Badger help please

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigMark, Mar 26, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I am having trouble creating a decent lather with my newly acquired commodore. Any help would be appreciated.

2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Face Lathering, bowl, etc.?

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

could you describe the problem?

4. BigMark

Face lathering. I just get a thick mess that dries out.

5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Sounds like you don't have enough water. That's easy to fix. Submerge your brush for a second and let it drip dry. Then scrub your puck for 30 seconds or in add an almond size piece of shave cream to the brush head. Then dampen your Face and scrub your damp face for 60 seconds.

6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

I have always had good luck with a Badger brush, I have several. I use mostly a silver tip badger. I would say add a little more water as stated above.
    Good luck,

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You can also try adding water a little at a time to the brush as you face lather. This should allow you to dial in the lather without going to far. Anytime I get a new brush it takes me several shaves to get used to the way it works.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup

PatrickA51 and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Mister C

Mister C Member

Mark, I also have a Commodore. (Best Badger) Wonderful brush. Which has me petty spoiled. Anyway, what Patrick and everyone is saying about more water is correct. Badger will hold a lot more water than a Boar type. Mike's explanation is correct. I do it just as Clint suggests by adding a little more water at a time until I get it "dialed in". Also, preferring to face lather, I don't use as much swirling motion as I do with a Boar brush. Try using more of a "paint brush" technique and slightly less pressure. Then you'll feel your Commodore's exceptional soft but stiff scritch for which Simpson's are famous. Awesome brush, dude. Congratulations.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    PatrickA51, GDCarrington and clint64 like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:

PatrickA51, Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  11. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Soak the brush before the shave when you pull it from the water you will notice some drop off but a ton of water is held in by the badger hair. If you shake that all out you'll see what I mean. I Keep the faucet trickling and quickly pass the brush under it as I lather my face a need a bit more water.

12. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

Much more fun to lather in a nice, custom ceramic mug or bowl! Agree with the adding of more water. Some creams and soaps like a good bit of water.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  13. Mister C

Mister C Member

Mark, did you try your Commodore again with a little more water? How did it lather?

14. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Sounds like not enough water. Dip the tips in water and go back to face lathering. Do this as many times as it takes to get the lather where you want it.

15. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

More fun than a good scrub on your face?
    Say it isn't so!

BigMark and jwr0201 like this.
  16. BigMark

I am keeping for creams but sticking to boars for soap. I might try again down road with soaps however.

17. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

When I apply lather I only apply it to the areas I'm going to shave. I shave the face first with two passes and then lather the neck when I move to that area. My neck is really sensitive so I make sure to always use fresh lather when I shave there.