Baili Platinum Super Stainless Blade - Evaluation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DonMac, Sep 18, 2015.

1. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Baili is one of the few razor blades that I have not previously used. After reading many conflicting posts of some who love them and many who dislike them, I decided to try one for myself, with few permanent preconceived beliefs or prejudice.

Doing a double blind test with my wife who loaded an Astra SP blade and a Baili into duplicate razors, not knowing which razor contained which blade, she gave me the razors, I started my shave, using the same exact number of strokes with each razor, shaving one side of my face with one razor, the other with the other razor. Halfway through the shave, I reversed the order.

After the shave we opened the razors to identify the winning blade. To my surprise it was hands down the Baili that provided the best shave. Because we are human, and subject to outside influence, sometimes it's more effective to do some tests double blind, because of preconceived beliefs from reviews, posts and other information. For example: I have reads posts saying the blade was thin and cheap, however measuring the blade with a quality micrometer, it is the same thickness at .0045 as other blades, and visually the same quality finish as other popular blades. I had the same thinness belief when I first examined a blade. What I learned was even though the Baili was the same thickness, it is ever so slightly more flexible, giving the impression of being a thinner blade, in addition to the wrapper using thinner paper than some other brands, further increasing my belief it was thinner. The flexibility and wrapper caused me to incorrectly believe the blade was thinner when it is in fact the same as other blades.

I have since used the Baili in a number of my razors getting the same fine results. It now has 12 shaves on the blade and is still performing excellent. As a result I just ordered 200 off Eby for $11.75 with free shipping; a very affordable price.

Obviously not everyone will share my results, as YMMV and comfort and performance is always subjective based on individual preference and an individuals personal characteristics, (whisker skin type etc.)

2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Congratulations on finding a well performing blade for you! It is always nice when one finds a blade performing so well that one is able to stock up properly.

DonMac likes this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Another fine example of why I like to find out for myself. If I heeded the advice of everyone on the Interwebs, I'd be in vapor lock, unable to function. Inexpensive doesn't equate to poor performance or quality with many things, blades being one of them. I have several brands that I have purchased at that $0.06 price point and enjoy them all.

DonMac likes this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Blades are a personal thing. I'm glad you did some experimenting to find the one that works for you, and the blind test is the best way to truly see how well the blade performs. I find that I like quite a few blade brands that most people cant stand, but its all about what works well for you.

DonMac likes this.
  5. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Like most, I equated price to quality. I've noted the blades on Ebay for quite some time, yet never entertained the thought of ordering them at half the cost of many of my other blades.
    I automatically assumed that a blade at that price couldn't possibly be a good blade. I believe that as a general rule "You get what you pay for" however, blindly adhering to that rule without flexibility may cause us to miss out on some excellent products and opportunities.
    After our little test, my wife noting my surprise at the results, mentioned that she buys the house brand orange juice at the grocery store for half the price of the major brands, and it is a better orange juice. Maybe I should let her pick my blades in the future! LOL.:happy093:

6. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I've used the Baili blades before. While I had less positive results than you, I'm happy for you for finding a blade that works well for your needs.

7. Old VThippy

Old VThippy New Member

I received a few Baili blades with a cheap shaver from China. The shaver was such junk that it arrived broken. So I'm out about $2.00. I haven't tried the Baili blade, but in testing several blades on hanging hairs the other day, it cut as well as any but a Feather. Tonight's shave will be a double blind between the Dorco Prime and st-301. I'm pretty sure they are the same, but if not I need to order more Primes. But before doing so, I'll give the Baili a try.
    Change of mind. Tonight I will do a double blind between the Prime and the Baili. If Baili wins, or ties, I'll order a couple of hundred.
    Full blown RAD and RBAD. When I die, I can take them with me, right?

8. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

I've seen them, but never tried them. I really like how you tested the blade. My wife would have rolled her eyes. I'm glad they worked out for you.