide AUGUST!!!!

August 1

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (3)
    Blade - Personna 74.jpg (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #54
    Post - Alum

And it's away we go! I'm starting the month with a blade trial for the Personna 74 sent to me by he whose name shall not be named. Although, from what I gather, he's nicer than that other guy whose name shall not be named in a certain series of British children's books and movies. Standard trial protocol with three shaves. First one is today with the Slim set on 3 for the mild run. Tomorrow is 6, then wide open on Friday. Once I have done the standard trial I am planning to stay with this blade until it just won't shave anymore. This blade has a reputation of being perhaps the best made and very durable. We'll see.

I noticed @Primotenore is also loading P74's and he also used a mild razor tonight. I can totally agree with his sentiment that the mild setting provides a challenge to get the angle precisely on target. I'm used to using aggressive razors since I haven't been doing trials for awhile. It took just a bit of trial and error to get that angle right. Add to the challenge of getting the angle right the quietness and sharpness of this blade. Yeah, it's smooth and it's sharp. No doubt about it. I honestly couldn't feel the blade working, but could barely pick up the sound. That's a compliment for the blade on day one.

Three passes and a DFS is the result. No issues and the alum was silent, as I expected. Something tells me this blade is going to impress me but......the jury will remain out.

Some great shaves already this month as we get started! Looking forward to a fantastic month!

August 1 2018.JPG

11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

August 1st
    Short Handled Black Beauty
    PermaSharp Super (1)
    First Canadian Maximo Gomez SS
    WD HM Badger / Cypress
    Thayers
    Jeeves Tobacco & Bay AS
    BA4A0AC7-5550-4A02-9B6B-DF32995C86CC.jpeg
    First day with the SA-84 for Adjustable August. Got a decent lather, but had a rough feeling couple of passes set on 7, along with a few weepers. I usually do better with this combo, guess I’m out of practice a bit with this razor. The good news is it grows back and I get to try again.
    Have a great night all!

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I love the look of that shank kamisori. I need one. Well, ok, so I want one. Same thing, right?

Norcalnewb, Linuxguile, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That is an awesome looking razor. Love the contrast between the handle and head. Really stunning.

Norcalnewb, Linuxguile, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thanks, Neal. I won it in one of the TSD raffles last year. It is in great shape, and turned out to be a birth year razor to boot.

wristwatchb, Norcalnewb, RyX and 7 others like this.
  15. Keithmax

In my option you need one. :signs136: Perfect for the cartel leader.

16. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Guess I'm a little late to the party, but I guess I'm more any thing goes August. I've really got into my straight razors, but I have my adjustable's too. I'll try and rotate my adjustable's between my straights. I've got 5 different adjustable razors, Fatboy, Executive, Slim, Black Beauty, and Schick M adjustable. Only Gillette I don't have yet is a Toggle. I've got 15 straights but only about 8 or 9 are shave ready, plus 3 shavette's

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The D plate has very little blade feel while being very efficient. I would say it has close to the blade feel of a Slim on 4 but with the efficiency closer to a 9. I really couldn’t tell much difference in efficiency between the D and E plates. I will use the F plate for the first time this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic photo Jason. The SA looks to be in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Keithmax

Straights, in which I include shavettes are the most adjustable of all razors, so even with straights your in.

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

August 2nd
    Razor: Timeless .95 SC
    Blade: PermaSharp Stainless (1)
    Brush: Razorock Bruce synth
    Soap: Stirling Orange Chill
    Stirling Orange Chill witch hazel
    AS: Stirling Orange Chill

Travel shaving is something new to me. Normally when we go on vacation I take a vacation from shaving too. I'm enjoying my shaves now so I brought some shave gear along. Great shave this morning. Two pass with touch up with near BBS results.

We're going to explore the French District today, hopefully walk off all the food we eat.

Have a great day! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.