Bang bang! 1895 Iver Johnson .38 top-break revolver (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 18, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

On Father's Day, yesterday, my father gave to me my great-grandfather's Iver Johnson 38 caliber 5-shot black powder ammo top-break revolver which was made in 1895 (serial # 23292).

My great-grandfather was born in 1869 and purchased this gun at the age of 27, in 1896 - the same year his son, my grandfather, was born. Great-grandfather died in 1951 at the age of 82. 1951 was also the same year my father was born.

On the top of the barrel:
    IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS, FITCHBURG MASS. U.S.A.
    PAT'D APR. 6, 86, FEB. 15, 87, MAY 10, 87, DEC. 26, 93, PAT'S PENDING

The only other marking on the gun is the serial number found at the butt of the handle, which is unusual for these guns as they also had the serial number on the trigger guard and/or on the handle frame under one of the grips.

Very proud to now be the owner of this. :)

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg

2. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

What an awesome gift!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Wow, If only it was made by Gillette:happy102:

That is a stunning gift, and with family history thrown in priceless:cool:

Hanzo and IAmTheJody like this.
  4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Very nice. It's great to have something like this with a History.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

great gift, Jody. It's nice to have something like that that has been in the family so long. Congrats!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. IAmTheJody

Thanks y'all! I knew my dad had it but it was very unexpected for him to give it to me. Things of this nature usually go to my younger brother... for some reason. So it was a very nice surprise.

It looks good in the display cabinet amongst all of the Gillette razors. :happy102:

macaronus and Bird Lives like this.
  7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I bet it looks splendid....lets see a photo of the shelf with the Iver-Johnson.....I've always been a big fan of the S&W Schofield type revolvers....Wonderful designs....And yours having all this family history....and a lovely pocket-piece it is too....Congratulations my friend....

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

So how's it shave?

:D

9. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's a rough one:)

10. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Jody, that is a very nice piece of history with both the gun itself and the family connections! Enjoy it!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

That's quite the family heirloom! And it'll also help keep sticky fingers out of the razors..lol..:char039:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Very very nice Jody - something to be cherished for sure!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. IAmTheJody

15. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I don't think they're the same. 38 S&W has a larger diamater. IJs were 38 S&W (I think)

16. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Nice gift Jody, It's great getting something with a family history like that and it looks like it's been well cared for.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. IAmTheJody

Yes, it's 38 S&W. Just can't seem to find any in black powder. The few listings I've found are out of stock.

18. Sergio Campos

Sergio Campos Active Member

I heard it is *almost* as agressive as the R41, and prone to serious razor burn... :)

battle.munky and IAmTheJody like this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

if your gun was made for 38 S&W you can also shoot 38 short colt but it it is a short colt gun you cannot shoot the S&W cartrage in it.

The .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, .38 Special and .357 Magnum share a common case and rim diameter (rim = .440. case = .379, bullet = .358)

The .38 S&W has an entirely different set of dimensions: ( Rim = .443, case = .386, bullet = .360).

You can safely fire .38 Short Colt in revolvers chambered for .38 Long Colt, .38 Special, and .357 Magnum. It is unlikely anything serious would happen if you fired a .38 Short Colt in a .38 S&W revolver, but it is possible the case could rupture in the oversized chamber.

There was a cartridge called the .38 Colt New Police (or .38 N.P.) that was the same as the .38 S&W, but I don't believe it's been manufactured since World War Two

In any case, .38 Short Colt ammunition is dificult to find, and more expensive then .38 S&W.

Your gun is a hammerless 2nd model Iver Johnson Safety Automatic...with the safety in the trigger...looks like you have 3rd model grips....It is for Black Powder only....Stick with the Cowboy Loads...Any modern 38 S&W still in production should be for 'Cowboy Action" shooting...therefore the Black Powder pressures will be maintained, even if its not black powder...and therefore safe to shoot...If your revolver is in safe mechanical condition it can be shot with new factory smokeless ammunition...but get a gunsmith to go over it before firing...we wouldn't want anything to happen to you...:)

Hope this helps...http://ammoseek.com/?gun=handgun&cal=26
    Not B-P but diffenately safe...Fac. Cowboy Loads:http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/60300242-1.html

Now might be a good time to get into Re-loading....:)

IAmTheJody and tomnat like this.
  20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great gift, Jody! It's an amazing heirloom!

IAmTheJody likes this.