Barber shop shave

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Kamen Tenshi, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

No shave November has come to an end and today I will get my first barber shop shave. I have heard horror stories about some barber shops ripping you apart, so hopefully mine goes smoothly.

2. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Enjoy your time under the heated towels and being pampered
    They do not offer shaves around here. They explained the liability insurance can be prohibitive. (sigh)

pvtbanks and Kamen Tenshi like this.
  3. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Let us know how it ends.

Fred Hill and pvtbanks like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Enjoy. My one and only barber shop shave was in Vung Tau, Vietnam, in 1968. It was enjoyable.

5. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

The barber shop I was going to told me they no longer do hot towel shaves. Another barber shop does however. I will have to go there one day when I am free.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  6. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

I had one once....im not sure barber really knew what he was doing, but just kinda offered shaves. I was a groomsmen once and someone paid for all of us to get shaved and have a cigar the morning of the wedding. It was relaxing but when i got back to the hotel i had to clean up a bunch of missed spots. Good luck i hope you find a good barber...i hope i do too lol cuz i think id enjoy a good barber shave once in a while

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Did anyone watch John Ratzenberger getting a barbershop shave in his "America" series on Youtube(for that episode he was explaining how the "new" Barbasol gets made(now that its new company is in Ohio)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

[​IMG]

9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Here in Texas they outlawed them completely for a while because of Aids. Now they are allowed, but only with shavettes, no straight razors. My barber, who has 50 years experience, is heartbroken because he can only look at his straights in the shop now.

10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

First and last time I had a straight razor barbershop shave was my wedding day Oct 1994. A lot cheaper and less trendy back then.
    The barber was of the older generation who apprenticed barbering from the ground up. Started sweeping floors for the local barber as a teen and learned from him slowly moving up as the barber saw fit.
    Master one taught aspect of barbering thoroughly and move forward accordingly.
    Gave me peace of mind considering the big event I had ahead of me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Norcalnewb and BigCabDaddy like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That leads me to 2 questiond 1)-Why did they think AIDS was connected with them? 2-Why did they change their mind and bring it back(to a degree)?

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

1-Because of potential blood transfer from the blade. 2-Because shavettes can use a new blade for each person.

Paul Turner and BigCabDaddy like this.
  13. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I have never seen any of the three barbers I've been to change blades between customers, so it becomes the same as a regular straight just with an old tuggy blade in this case

14. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I got a shavette shave in Santa Barbara at the MOB (Members Only Barbershop). Each member has their own Straight, Brush and Mug on the wall with teir name imprinted on the mus. He has well over 100 members and they get the true straight razor shave. Non members get a shavette shave. The Barber is a 73 year old gent that knows his stuff. My first straight shave was from him and it was a very enjoyable experience with no blood loss.

15. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Now that's a true barber.

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

We've lost a lot over time ...

Bobcat likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've seen it. Interesting video.

Paul Turner likes this.
  18. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

Update. While on a trip to Disney world I saw a The Art of Shaving store and received a hot towel shave for the first time. I almost fell asleep during the shave, I was so relaxed. The barber was able to give me sensitive skin a very clean and close shave and shape my goatee up. It was a great experience!

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I actually found a barber shop in Houston that uses real straight razors. Not sure if they are supposed to, but I did get a shave from them in the spring. They did a decent job, and the hot towel treatment was fantastic.

Bobcat likes this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

That is a great idea for a shop. It seems there is some demand for businesses that offer some personalized service in today's society.

Paul Turner likes this.