August 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus & Discussion. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Jul 31, 2021.

?

Will you include an Adjustable and Arko in your shaves this month?

1. Yes! I am a committed Arko and Adjustable shaver.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. No! If I am going to shave with something smelly, I'll use Tabac.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Adjustable, Yes! Arko, No way, José.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Adjustables are for kids.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. Love me some Arko, yes, yes, YES!!!

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  6. The only time I will use Arko, is grated on ice cream.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to the August edition of the most popular, informative, fast-moving thread on TSD and, perhaps, all of the known, shaving-universe.
    We are smack-dab in the middle of summer and we’re turning up the heat with great shaves; piquant commentary; Louvre-worthy photography and Animal House brotherhood.
    Animal House.jpg
    The month of August was named after Augustus Caesar, a.k.a. Gaius Octavius Thurinus.
    caesar.jpg
    Augustus Caesar
    23 September 63 BC – 19 August 14 AD
    OK, enough world history, let’s get down to brass tacks. We are gathered here for many reasons, but the over-arching theme is our common love of wet-shaving. Some of us have been performing this daily ritual for well-over half of a century, and some are just getting into our hobby.
    For those less-experienced wet-shavers, we offer the 30 Day Challenge/Focus.

Let’s begin with the most advanced challenge, the RULE.
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, this is mos def© a challenge. Are you up for really learning how to get a great shave?, create the most sumptuous lather?, emit a sillage, that no other human being will be able to ignore? Then, consider making August a “rule” month.

If a Rule sounds like too much of a commitment, we have just the alternative, The Focus.
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements. This is also a challenge, but is more accessible to the average shaver. It can also help to reduce soaps, if the den is beginning to burst at the seams.

Whenever groups of people come together, it’s important to set the ground rules:
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread and indeed, off of TSD.

August is the month to break out the Arko and the adjustable razors.

qnqococn.jpg qpqpoqp.jpg qe,q'c'.jpg
    In keeping with tradition, let’s see all of those FatBoys, Toggles, Rex’s, Merkurs, etc. Crank ‘em up for some real blade-feel...
    orc.jpg
    or dial ‘em down for a milder experience.
    Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 08.07.49.png
    Let's crack open the world-famous, Turkish urinal cakes and lather like it's 1999.

UrinalCakes.jpg
    iu.jpg

:bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017::bounce017:

The original purpose of the thread was to educate and I am still committed to that premise, so when you make your reports, please include one “tip” for a fellow shaver.
    Here’s to a great month with 31 great shaves!

"To Shave, Share, Support and Educate"©

awk-m4, Hembree, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I like the tip idea, Joseph!! I will try to do that, knowing that many of you are more experienced than me in wet=shaving, but many are less so, too. I'm in. For me, the best "name" I have for August would be "Agadir August", but it does stay too warm for that. Still, it's a "cooling" aftershave, so I'll try it once and see how my skin(and mind)feels. Jury Duty calls for me this month. If I'm selected for a case, that would cut into time spent in TSD. Course I hope to just go up, serve, and get back for lunch, and that would be it. What a fun group we have, and that is what shave education should be-FUN. Here's to an "Awesome August" in our shaves. :)

3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Adjustable August it’ll be! I’ll break out the Slim, the Fatboy (not me, the razor), the Rex, the Black Beauty, the Famex, the Red Ring, and a newly acquired Adjustable Injector from Parker and that’s just for the noggin! I’ll keep cycling through the usual straights and my two shavettes to keep the old mug kissable for the bride! :D

jmudrick, JACarbone, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

Anything August for me it think,but i'll bring out the slim and arko to play along..Maybe a mini focus..;):eatdrink047:

awk-m4, JACarbone, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for Adjustable August without Arko. ;) I look forward to participating this month.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I will adjust my schedule so I can drop by at least once a week.

JACarbone, Hembree, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I will use the Arko more frequently than I have in the past and scatter my use of adjustables along with my other razors.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    JACarbone, Hembree, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Adjustable August? Who is driving a Pearl Flexi? I'll be watching! :D

JACarbone, Hembree, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

sat/sun/split
    brit fb new
    platinum
    soc taj boar
    tfs
    floid

20210731_100401_edited.jpg

2021-07-31 10.10_edited.jpg

good day gents
    way past midnight shave with the brit new oc/platinum combo.
    just like hopping into an old brit sports car.
    it knows what to do.boot to the mat and you've just got to steer it,rowing the gears to keep the revs under the limiter.
    smooth 2 passer with a proraso green pre mix/hot towel prep,fine tfs lather.no wipe outs on the hot lap
    floid black to seal it in.

awesome:)

thought i would try out a new rfb handle with it,nice balance,fine shaver.;) 20210731_100401_edited1.jpg

nice long weekend here with my lovely wife.:)
    have a great one gents.
    :eatdrink047:

awk-m4, JACarbone, Hembree and 9 others like this.
  10. jgreenepa

29FFCB85-0AAD-4252-B336-6A0D505389FD.jpeg
    SUNDAY MORNING, AUGUST 1, 2021

In keeping with the theme of adjustable August, I’ll kick off my first dome shave with the Rex Ambassador and the C-Mon Special 11/16. Glen Mercurio recommended this Italian slate as a touch up/finisher and I really like the edge it delivered to the C-Mon Special. The gold wash has maintained nicely on the tang and heel of the blade on this grand old lady, and with her refinished edge, refined beautifully on Howard Schecter’s pasted “Constroption”, she swept away the mug stubble in the normal three passes. The Rex Ambassador followed up in grand fashion on the noggin in two ATG passes leaving yours truly velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: C-Mon Special 11/16 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
    BLADE: Kai DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime (Indian Version)

awk-m4, brit, JACarbone and 10 others like this.
  11. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Thanks Joseph. Continuing to use what I like on whatever whim I have but continuing my focus on soap destroying.
    Sunday August 1, 2021
    Razor: Star Lather Catcher
    Blade: Gem SS (6)
    Brush: Graydog Cocobolo/Synbad
    Soap: Test Soap (early)
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: CHH Tobacco
    Fragrance: Acqua Di Gio Profumo
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 998

IMG_20210801_055105091.jpg

brit, Hembree, wristwatchb and 9 others like this.
  12. jgreenepa

Lovely Floyd/RFB shave, Gary! Good morning! :)

brit, Hembree, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  13. jgreenepa

Great shave, Dave! Enjoy your morning!:)

brit, Hembree, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  14. Dave in KY

Thanks Jeff and hope you have a GREAT day also !

brit, Hembree, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It has been hot and muggy so I have been doing cold weather shaves with menthol enhanced soaps. Kicked off the month with Stirling Lemon Chill. My Dovo Bismarck 2 continues to be a joy, it was my first 'fancy' razor. A Shavemac brush joined the party for the excellent Sunday shave. I hope everyone is staying cool wherever you are.
    ID - 1 (2).jpeg

brit, Hembree, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  16. Trigger

Very nice shave Gary! You are up early this morning!

17. Trigger

Beautiful shaves Jeff! C-Mon razors really have great edges when properly honed. I am glad that I own 2. Enjoy your day!

18. Trigger

Great shave and gear Dave. I will check out the vid. later. Have a great day!

19. Trigger

Excellent shave Keith! Enjoy your day!

20. Dave in KY

Thanks Joe, you too !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.