Bacon...What's Not to Like?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 2, 2013.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Kevin's pictures are what got me motivated enough to try it myself. So far I have done a belly and on my second run with back bacon. The flavor is fantastic and Canadian bacon actually tastes like bacon. It is good stuff. While cold smoking may be ideal, hot smoking at 225F until it reaching an internal temp of 145F works as well. Hot smoking can be done on just about any grill with a lid or if you are in a pinch, I imagine liquid smoke in the oven would work too.

It really isn't hard or labor intensive, it just takes a little work. The results are phenomenal. If you have any interest, I would suggest giving it a try.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

How would one smoke on a grill without accidentally cooking that which they are trying to smoke.

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Thank you, Sir!

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Very carefully…
    The key is simply keeping temps down below a certain level and careful monitoring. It is rarely 'set & forget'….

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

There are indirect setups for most every grill. Check out amazingribs.com. He has a few of them.

When hot smoking, you do cook the meat, just very very slowly. I bring the bacon up to an internal temperature of 145F. Like Kevin said, it takes some work. If you want to cold smoke, Amazen products makes a pellet smoker that could sit right inside your grill and smoke with the burners off.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

BigMark likes this.
  6. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

BLT for me. Love them.

Erik Redd likes this.