Awesome idea!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JayKay, Apr 2, 2009.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

So I love the look of the chattsworth razor. I love the Merkur head. I want one, without paying that crazy price. At first, I'm told merkur doesnt sell heads to small vendors and things of the nature. Thats great. All these small shops make handles and whatnots to be used with tech heads. Great. I hate techs. I hate news. I even hate olds. I cant get a good shave out of any of them, with any blade.

So why not use the head off the merkur 3 and 4 piece travel razor? With a custom turned cocobolo or some nice burl wood in the shape of a chattsworth handle? Binggooooo.

I think I shall commission somebody to turn one of these said handles. Yay for awesome ideas while at work.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Sure, they all use the same size threads, so any of those custom handles would work fine. I think Bob has you supply the heads anyway, unless you want to buy one of his replated ones. I have a custom Edwin Jagger Gregorian I turned in cocobolo, absolutely love the thing. The head on that is made by Merkur. If I were you, I would definitely get in touch with Bob.

3. JayKay

I dont want a metal handle. I would much prefer a wooden handle like on your pseudo Gregorian. I need to get my hands on a travel razor and see how they shave versus a new HD.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Bob does some beautiful work with wood too. I could do something for you, but I don't think the quality would compare to the work Bob does, especially since he can turn the brass neck too.

Here is my custom Gregorian:
    [​IMG]

5. JayKay

I likeeee! You use the head and neck off a broken one, correct?

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Yeah, and I tried to match all of the other measurements on the handle exactly. The difference in weight is perfect.

7. Griz

Griz Member

Parker Head?

I bought a couple of heads that I think are Parker heads from The Golden Nib. I like the shave that I get from mine, and it looks all but identical to a Merkur head.

It is worth a try for the price of them. they come with a threaded rod as well.

Will N.