B&W photography (Warning: lots of pics)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Lyrt, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I recently got the B&W photography bug. Well, in fact yesterday. So today, I decided to take a wander and shoot various stuff with no precise goal in mind: a house, a statue, a backyard, etc. Too many centred images, but what the hell. So here you go, these are my first serious attempts at B&W photography:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Excellent! I really like the 4th photo - courtyard. You have a gift that I could never touch in a million years.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    WOW!!!!!

Simply amazing photos, as always, Yukio!

The first photo is my favorite. Those clouds are PERFECT!

Have you ever sold any of your photos?

4. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Thank you very much. It is also the opportunity for me to complain about the ugliness of most of our cities, thanks to our rulers. They are unable to realise they often ruin a nice scenery with their crappy, modern street lamps, their plastic road signs, etc. I’m not anti-modern, I actually like modern architecture, but there are things that should definitely not be mixed.

Nah, never even thought of that. As I already told you, I see everyday the work of photographers whose talent dwarves mine. But they are also an inspiration and an incentive to work harder. Photography is just a hobby.

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'd like to know when youth figure out that graffiti may be an artistic expression but it doesn't belong on the sides of other peoples property. I call the stuff you don't like government graffiti. Don't get me started on advertising graffiti. You're right, modern has it's place but old world stands on it's own very well thank you.

6. Queen of Blades

I'm certainly not a professional critic of photography, but I know an amazing talent when I see one. And you, Yukio, do have an unbelievable talent for photography.

I might have to fly over to France so you can take such amazing photos of my favorite subject, ......Jenna! :D

7. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

She sure would be nice to photograph, which reminds me I’m not a portrait photographer at all. I almost never photograph people, mostly because I’m clueless. Maybe now would be the time to try and stop hiding behind the same excuse: “It’s not my style.” :ashamed001

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's OK, you do what you are comfortable with. I'd hate to be a portrait photographer. Not many people are happy having their picture taken and liking the result. Like me. My daughter loves to play with her camera but for the life of me I can't smile naturally for a camera.

9. Queen of Blades

I find that the best photos of Jenna, well anyone for that matter, are the photos that are NOT posed. Natural "in motion" photos always turn out better.

I just keep snapping picture after picture of Jenna, and usually end up with a few great ones. Usually.

I'm always happier with my pictures of Jenna than I am with portrait photos of her, taken by a "professional". :rolleyes:

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

They look Excellent Yukio, the images look very historic and the B&W compliments them nicely.

Love the photos :D

11. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Here’s a bonus. These are old photos I dug up and worked on yesterday. It’s actually the one with the cannon that made me take the plunge today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Yukio.....are you using digital.....or the "old fashioned" B&W film. B&W really is my favourite medium......it's timeless! When I had space I used to do my own developing. Seeing those photos takes me back to "the good 'ole days!

13. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Digital all the way. I’d like to buy a film camera, unfortunately I also want more digital gear (two or three lenses and a new body) and they’ll come first. Photography is an expensive hobby. :(

14. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

So what program do you use to control the contrast....I always liked to use a slightly "harder" paper.......oh and of course filters!

15. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Photoshop. Photoshop. Photoshop. Photoshop.

16. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

Nice looking work!

It seems to me you have definately brought your own style accentuated by what I assume Photoshop. The richness of the shadow areas are what really do it for me.

17. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Thanks, guys (and gals).

Last photos from yesterday’s session:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Excellent work, Yukio - Amazing shots.

Out of curiosity, what new camera body are you thinking of getting? D200 perhaps? :D

19. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Duh, yes, I almost bought it last December. :) Now, I’ll probably wait and see what Nikon will come up with next. D200s? D3X? A mature full-frame? The current generation of DSLR still lacks in the dynamic range department, especially in artificially-lit environments.

20. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

[photography rambling] I always assumed the sun complimented well the type of architecture found in the South of France. I was wrong. Water offers nice shimmers even here. The first five photos were taken a week ago, the rest today.[/photography rambling]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An attempt at infrared. Dramatic effect guaranteed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]