Barbers (Part 1)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Brian, Aug 8, 2011.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

What an interesting read! I have never heard of a barber school before. There are a handful of beauty schools around town (heck I was even accepted into one just asking about their program...;)), but they just pump out the high school dropouts who are trained to use clippers (some take it seriously...but they are few). I have always wondered about barbers though. Most in my town, that I know of at least, have immigrated from Mediterranean countries, and seem t have brought their trade with them. So it is really cool to hear that there are schools that train barbers!

crackstar likes this.
  2. Brian

Brian Active Member

This is part one, I'll be covering more about barbers and their history in Part II. I promise, I'll delve into the beginnings and their split between barbers and barber surgeons there. I honestly didn't expect this much positive feedback or interest. Thank you all for your comments I really do appreciate them. I'll have to get part 2 out a little quicker than I had planned!

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

excellent post Brian. Do you have those pictures you mentioned on your computer? Would be cool to see them. I love looking at old pictures of barbershops or even diners, drive ins, grocery stores etc. Just wonderful and beautiful

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

No Regan, unfortunatelymy aunt won't let go of the family photos, not even long enough to scan them. She's entering into the later part of her life and I believe once they pass on to her boys I will be able to get copies. I've asked my father to see if he has any, and he said he would look for me. I would love to have them for when I open my shop. But I agree, I too love looking at photos from the days gone by and seeing how things once were.

5. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Ah well that is a shame. I think those pictures on the wall would be beautiful and very historical.

Hope your father has some pics you can use.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Great read Brian! I'm looking forward to part two.

7. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

Nice post and pictures, keep it going.

8. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Great article - can't wait for part 2

9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That is a great article. Bravo! You told of the barbering heritage in a way that is very relevant to the wetshaving ethos.