August 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 31, 2015.

?

Did you participate in "No Buy July"?

Poll closed Aug 28, 2015.
  1. Yes, completed it!

32.6%
  2. Yes, but fell off the wagon. :-(

15.2%
  3. No

32.6%
  4. What is No Buy July?

6.5%
  5. I am just here for the cookies.

13.0%
  1. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

1959 E3 Gillette Fat Boy on 6
    Vulfix Super Badger (660)
    Georgetown G12 Scuttle
    Noxzema
    Proraso Sandalwood cream
    Pinaud Clubman

Shave #1 with the Shark Super Chrome stainless steel in my '59 Fat Boy set to 6. Paid attention to the angle and once again tried to ride the edge of the cap.
    IMG_2012.JPG
    2 Full passes: Pass 1 WTG on my face and XTG on my neck. Pass 2: ATG. Comfortable shave. Left me with solid DFS at this point. Did cold water rinse and touch up. Another cold water rinse found almost as many whiskers as the last one, so I did another touch up. After the next cold water rinse I applied the Pinaud Clubman After Shave for the first time. The Pinaud stung a bit but quieted down quickly. It seems like the aroma will last a long time.

A smooth and comfortable shave from the Shark Super Chrome today. Even though I did two targeted touch ups, I just couldn't get one of my trouble spots. Near BBS, but not quite what I've gotten lately from my other blades.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

Phoenix Comparison Focus Day 29:

Chateau du Bois SC
    Phoenix Dbl OC
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Skin Bracer

Thus may not technically be part of my focus, as I am not going to compare any more razors, but I did try this new SC today. It is a non foaming cream my parents got me while they were in France. The scent is terrific, and it worked a bit better than I hoped. I don't know that it would replace any of my other soaps or creams, but it certainly gets the job done, and I am irritation free this morning.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    August 30, 2015
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Energizing Face Wash Boost
    Razor: Mongoose B3 Dr. Bomber Handle
    Blade: Kia Captain Titan Mild
    Brush: Omega 10098
    Lather: Knockout Shave Cotton
    Aftershave: RazoRock Baby Blue
    WOW! I love @KnockOut Shave Cotton! LOVE! My technique has really improved with the Mongoose, 3 pass smooth shave. I continue to be mindful of the 3 and done. The Omega 10098 is a very nice brush! Dig the handle. Baby Blue is so nice.
    Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE
    image.jpg

4. RaZorBurn123

The San Jose SaberCats won ArenaBowl XXVIII last night. :)
    image.jpg

5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

30 day Focus - Day 29
    MDC Lavender Face Lathered
    Voskhod Blade (Day 1 on blade, Day 5 on Voskhod)
    Slim Adjustable set to 8
    3 passes

This was a stellar shave today. The Voskhod blade is nice & smooth.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I will try that. Thanks!

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Is that a real team or did you just make that up? :)

Bill_F, Drygulch, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  8. mrchick

Welcome to the 30 day focus. There is one day left in the month. I'm sure you can focus that long

Bill_F, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

August Focus - Slim and Feather AC
    August 30
    Razor - Feather SS AC
    Blade - [​IMG]
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Soap - MItchell's Wool Fat
    Post - Cold water, Alum, Aqua Velva Musk

Well the end of the month has arrived. This is my 30th shave for the month so ending the focus on the Feather. Tomorrow will be a "free shave" and my next focus begins on Tuesday the 1st. Closing out on the BoSFat combo too. I almost want to just spend the day making lather with these two. Such a great pair and I love the scent of the Fat. That light soapy scent just says "clean" and SWMBO likes it too. Makes the shave extra special.

Went two passes with the Feather. First pass is just an automatic process now WTG. I have the Japanese style down, using only my right hand and turning to use the same edge of the razor. Feels very natural and, in fact, if I try a left hand pass on the left side it turns all kinds of awkward. XTG is still a bit weak but I can manage it so I will just keep at it on the days I use the Feather until it's automatic as well. Did a third pass with my '59 Super Speed and a Bic. Mostly touch up of the neck. Nothing major. Best news...no cuts, nicks, wounds, bleeding arteries or any other life-threatening injuries. A great way to end the month. Another thanks to @Keithmax for the CJB that started me down this path. It's been a great experience and will only get better I'm sure!

[​IMG]

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sorry what did you say?

Bill_F, Norcalnewb, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Squirrel!

Bill_F, Norcalnewb, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Would you like my address? :)

13. mrchick

[​IMG]

Bill_F, Norcalnewb, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  14. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

The what bowl? Ha!

Let's talk again when your home team wins a REAL championship like this one:

2015 LFL Champs Seattle Mist !!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440956740.404142.jpg

Bill_F, Norcalnewb, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Pinaud is a must-try, and an essential component of Barber Shop scent as it relates to actual Barber shops. Talc and Barbicide also figure prominently.

16. mrchick

I am staying with the Feather blade focus through August by continuing to use the last blade for five days. Today was day four and I still like it.
    SOTD
    Schick Krona
    Feather (2)
    AOS Shave Oil
    TOBS Coconut Cream
    AOS AS Balm
    WSP Beard Oil
    Pinaud Bay Rum (Now I smell like an old man that has been eating Coconut Cream Pie:))

This was another irritation free BBS with the Feather. If I can figure out how to get by day one, I might keep the Feather in my rotation.
    Happy Sunday!

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Mist? Ummmmm, yeah I'm going to avoid comment but hey, apparently football is king in any league in Seattle. Now, just imagine Richard Sherman in the LFL uniform. Yeah, you're welcome.

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

August 30

Batch 2 Mongoose with Dr. Bomber handle
    Feather Professional blade (1)
    Shavemac two-band silvertip brush
    Trumper's Coconut cream and glycerin
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Trumper's Coral Skin Food

I got a jumpstart on my SEptember focus with the Mongoose today. I first noticed the weight of the razor compared to my Gillette adjustables. The workmanship is top notch as well. The Shavemac brush generated a quick and protective lather compared to my EJ Synthetic. Overall, it was a fantastic DFS+ shave in two passes. It's easy to see why so many people like the Goose. It looks like a beast, provides a great shave, and is very forgiving. I hope to dial in my technique for a consistently close and comfortable two-pass shave using different brushes, soaps, and creams.
    Have a great week!

SOTD_083015.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  19. RaZorBurn123

Come on now. Yes it's a real team, they play at the SAP Center. I have never been to a game nor watched on TV. :bounce017:Yay SaberCats!! :bounce017:

20. RaZorBurn123

Beautiful!