Bay Rum Chronicles

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Gilligan and Walter, Dec 26, 2014.

1. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I just have and have only used Pinaud Bay Rum. I find it very nice which mellows to a subtle spicy scent. I like it......... However, with regard to bay rum's where does it rank? Low, middle or high end? Please be honest as I don't want to be missing out on a good thing. Since I'm more of a barbershop scent guy I just wanted a bay run in my rotation for variety. Although not a bay rum, I also love Old Spice Classic (it's a must have)

2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I see VIBR as falling into the category of 'drug store' after shave. This isn't a bad thing, I am very found of 'drug store' after shaves. I hate to use the term 'low end', so I would go with affordable and effective. If you are looking to have a bay rum in your rotation just for the sake of variety, VIBR is a good fit. If you want to venture into the rabbit hole of bay rums, you will find the varieties, prices, and complexities ranging over a broad spectrum. If you want to try another bay rum without breaking the bank, go with Superior 70. I prefer Superior 70 over VIBR. Superior 70 is very fleeting and has a 'pure' bay fragrance. VIBR has a cinnamon, gingerbread cookie vibe that will be missing in the Superior 70. Good luck on your journey.

PanChango, 178-bplatoon and LaSalle82 like this.
  3. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. Very insightful.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I like Bay Rum, I only wish the scent lasted longer.
    Here are the ones I've used so far;
    Pinaud/Clubman Virgin Ialand
    Stephans
    Superior 70
    Gabels
    Boosters
    I like the VI and Stephans scents the most so far, especially the longevity of the VI scent.

I had no idea there were soooooooo many brands of bay rum out there. As I'm finally running out of some other after shaves I think I may expand my inventory of bay rum. :)

Gilligan and Walter likes this.
  5. Alex Flores

Alex Flores New Member

Chelsea's has a great Bay Rum but I am looking for a Bamboo, anyone know where they sell that?

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Virodoc and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. Kilgore Trout

You hit the conundrum right on the head.

I splash a generous amount on my chest which seems to extend the fragrance.

8. Kilgore Trout

I bookmarked your recipe. Good tips in there and it looks delicious. I am going steal some of this ideas if you don't mind.

It is my project for the New Year to go Bespoke Bay Rum.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'll have my patent law office attorneys in Jamaica contact your attorneys…. :D

10. Kilgore Trout

Send lawyers, guns, and money is my motto.:D

Virodoc and HolyRollah like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You got it, Mr. Zevon! :happy088:

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  12. Kilgore Trout

Can't slip anything past you.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm well-edjamicated in the field of nonsensical minutiae!

Spit_Fire and Kilgore Trout like this.
  14. kkilroy2003

kkilroy2003 New Member

I have Captain's Choice and I really like it. My wife LOVES it! I can really smell the cloves but after I splash it on the cloves are not as pronounced. Great stuff!

15. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I am a long time lurker and first-time poster.

I'd like to weigh in on WM Neumann in general and their bay rum in particular. All of the products from Neumann are really quite good. I ordered a sample pack of the aftershave's and like all of them, some more than others. The shave soap (Absolute Zero) I ordered was easy to lather, cushioning, slick, and had a very pleasant subtle scent. If you like menthol, you might want to give this a try. I also bought a bottle of their Heartwood aftershave balm, which is really nice with a complex scent (my nose first detects leather and tobacco) that lasts throughout the day.

Their bay rum is really good. To my nose, it seems a little spicier than Captain's Choice, but in a delightful way (I get more cinnamon and cloves than anything else). On first application I get the expected alcohol burn/tingle and then dries down leaving the skin feeling soft and moisturized, even here in the Northeast where the winters can be very cold and dry. I also find the scent lasts throughout the day, but is not overpowering or offputting. I realize what works great for one person may not be suitable for another, but if you like bay rum, you might like this one. It is more expensive but the products are really top shelf.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Wm Neumann products that I have tried (2 aftershave balms) are excellent. I've not sampled their BR, but if it is of the same quality as their others products, I'm not surprised it would receive high marks!

17. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Nice first post Martin-j, and excellent insights on the Wm Neumann products! I hope to see more of your comments in the future. :)

18. Gilligan and Walter

Gilligan and Walter Active Member

+1 on their aftershaves. I just received the sampler yesterday. I decided to use 1907 first. A wonderful fragrance.

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Stirling makes a nice bay rum splash similar to Captain's Choice, although it has more of a burn than CC. I enjoy it quite a bit and it is fairly reasonable in price.