Bar Soap vs Body Wash Showdown

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Hoss304, Aug 20, 2017.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

A related (I think) question... My wife recently bought me a Harry's gift pack that was on clearance at Target. It consists of a bar soap and a small body wash, both in the same scent. So, when/where is the appropriate place to use each?

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Shower and shower (use the soap for your face).

3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Okay, that's what I assumed.

Of course, I have to wonder... when/why did we decide that cleaning the body requires a liquid rather than just using the same bar of soap?

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't see where either is "required" as opposed to the other.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I've never really understood that either. That's why I just use bar soap.

6. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

My gal is a Bath & Body Works shopper. I've been using thier line along with the CO Bigelow stuff. With coupons and stuff she uses it's great deals. I'm on the hunt for Barbasol body wash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I am, too(on the Barbasol).

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

In some instances, the soap might be gentler/less drying for your face than the body wash depending on the ingredients. But, end of the day, detergent is detergent. So long as you don't get overly dry skin, there's no reason you can't use shower gel on your face and soap on your body and vice versa. And even with potential dryness, lotion application is easy enough.

9. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I grew up on Ivory Bar Soap as I’m sure many here have. My wife and I have been using Lever bar soap for years. Then one day she got a large container of Olay Body Wash with Shea Butter. I worked the body wash into my routine as the last thing I use. And I don’t use more than a small amount. So I’m mostly washing with the bar soap. We are now almost through a package of 15 or so bars of Kirkland bath soap. But because of lots of people talking about artisan bar soaps, I’m thinking of trying some. Stirling would be high on my list as their Barbershop is my favorite shave soap. What puzzles me though is some people talking about not keeping their bar soap in the shower because it gets soggy. We keep our soap in a plastic soap dish with one of those separate pieces that has little prongs on each side so the soap is elevated off the dish allowing it to dry between uses. All we do is rinse out the dish while in the shower, rinse off the bar of soap and be sure there is no water in the dish. It stays in the shower and by the next morning the bar is totally dry. Well, if I find a good artisan bar soap I won’t keep using the body wash at all.

Shadow Shaver likes this.