August 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Jul 31, 2020.

?

How are you going to make AUgust your gold medal month?

1. I am going to choose only the gear that gives me my best shaves.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I am going to experiment with different gear to discover my gold medal shaves.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I am going to use any gear I want, because I can get a gold medal shave from anything.

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  4. I am actually allergic to gold, so I am going to go for platinum medal shaves.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. I am going to use Gold Medal flour and bake cookies, which have been noticeably absent recently.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Thanks Gents.

@Droo78
    All start with the Simple Minds album "Once Upon a Time".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_(Simple_Minds_album)
    Perfect for my AUgust test theme, "Wax Upon a Time".

jgreenepa, dvdhviid, brit and 4 others like this.
  2. ischiapp

SOTD 20200811 Cera Una Volta
    by IschiaPP @ Forio
    •••
    Omega 90081
    Beehive, Syntex Synth Gen1, 22x50x104mm, Fanshape
    ---
    Saponificio Varesino 1945 "Dolomiti"
    Special Edition 2016 Black, Beta4.0 Shaving Soap
    ---
    Colonial Razors "The General V1"
    Aluminium 6061, Black Anodized B1, 44g, 50x96mm
    ---
    Sapphoo Red #33
    Kai Captain Titan Mild MG ProTouch Replica
    Sample by klopp@ilRasoio
    ---
    La Toja After Shave Locion Hidrotermal
    •••
    #Shave #WetShaving #WetShavers
    #ShaveOfTheDay #ShaveLikeaMan
    #WaxUponATime #CeraUnaVolta
    #ShavingSoap #AUgust #Test
    [​IMG]
    Full size:
    https://i.imgur.com/X4ywKdZ.jpg
    Soundtrack:
    Tears For Fears - Sowing The Seeds Of Love

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Lovely photo and shave Pierpaolo.

jgreenepa, brit, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I wish I could have today' shave back. It wasn't terrible, but enough to be upset. 0:25 at the loading dock and that resulted in a nice amount of soap onto the Stoylin "li'l brudder" brush. This was the middle round of the Stoylin Glacial Electric Sheep set. Good crisp spreading across the face and neck. Got the cheeks pretty good...headed for Porcupine Alley North(between the nose and upper lip), and...BAM....a cut developed at the first effort. I had to work with it for the rest of the shave-meaning making sure it got some cold water onto it...washing, rinsing. It didn't settle down until near the end of the 2nd pass. But in the meantime, right cheek was good. Porcupine South was hit with a (New York)nick. Not as harmful as the cut on North, but you still don't like it, y'know? Good on the jawline, and below at Cactus Nation. I must face facts here and give the shave a Pretty Excellent.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  5. ischiapp

I really enjoied !!!

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 2 others like this.
  6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I am so happy for both of you! Your ice cream adventures with your friends sounds like fun! Thanks Charlie for asking, but I am doing well. C-19 didn't physically touch me so I am thankful for that blessing. I will keep praying for you guys.

jgreenepa, wristwatchb, brit and 3 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Bravo Jim!

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  8. Trigger

I agree Joe! I didn't waste my time reading the article because the answer to that question is quite obvious to every shaver.

JACarbone, jgreenepa, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. Trigger

Sorry about the cuts Paul. However, I like the reference to one of my local basketball teams, the NY Knicks.

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

August 11, 2020
    Blackland Brass Bird
    Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow
    Semogue Torga C5
    Asylum Colonia
    Shave Soap & Aftershave

[​IMG]

Happy Tuesday everyone. Monday was a very rare no shave day for me. I felt like crap all night long and it only got worse after I woke up. I have a long history of stomach and colon problems and this just seems to be the latest round. Luckily I have an appointment tomorrow with the GI doctor. I don't have any symptoms of Covid but I do have a rapid results test this afternoon. I took one earlier this year for a client reopening their office and the results were emailed before I returned home.

