Bargain badger

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rob206, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

What is a good badger brush to start with that wont break the bank? Asking for a friend

RyX likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i have heard good things about the stirling badger brushes..my razorock barrel 24 badger is a nice brush as well under $50 ..

Paul76, MR41, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Unlike boar or synthetic brush knots, it seems for badgers $$ = quality. There's also quite the variation among users as what constitutes "good". The most expensive seem to trend into soft - silver tips. The more scrubby - two band - may be less expensive.

Not counting the cost of the handle may be a way to explore badger brushes. The knots can be purchased separately. I'll leave that discussion of which supplier to others, or you(r friend) can google the subject. The difficult part is figuring out terminology. There is no industry wide standard of descriptive terms. The Shave Community here at TSD and across the internet have developed comparisons. For those that experiment with knot replacements or building brushes from scratch by crafting handles the depth of the socket where the knot rests can make a big difference on how a knot feels. Setting a knot deep holds the fibers tight and reduces floppiness. That also increases scrubbiness. It's up to the user to determine how much soft/flop/scrub/etc they desire.

TLDR; Have you considered buying slightly used from Buy/Sell/Trade forums? Read up on what others say about each different brush, but there is no Science to this.

4. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

I lied. Its not for my friend, but @Bama Samurai told me to quit buying stuff lol

Paul76, Keithmax, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  5. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Just looked at the Stirling brushes. Very nice selection and great price. I'll probably start there when I'm ready

Hembree, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I recently purchased an Envy White Supreme Two-band badger knot and set it in B-400 style handle. It's a great brush with good backbone and relatively soft tips. You could also speak with @Jayaruh about setting the knot in one of his beautiful handles. You'd have a fantastic performing and very unique brush.

B400.jpg

MntnMan62, Keithmax, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

@PLANofMAN has a great read/review about badger brush types and differences..

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I respect Chris @Bama Samurai. At one time he told me to buy a particular razor. He was right about the Fatip 3 pc DE. He's been around the TSD community long enough to see new folks go crazy buying all the wrong gear for all the wrong reasons. That's the reason for the 30 Day Rule - learn to use the gear you have. Doesn't stop folks from wanting more stuff, but if you take a month to really get to know what you own future purchases will be more targeted.

Before I came to TSD I was a member at several other forums. As a Newbie it's a fascinating subject to explore, but my budget mostly kept me shopping at thrift and antique stores for used gear. One particular forum was and still is way above my social status. I felt dismayed looking at everyone else's $50 soaps, $200 brushes, and $300 razors. I don't want to characterize TSD as being Blue Collar, but this group as a whole is less pretentious. When someone shows up with a "starter set" asking questions - they get pounced upon. So many helpful folks offering so many options that it can be overwhelming. I know it's hard to get answers when you don't know what the questions are.

So Chris had developed his own personal philosophy - Learn to use the gear you own. It's not just to keep new folks from spending money on the wrong gear. It about developing better skills and correct techniques to get the most from what you have right now!

Keithmax, Hembree, dmshaver and 7 others like this.
  9. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Well said @RyX

Hembree, dmshaver, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Omega is the benchmark for boar.

Keithmax, Hembree, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am a HUGE fan of the Stirling 24mm Finest. $39.95. I think you can get seconds for even less. MAGNIFICENT knot and an unbelievable bargain.
    IMG_4031.jpg

nav, CarlfromMO, Paul76 and 11 others like this.
  12. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I am partial to the maggard 22 mm two band brush.. good brush for a reasonable price

[​IMG]

13. brit

brit in a box

razorock barrel 24 finest badger., $33. they have a silvertip for $46 20190112_212547.jpg

Paul76, Enrico, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  14. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

If you’re interested and don’t mind covering postage costs from Japan (probably around $5) I’ll send you this one that I recently finished out of a piece of swamp cypress I got through a trade with Rick @RyX. I’m not sure how these knots perform, but Rick @RyX has one...maybe he’ll chime in.

[​IMG]

Paul76, Enrico, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

For the price of shipping, that's one unique and very good badger brush!

My first couple of badgers were through trades and though they were brand name (Vulfix) they didn't impress much. The knots weren't dense enough or set too tall resulting in floppy, hard to lather, less than satisfactory brushes. I understand why other folks were willing to part with them.

I didn't know what a deeper set, densely packed badger knot felt like until Jack @Sparrow sent a piece of my fathers cypress back my way with a good knot installed.
    SOTD 01222018 American Shamrocks Peppermint Patty.gif If I recall correctly, the knot is a Virginia Sheng Black Badger? It's got enough scrub to please a boar brush fan, but not too far into the scritch. Like all natural fiber brushes there's variation. Having the knot set in a one of a kind handle brings it to another level of unique.

Keithmax, Hembree, brit and 5 others like this.
  16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I've had pretty good luck with TGN 2 bands and some of Whipped Dog's knots along with WSP. I'm a little reluctant to recommend this one but my sleeper knot would be a Shavemac pure. This knot suits my personality, a little rough around the edges maybe and not a real plush brush but you could lather a brick with it and when the shave is over I always think , not bad. If you'd like to try one out , PM me. This would be the brush.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Keithmax, Hembree, brit and 6 others like this.
  17. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

What he said. I like my Whipped Dog. And I like my Oscar11 Brushes.

brit and RyX like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Naw. Semogue is. They grade the brushes, which Omega does not. It lets you narrow down your preferences much easier.
    (Boar users usually prefer one brand over the other. I prefer Semogue, others prefer Omega. On this forum, Omega tends to be the fan favorite, I think).

GatorJoe, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm one of those Omega Fanbois. I started with a couple of them before I got my first Semogue. That set in my mind how a boar knot should feel. With that bias confirmed by three new Omega brushes, when I did get a Semogue it was preowned and already broken in.

Enjoying the scrubby nature of a new Omega - YOMV. Preferring a softer boar brush with an already broken in feel - Semogue?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Budget Badger Discussion.;)

brit and Frijolero like this.
  20. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Only because they haven't tried a Zenith yet. ;)

brit, Jacobite, oscar11 and 1 other person like this.