Bay Rum Aftershave Splashes

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by TraderJoe, Feb 4, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

What do you like?

A couple of my favorites are:

St. John's,
    Royall Bay Rhum,
    Master Bay Rum

I have my eye on the Taylor Bay Rum splash.....

Who has it? How do you like it? What are the ingredients?

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Joe, how do you think Master compares with the others? I bought some a few days ago at Sally Beauty and think it's great...doesn't last very long though. Price was sure right at $6+. Thanks.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The price is excellent, and although I prefer the scent of St. John's, I have a soft spot for the Master because its the only Bay-Rum AB/AS with glycerin that I have found (so far - that's why I'm after the Taylor and its ingredient list). I enjoy splashes with glycerin, as they help to moisturize.

On a true scent comparison...the Master is a slightly sweeter "bay oil" scent, but still very enjoyable.

Yes.....The scent is fleeting, but if you "layer"....use a good bay rum SS, follow with a bay rum splash, then coat with an unscented balm of some kind, and apply a cologne....I'll detect traces of the bay well into the late afternoon.

One tip: throw a little of the Master's in a cheap, small atomizer....and keep it at the office or wherever you are during the day and you can freshen up on command ;)

The Royall Bay Rhum is probably the most potent, if you will, initially....and the bracing effect of this one is enhanced with menthol. Good Bay scent here as well. Pricey, however, in comparison to the Master's.

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Thanks. For the price though, it's probably just as cheap to buy a second bottle for the office than to get an atomizer! :D

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

or, get this:

master bay rum.gif

.....and just take a bath in it:D

6. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

Joe, I have the TOBS Bay Rum splash. It is a much more subtle scent compared to the Pinaud Clubman, but still a bit more "cloveish" than Burts Bees.

Ingredients are:

Aqua, Alcohol Denat, Polysorbate 20, Pimenta Aeris (Bay Oil), Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Caramel, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylehlorisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Methylisothiazolinone, CI 14700 (FD&C Red No. 4).

I probably butchered some of the spellings. The label is printed pretty small, and my bottle has gotten a good bit of use

I find it to be pretty moisturizing, but sometimes steer away from it because of the ingredients. I dont even know what half of that stuff means! Sorry, no glycerin. Its worth a try though if you like Bay Rum, even though its a little pricey.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thanks Ed, for the info :)

That list isn't TOO disturbing, you are getting the moisturizing effect from the castor oil, I would presume....

It does at least, appear to use actual Bay oil - as opposed to "fragrance" (synthetic)

8. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I Have the Taylors Bay Rum ...... and it is very nice. My favourite however is Pashana Bay Rum. A fraction of the price....and to my nose a more pleasant scent.

9. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Good thread - has anyone tried the Ogalla Bay rum? It has a very attractive bottle (not that important but nice) and a good price..

I have only used GFT Bay Rum Cologne, nice scent but absolutely no staying power :(

10. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Where did you buy the Pashana? Anywhere aviable in the EU?

11. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The GFT Bay Rum quite possibly has the least staying power of any I've tried. It lasts all of 12 seconds on me. :eek:

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I like to splash MamaBear's BayRum FO directly on my face.
    I find it burns away 3 or 4 layers of skin and leaves me looking like I just spent 3 hours staring into the rods of a nuclear reactor.
    Oh, and the best thing is it lingers for weeks at a time. :eek:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Kids.....do NOT try this at home.
    This story was merely a reinactment to protect the newbies and the innocent.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I do like:
    Michelsons BayRum AS
    SCS BayRum with a twist EdT
    and the stuff from Sally's is pretty good and cheap, as well.
    I still havent found the Pinaud BayRum, but I am looking.

14. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Not yet...but I just bought this right now:

Ogallala

I'll let you know how it goes :D

15. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Looks close... :D

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

$27 and change from Texas Beauty Supply...you stole my post from TOP! :mad:

17. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

That Master Bay Rum is some good stuff. I picked up some Pinaud thinking it was the same stuff my barber used, turns out he uses Master. It's a steal for the price at Sally's.

18. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

The drawback of these discussions: purchases. I just ordered the Ogallala 2-pack last night (aftershave + cologne) and am pleased to get a note that they will ship before their 10-day vacation. :) Thanks for mentioning it.

19. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid