Basics

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Derhey, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Here is the deal...I started this new venture of de and straight edge shaving about 6 months ago. I have tried about 30 soaps to date and love trying new soaps. Today I was thinking about the soaps that I have tried and it occurred to me that I have missed many of the basics or foundational soaps of our little hobby...the Tabacs, Arko, Prosarro, Cella type soaps. Call me superficial, but I need to like the scent of the soap that I use. That being said, are there any of these (or others) that I am really missing out on and NEED to try? Thanks for your feedback; I thought this would make a good topic of discussion.

D

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What have you tried?

3. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I'd give Arko a try if you haven't yet. You'll either love or hate the scent but it performs awesome. Sticks are cheap too.

Derhey likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

TSD!
    TSD!
    TSD!

and the crowd goes wild! :bounce017::happy093::bounce017:

Tdmsu and macaronus like this.
  5. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Which TSD? I am this close to ordering blue juniper, Barber Shoppe and TSD signature.

English fern? I love MdC forgere

RaZorBurn123 and Derhey like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes. I've tried those you mention, but not MdC.

7. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Razorburn,

I have tried Stroppe Shop (Baker Street w/Tallow and London Morning), Beer Soap Brewing Company (London Skies, LaHabana, Grapefruit, and Orange/Ylang Ylang)), RazoRock (Mudder Focker), D.R. Harris (Marlborough, Arlington, and Windsor), TOBS (St. James, Mr. Taylor, Eton College, and Jermyn St.), WSP (Tobacco, Sandalwood, and Mahogany), Geo F. Trumpers (Almond), Barrister & Mann (Seville), Ian S. (Orange Geranium), Sterling Soap Co. (Glastonbury, Gin and Tonic, Sharp Dressed Man, Bonaparte, and Ozark Mountains), and TSD (Vetiver).

The first two company's are my fav to date (by far). I am finding I really enjoy the Tobacco type scents as well as juniper. I am ordering some Mystic Waters (Sweet Briar) and Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cavendish and Gondolier. As you can see from my list, I have skipped the Arko and Tabac's of the world. I should give Arko a shot (thanks Trey), it is very cheap stuff. I am just really put off by a bad scent even if it lathers well. So many soaps and scents, so little time. Thanks for the feedback!

D

Mr. Droid, RaZorBurn123 and trey06dmd like this.
  8. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I really want to try MdC...I may have to ask for that one as a Fathers Day gift. It's got a hefty price tag. So you like the Forgere more than the original scent?

9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I like Proraso white. I love the scent and and the menthol tingle.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

LPL is fantastic. Catie's Bubbles. And as you mentioned MdC. And Mike's Natural Soap.

Derhey likes this.
  11. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Yes MdC fourgere is fantastic. The original is also very nice but the fourgere smell is outstanding

I also enjoy Maggards soaps particularly Orange menthol and limes and bergamot

Derhey likes this.
  12. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I will be asking for MdC Forgere this coming Fathers Day ;-)

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I think I will also. I love the original.

14. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Derhey, for me, you aren't missing much with the commercially produced and common soaps that you are thinking of trying. The artisanal ones that you have are just as good and, more than likely, even better. There are just so many great artisanal soaps, nowadays! :)

Derhey and dscaver like this.
  15. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thanks Celestino! I hate to say it but that is what I was hoping to hear. I am sure over time, I will try a few of the big, commercial soaps but I really enjoy the artisan soaps for many reasons. Thanks to all for your input!

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love MDC and I have both the Fourgere and the lavender. The lavender is my favorite but I love both. Le pere Lucien is not far behind

Derhey and clint64 like this.
  17. ghorn11

ghorn11 New Member

What about Mitchell's Wool Fat? It's pretty much all I use now, it's fantastic!

18. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Old town shaving company is selling samples of some fantastic soaps and creams. XPec, MdC, ABC to name a few.