Back to the Beginning

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Redrock, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago I used my Tabac and MWF after many, many months. I had kinda forgotten how good these soaps are. I decided to thin the den after using these and promptly sold off about 14 soaps. All are good. I just got tired of having soaps laying around that did not get regular use.

My soap inventory/rotation now is the Tabac, MWF, and three flavors of Jabonman soaps. I now have an easy decision in using 5 wonderful soaps. These are some of my original soaps and are all I need.:)

RyX, GatorJoe, Demidog and 10 others like this.
  2. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

MWF is in my rotation as well, such a great performer. I haven't tried Tabac yet (I know, I know :p). I'm planning on doing the same and selling off some soaps that I don't really use anymore due to scent dislike and irritation ,and just stick to my few favorites.

Redrock, PatrickA51, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  3. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Congrats Redrock

This is my plan as well. I'm thinking I'm just going to keep the 6-7 soaps I enjoy shaving with the most. After I try a few more that I have waiting around.

Demidog, Redrock, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's the main reason I'm going early with the WSP Mahogany(Rustic). Didn't use it much last fall/winter season, and it's too good to just be laying around. I use AV Musk with it. Niiice.

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm in the same place. I'm aiming for 3 soaps and a cream in my Den. I've been using up and giving away the odds and ends over the last few months. Tabac, MdC, Mike's, and possibly one cream (TOBS) would be plenty for me. The oddball on my list is MdC. It's a good soap (I like Tabac and Mike's better), but I don't think I would buy it again. My 2 MdC pucks will probably last me 20 years.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I can't think about which of my current soaps I'd buy again. They last a loooooooooong time with my rotation. I'd be going too far into the future.

7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Mitchell's Wool Fat will always be in my den. Great soap. I've gotten my den down to about 18 soaps. I like all of those and plan to titanic through some and use them up.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Excellent.

Redrock and PatrickA51 like this.
  9. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Not quite at that stage yet but the list of items I will rebuy once my supplies go low is very short.

Redrock and PatrickA51 like this.
  10. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

X2
    I have an ample supply of shaving soap. I just need to quit being lazy and start shaving everyday again. 2011-02-25 001.jpg

RyX, Demidog, Redrock and 4 others like this.
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

The above picture was a couple of weeks ago. This photo was day before yesterday .
    Patrick-original-cropped.jpg

RyX, Demidog, Redrock and 4 others like this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I too tired of the oodles of paraphernalia, it was ridiculous. I made a break with the endless searching for inspiration. I boxed up most of my stuff, cleared up my space. But i still need or want to be clean shaven. So I took to reading the monthly focus and letting the group decide, i figure I'll follow along, learn, relearn, contribute, or gain. I've probably got razors I can get better at using, they'll eventually call them out. I probably will fall in love with my favorites all over with some time away from them.
    Anywho, I hear ya, sometimes a start over seems nice.

RyX, Redrock, Primotenore and 5 others like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Maybe it's the angle, but you might want to thin out the nose hairs too. :)

Redrock, Keithmax and brit like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am heading your direction, after chasing all the latest and greatest I find Tabac, Castle Forbes, AoS. Tallow, AoS creams are top performers in my Den.

brit, Redrock and PLAla like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have done major purges...serious purges, but "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" :rofl:

Paul Turner, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. Redrock

You hit the nail on the head. My deal is to see where my inventory is in six months.:angry032:

brit and Primotenore like this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I am using Haslinger Schafmilch right now. A very good soap, but the puck is tiny. After it is used up, I will just stick with Mitchell's Wool Fat. If MWF should become unavailable from Connaught Shaving (very good price!), then I will use Stirling instead. And maybe an Art of Shaving cream on rare occasion.

My shave den is pretty much done and dusted:
    The above is sufficient to address my shaving needs, and provides shaves that are low-cost, very comfortable and close, and luxurious. If one or more consumables becomes unavailable or only available at increased price, I have already identified many other options. Having turned a rather annoying task into something pleasurable, it is mission accomplished!

chevyguy, Redrock, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I started out hoarding soaps at the suggestion of someone who actually gives pretty bad advice, but I didn't realize this until later. I eventually found my way to Proraso and I just rotate in one of their four creams these days. My shaves are excellent and the creams work well. No fuss, no constantly spending time and money searching for the latest and greatest soap. I have to clear out my acquisitions some day since it's pretty unlikely that I'll ever use most the soaps that I have accumulated.

That being said, exploring new soaps, razors, and aftershaves was fun for a bit but I think that I'm a lot more content just keeping it simple like you.

19. Redrock

I hear you. I have been a victim of SAD more than once. I get the new soap, use it a few times, and then it goes in to the cabinet with the others. I am confident that folks here have the same experience. Of the soaps I have purchased over the years, none are any better than Tabac, MWF, and Jabonman in performance. I used the MWF this morning and it was a wonderfully smooth shave. I plan to do Tabac tomorrow. Also, these three brands work great with boars and badgers. Just have to have the discipline to use what you have.

brit likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i am at the end of most of my want to haves.completed my brit gillette collection with my last lot on its way here. i have 30 or so soap/croaps/creams..i research most and bought what i liked..there will be some i won't replace but will use them .i wanted some scents basically for different seasons.woods /winter, citrus/aquatics for warm weather..i can happily say i can have a different shave daily for a month or so..same with brushes..
    favorites. --barrister's reserve base,ariana and evans,stirling for artisan will be replaced as needed.proraso creams,tobs,pre de provence,klar seifen ,and tfs for commercially made..everything else i have will get used and not replaced..they are great but will last for years..my last acquisition will be a couple of straights to dabble with in time..
    i am not at the point of selling anything but have curbed the spending,however i don't see myself doing a no buy period..shaves are great,most soaps are similar..variety is a great choice to have..

McCrae, RyX and Redrock like this.