August 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Jul 31, 2020.

?

How are you going to make AUgust your gold medal month?

1. I am going to choose only the gear that gives me my best shaves.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I am going to experiment with different gear to discover my gold medal shaves.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I am going to use any gear I want, because I can get a gold medal shave from anything.

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  4. I am actually allergic to gold, so I am going to go for platinum medal shaves.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. I am going to use Gold Medal flour and bake cookies, which have been noticeably absent recently.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Pair it with one of your CH2 Synthetic brushes. ;) That should help making a dent in the soap.

FaceScraper, Droo78, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

So it isn't as thin. That makes sense. As far as metallurgy, I have spent a few hours reading about heat treating steel, but that is about it. I've only heat treated a few blades that I still need to finish. In the summer the shop is about 110 F and I usually pursue other hobbies for a couple months.

On that note I am still working to finish the blades I started in May, but that may wait until late September when I can stand to be in the shop again.

3. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Congratulations on 31 years and a great shave Jim. I'm sure your wife appreciates the smooth kissable face. Have a wonderful day!

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    AUgust Focus
    [​IMG]
    Turtleship Shave Co.~~H.L. Thäter 4125/2~~1947 Gillette Super-Speed/Gillette Silver Blue~~SMN Patchouli
    Mos def© standing on the medal platform with today's shave.
    Put the new Thäter to work and while this fan knot measures, by my calipers, 25mm,
    it works MUCH bigger.
    Super-soft. Repeat: Super-soft.
    Third Thäter I have owned and this knot is the best.
    Handle, while interesting, is a tad small for my taste.

Loaded "on the puck" this morning and went right to the face.
    I said it once and I'll say it again, this soap base performs FAR beyond its price point.
    When I look around at the soaps in my den, there is nothing that compares.
    I am not saying it's the very best, but in terms of consistency, latherability (sic)
    slickness and post-shave, it's just amazing.
    I had a much better experience with the Gillette Silver Blue this time around.
    The shave was ultra smooth and efficient, resulting in a DFS+++
    Santa Maria Novella is one of my favorite companies.
    I have candles and candle holders, soap dishes, and potpourri, in addition to my
    colognes and aftershaves. Check them out.
    The patchouli aftershave really feels and smells great and the fact that
    it doesn't get the thumbs-down from Dr. Mrs. Primo is just icing on the cake.

5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Evan!
    I hope you have a wonderful day as well!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MrEE, FaceScraper, brit and 2 others like this.
  6. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

SOTD 20200804 Cera Una Volta
    by IschiaPP @ Forio
    •••
    Liojuny Shaving "Tampa"
    Finest Badger 3-band, 23x54x114mm
    ---
    Saponificio Varesino 1945 "Asylum Colonia"
    Limited Edition 2018 Bullgoose Shaving
    Beta4.3 Shaving Soap / After Shave Lotion
    ---
    Colonial Razors "The General V1"
    Aluminium 6061, Black Anodized B1, 44g, 50x96mm
    ---
    Sapphoo Red #26
    Kai Captain Titan Mild MG ProTouch Replica
    Sample by klopp@ilRasoio
    •••
    #Shave #WetShaving #WetShavers
    #ShaveOfTheDay #ShaveLikeaMan
    #WaxUponATime #CeraUnaVolta
    #ShavingSoap #AUgust #Test
    [​IMG]
    Full size:
    https://i.imgur.com/atWEbg2.jpg
    Soundtrack:
    Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop

7. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

Thanks to all the guys who gave me advice on how to affordably test the waters of AC Shavette shaving, especially JACarbone. who gave me some recommendations what I could start with.
    As it's a clone taking the slow boat from AliBaba I probably won't see it until next month.

After 2 months of all (mostly ) Wunderbar and then my Rex. I will play around this month with the razor I got to replace the Wunderbar, an ATT S1/S2 + Gillette Silver Blue with and occasional Colonial General.

I am finding I turn to the CG if I had a rough shave and want a healing break or want a quick shave as it feels so mild yet fairly efficient that it's a face or time saver. However I've only done 1 or 2 pass shaves with it so far, so no BBS shaves on it yet. tends to be when I missed shaving in the PM and need to get out the door in the AM, I am no morning person.
    I'm thinking about looking up just how to/what to use to polish up the head of the CG, so it pairs better with the Titanium Halo handle it sits atop.
    I'll use my MWF soap when it arrives as my lifetime supply of Arko is getting a bit boring.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  8. dvdhviid

Do you do your head with a Shavette too?

clint64, FaceScraper, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

August 4, 2020

Wolfman WR-2 OC w WRH7 SS
    Wizamet Super Iridium
    Heritage Collection Shaving Merit 99-5
    Barrister and Mann Cheshire Soap & Aftershave
    Terre D'Hermes

[​IMG]

10. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I want to give an alert for great customer service. Sunday evening, I ordered a product that I had been wanting to try from West Coast Shaving. The next morning I received an email from them stating the product is actually out of stock. They offered to either refund my money, hold the money until the item is back in stock, or replace the item with another that’s in stock currently. I replied to express my disappointment of the item being out of stock and suggested that, in the spirit of great customer service, they could replace the item with another item I want that happens to cost $9 more (with them covering the cost variance). Well, this morning they replied they’d be glad to do that and my order is now shipped.

11. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

9876FF42-DE1A-422B-9C4D-EF30933F892B.jpeg

First use of the Semogue boar this morning. Unfortunately, the brush just swallowed up the lather. I was able to get a smooth shave using the the film the brush produced. This turned into a hybrid type shave, not my usual three passes, with many areas requiring buffing.

As a result, I will be soaking the brush in some soapy water with a follow up of a lathering with one of my triple milled soaps. The brush will remain full of the soap for several hours, then rinsed and dried.

Hopefully the next shave will be better. Have a great day gentlemen.

Rating: 3.5 / 5

Razor: Gillette SS Red Tip TTO (1959 E-1)
    Blade: Treet Classic
    Brush: Semogue Torga C5
    Lather: Hub City Pipe Dreams
    Aftershave: Hub City Pipe Dreams
    Additional Care:
    Barbero Alum Block
    Thayer's Witch Hazel - Aloe Vera
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  12. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Awesome Keith!

13. dvdhviid

He seems like a good guy on the interweb.

clint64, FaceScraper, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  14. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Stellar shave Maestro! It's a plus when the wife appreciates it also!

15. Trigger

I do shave my head with my shavettes and straights, but it is a rare occurance. It takes too much time because it is hard to shave the posterior's curvy areas and some of the other spots to get it a BBS. I do it because I want to keep my open blade skills to be at my best. However, I prefer to use my Schick E3 Injector, Jones's Shakesharp, my Rockwell 6C and Model T for my headshaves because I get great and easier results. The Schick gives my the best performance for my headshaves with the Shakesharp coming in second.

16. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Terrific shave setup, Keith. Amazing razor and brush too.

17. Trigger

Nice shave Joe! I used my Semogue this morning and it is my least favorite badger because it is really a lather hog. I hate manipulating the bristles to unleash lather.

18. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Great shave, Jim! Happy Anniversary!!!

clint64, FaceScraper, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

awesome ss shave and pic Joseph..good morning..

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Andrew!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

clint64, FaceScraper, Trigger and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.