Bargain badger

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rob206, Jan 12, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Chevy, Ford...Chrysler!
    :rofl::happy097::eatdrink047:

brit, Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

love my 830..

3. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I agree. I have the same brush and think it is fantastic. I am mostly a synthetic brush guy but I easily could be converted to badger if they are like Stirling's badger brushes.

Frijolero, brit and RyX like this.
  4. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I just started wet shaving. Before I knew about this board or had a clue about anything, I asked my wife to get me an inexpensive badger brush for traveling. She got me the Perfecto off of Amazon for about $20. It works OK but I’m sure there are better. I tried it once when I didn’t realize I was getting a lot of razor burn, and it literally hurt using it to lather up my face. By contrast, my EJ super badger (also bought off Amazon, now going for around $60) has never hurt to use and functions pretty well. Again, you can probably do better, but I’m relatively happy with the EJ.

I would like to get a synthetic, and I’m open to suggestions to anything under $35 or so.

Moose, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  5. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

RyX, MntnMan62, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Whipped Dog is one of my favorites for silver tip badger. They are modestly priced.

brit, RyX, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  7. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Right. My WD 22x46 silvertip is one of my best performers and only cost $40 delivered.

brit, RyX, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  8. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

One of the reasons I ended up here. It’s all about the shave. Well said.

RyX, brit, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  10. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

I would agree! I have a few boars - omega and semogue but my fav is a Zenith 28mm Pro with a copper handle...LOL

brit and Frijolero like this.
  11. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

I would go with Simpson Special 1 in Best...easily had for sub $50 in the US and around $50 CDN in the great white North.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

Frijolero likes this.
  13. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I just saw your post. I guess I'm not careful enough at reading through this great forum. I too have a 400 style handle, an Alpha, that I put an Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip into. I really love how soft the tips are of the Luxury. No scritch at all. When I want scritch I'll pull out my The Golden Nib Silvertip or my Parker Pure.

wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.
  14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

It is an awesome brush for the money. I don't think it can be beat for the price. Glad you are enjoying yours.

brit likes this.
  15. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

51TOQv7My8L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Perfecto pure badger brush - This my idea of a true bargain badger brush. $19 on Amazon. There is a wood handle version that is $15. It has been good for me. With that being said, I have never used a badger brush of higher quality that this so I dont know what I'm missing. YMMV.

brit, NTR and Frijolero like this.
  16. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed this brush hurting my face. I also have Semogue 1305 boar and I can't get that brush to work right. Went back to the Perfecto in frustration. The 1305 may be my 30 day focus for March.

brit, NTR, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  17. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I still have mine. I’ll try it again now that my technique has improved, etc. I never meant to imply it’s a poor brush, but I must admit, the $12 synthetics ive purchased off of Stirling and Maggards appeal to me more.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  18. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I didnt mean to insinuate that you had bad technique. It may be a poor brush and just I don't know any better. I'm not at the point in my life where I can spend a lot of money for a really good brush. Have you seen the price of a chubby? I like the idea of a good synthetic for $12 though! How are they?

19. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I bought a beautiful $12 purple handles one from Maggard that I now use exclusively. Stopped using my $60 Edwin Jagger “super badger”. Lathers lies a champ and feels great on my face. My EJ was fine, it I was curious about synthetics, and I’m happy so far.

I have another that I bought impulsively from Sterling ($12 synthetic) and the know looks similar. It doesn’t fit in my brush stand, so I’m postponing its use.