August 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 31, 2015.

?

Did you participate in "No Buy July"?

Poll closed Aug 28, 2015.
  1. Yes, completed it!

32.6%
  2. Yes, but fell off the wagon. :-(

15.2%
  3. No

32.6%
  4. What is No Buy July?

6.5%
  5. I am just here for the cookies.

13.0%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Many thanks for such a thorough debriefing! I am with you...the Phoenix is a great razor for anyone, a true top performer. The comparison against FB is an interesting one, and one I need to investigate. See you in September!

2. Bama Samurai

Though I have one shave left...

The Wrap
    Goals

1) Produce a unique photo each day.
    2) Perfect the use of a shave stick by finding the optimal amount to apply before lathering.
    3) Optimize each shave through the use of SR style skin stretching and blade angle discipline.
    4) Evaluate the razor for inclusion into my rotation.
    5) Use an "old school" AS or a TSD exclusive each day.
    6) Shenanigans per usual.

Results

1) Accomplished
    2) I got the La Toja dialed in and loved it!
    3) I really focused on this, and it paid dividends in comfort and closeness.
    4) The Phoenix is a keeper! Best OC razor in my collection so far.
    5) Accomplished
    6) Oh yeah!

This was the best month yet! Our numbers, as well as our output, grew by a large amount! I would like to thank everyone who reads or participates in this thread. You guys make it happen daily! I look forward to a great month of injectors on the new thread! Technique is king, and almost anyone can be an expert in 30 Days. Keep up the great work!

Warm Regards,
    Chris​

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am the exception that proves the rule on this one! I am 300+ shaves in and still not an expert. I have learned a bunch from this thread, though. Thanks for putting it together each month.

wristwatchb, Bill_F, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

My pleasure! Thanks for inspiring me to spend a month on Phoenix. Totally worth it!

wristwatchb, Bill_F, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm 250 shaves in and still learning. You aren't alone

wristwatchb, Bill_F, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Chris, I have a La Toja shave stick that I've had for a couple of years, your focus has caused me to start looking for it. I've got to try this product.

wristwatchb, Bill_F, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

You surely should! It has really grown on me. It's as good as anything I've ever tried. :)

wristwatchb, Bill_F, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Day 30 - 31 August 2015

30 Day Rule - Phoenix OC

image.jpg
    A great two pass to finish up my strict rule! I am sad to see this end, I greatly enjoyed this kit and fully endorse product I've used this month. Headed to Denver with Mrs. Samurai for a show tonight. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a terrific Tuesday!
    :)

9. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Well I think that's why Chris said "almost anyone!" :happy068:

Seriously, I've got less than 100 shaves in, and humility aside - I'm working hard at this.
    Mostly it's easy to do the work because it is so much fun. But in the 30 days of focusing on one thing, I think we get pretty close to be a technique expert in that narrow focus - if we put the work in. Not on the entire shaving world, but on that one, or few, things we've chosen to study that month. I felt that recently, on Sunday when I took out my two-month training razor (Gillette Tech) and took a break from the adjustables. Shaving with it in my hand felt as natural as anything I do these days.

I will admit that I feel less that way after August because I was focusing on more than one thing - the Slim and the FB. I think my level of knowledge / confidence wanes a bit with too many variables or trying too many new things in a short period of time. (That's why I have a bit of trepidation going in to this month with a goal to "try" five razors.

But we're learning all the time. I can express things today about my experience - positive or negative - that I would never have had a feel for two months or even two weeks ago.

So when you guys write about your realizations and experiences - it shows! In order to make those critiques, you have to have the knowledge of what's going on and also be aware of what your doing and all its related effects and causes.

So drop the humility a bit and admit that there is a piece of all this that you know. We don't know it all and probably never will (in my case) but with each focused exercise we become expert or close to expert in the use of that tool by focusing in on our technique.

Besides, if you guys aren't experts, who can I possibly look up too? @NCoxSTL ??? the Epitome of Humility! :happy068: AAACK!!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm not sure if I should be offended or thank you for the compliment. I consider myself quite a humble guy, or at least as humble as possible given my natural and overwhelming talents. It isn't easy looking this good, knowing everything there is to know about every subject that could possibly come up and remaining humble at the same time. I make this look easy!!

Actually the things I don't know about shaving yet would fill several volumes. That's why we have people like @GDCarrington , @HolyRollah , @gssixgun and a lot of others around here to keep that knowledge alive and growing and I'm just glad to be a part of the forum. And without Google? I'd be helpless as a newborn. Can't help but offer one song though.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

August 31

Finished my focus yesterday. Shaved late yesterday with the Feather SS to finish up the 30 days, thought I'd just grab a nice "free shave" today with a DE razor and just enjoy the shave before starting September. Set my alarm for 6am as usual, the alarm went off as usual and I realized that, due to the late shave yesterday, I could skip today and sleep another hour instead. So, the debate in my head begins.....shave......sleep........shave........sleep.........this went on for, oh, probably 3 seconds and I set the alarm for 7 and didn't give it another thought. Sometimes, you just gotta sleep. Hope your month ended well. Mine is over, I can say that.

sleeping-Quotes.jpg

12. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Thanks for being such a good sport Neal, one of the many traits I appreciate about you. I tend to go overboard sometimes, so thanks for taking my post as intended - a huge compliment. I'm a big fan of self-deprecation.

I agree - all the guys you mentioned are absolutely the reason this site is as great as it is, Chris included. But we cannot expect their constant presence and its people like you, Clint, Adam and a host of others that step up, and you always do, and help others out. And I've learned something not just from that first group, but also from all that I just mentioned - plus guys who have less shaves than I do who have experienced one nuance that they toss out that helps me along.

So I guess I'm saying we all have something to share and help others with, and have a responsibility to do just that.

Ok, I'm going back to the ballgame now.

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Ok, it looks like we need one last group hug for August.
    [​IMG]

14. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

I'm gutted.

Had all my favourite kit ready for my final August shave and due to unforseen circumstances I didn't have enough time!

Will sneak it in tonight.