Enough about the bad stuff now on to this morning's shave. I just went with what I had laid out for yesterday. I really like this little Semogue boar with its ergonomic handle. The brush arrived without the barnyard smell and has started to break-in very nicely. I really like SV soaps and the Colonia is no exception. I find the SV soaps to be easy to load and lather. Since the soaps are triple milled they should last a very long time. With a day off, I had plenty of stubble to erase and the Brass Bird did a wonderful job. I really did have to work hard on my lower right neck to catch the baby but the results were worth the effort. A splash of the Colonia aftershave left me feeling and smelling great. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

11. Paul Turner

Well then, I just may work it into my routine, even without the parenthsees :). Right, shave could have been better...it's especially rough when you get the cut RIGHT AWAY, while on Porcupine Alley North. Makes it hard to focus on the rest of the Alley.

jgreenepa, Trigger, brit and 2 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Of course we need a study. After all someone has to get the research grant money and spend it. Might as well study razor blades as the nocturnal eating habits of ants. ;)

b1hart, jgreenepa, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Course you'll have to get ants who sleep ONLY when we are awake.

jgreenepa, Trigger, brit and 3 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hope you feel better soon, Clint.

jgreenepa, Trigger, brit and 4 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Joseph. I am much better today. Yesterday this time, I was hurting so bad that I seriously considered going to the ER. The last time I did that I ended up with a big bill and a referral to my GI doctor.

jgreenepa, Trigger, brit and 4 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    AUgust Focus
    [​IMG]
    Tallow & Steel Indian Bay~~Thäter 4125/2~~Feather AS-D2/Sharp Star~~Burt's Bees Bay Rum
    With this shave, I am starting a mini-focus for AUgust.
    Three new soaps arrived yesterday, all Tallow & Steel, a brand I have never tried before.
    First up, Indian Bay.
    From the T&S Website:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 09.40.33.png
    The ingredient list:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 09.40.49.png
    The soap is quite firm, but nowhere near a triple-milled soap.
    Firmer than B&M, and slightly firmer than Stirling.
    The tubs are a typical 4" diameter and filled with 3oz of soap, which comes to about halfway up the sides.
    The lather begins quite pasty and gooey. I needed to empty the breach twice,
    the second time, I actually dipped my brush fully into the water, and lightly shook it out.
    This is what the soap seemed to require---uber-hydration.
    Results were quite impressive.

[​IMG]
    The scent is anything but your typical Bay Rum, indeed, while my nose detected Bay,
    It got more coriander and citrus.
    To the face and this soap mos def© is a contender. In fact, it goes on superbly.
    Shine-extraordinaire and with the
    Feather AS-D2 loaded with a fresh Sharp Star,
    the slickness was outstanding. A+
    It's very rare, when I can perform a lateral stroke on my neck without some kind of
    irritating sensation...but not today. No sir.
    One of THE slickest soaps I have ever used.
    Post-shave was stellar, and I was reticent about using my witch hazel to clean out my pores,
    so soft and hydrated was my skin.
    The biggest challenge I had was choosing the post-shave scent.
    I picked out the Burt's Bees, because as far as a Bay Rum goes, this, too, is unique.
    Spicy, woodsy and rich.
    Super-impressed.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  17. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, AUGUST 11, 2020

The Double Duck is rapidly becoming my favorite straight razor. It seems to hold an edge better than any other I’m currently using. It feels better in hand. The Le Coq Cage Head is also a very efficient shaver with a relatively wide sweet spot. It cleaned up the neck and delivered a one and 1/2 pass dome shave resulting in my desired velveteen state. I feel cool, refreshed, and very smooth. The baby (VBBS) is put to bed!

RAZOR: Double Duck Goldedge (Mug), NOS Le Coq Cage Head (DomeJ
    BLADE: Polsilver
    BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

028EC7EC-A76E-4A9A-8AC6-AA7A62B82BB8.jpeg D7E10273-A10E-4764-93BC-2C2434F87A93.jpeg

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent shave report and photos Joseph. Thanks for writing the review on the soap. I was curious about the Indian Bay scent in particular and T&S in general. I didn't realize the soap was 3 oz. Thanks for pointing that out.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The Le Coq Cage Head is one very cool looking razor Jeff. I never tire of seeing it in your photos.

20. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Excellent shave, Jim! The razor is still a great looking piece even with the disappointments you've mentioned.

jgreenepa, Trigger, jluc and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.