Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by wyatt46, Feb 20, 2010.

1. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Spot on! I don't mind the scent of Pinaud BR, but it makes me smell like a Christmas cookie. Master BR smells much like the barber shop I went to as a kid.

2. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

You should try Ogallala Bay Rum at http://www.ogallalabayrum.com
    They have some of the best Bay Rum scents on the market and their priced right too! Also John Marquis is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet!

3. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I hear everyone talking about this ogalla bay rum lately, is it really as good as everyone says? How does it compare to the col conk bay rum?

4. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

+1 OBR

I'm an Ogallala BR fiend. If John makes it, I'll try it. If I ever have an acquisition disorder it will be with bay rum scented AS/cologne, and this thread has some interesting suggestions for me to try.

5. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Bay Rum Recipes

I have now tried several variations of Bay Rum and love them all.
    Some stronger than others but the manly scent of the Bay continues throughout.
    Here are some recipes for homemade Bay Rum Quoted from 'The Art of Manliness'
    Check out the history of bay Rum at,
    http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/21/diy-bay-rum-aftershave/

"Bay Rum Aftershave

* 4 Ounces Vodka
    * 2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
    * 2 Dried Bay Leaves (Don’t use the bay leaf they sell at the grocery store. While it’s good for soups, it’s not good for bay rum. Make sure to use Pimenta racemosa, sometimes available at natural food stores)
    * 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
    * 1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
    * Fresh Zest from a Small Orange

Combine all ingredients in a container such as a bottle or mason jar with a tightly fitting lid. Put the closed container in a dark, cool place (not in the refrigerator) for two weeks. This allows the alcohol to extract the essential oils from the bay leaves. After two weeks, strain the mixture through several layers of coffee filters. If necessary, repeat until no residue remains. Put in a nice bottle and splash on face after shaving.
    Bay Rum No. 3 Recipe from Mack’s Barbers Guide

I found this recipe in an old barber’s manual from 1866. This recipe calls for a bay laurel oil. The bay laurel is different from the pimenta racemosa leaf that is traditionally used in bay rum, so this recipe will smell a bit different, but it still smells good. You can buy a bottle of bay laurel oil online or at a aromatherapy store in your area for $20-$30. While a bit pricey, you don’t have to use too much, and it makes several batches.

* 2 Drams of Oil of Bay Laurel (a dram is 1/16 of an ounce)
    * 4 ounces of Jamaica Rum
    * 24 ounces of alcohol
    * 36 ounces of water
    * 1 ounce of pulverized magnesia

Combine all the ingredients above and strain through several layers of coffee filters or cheesecloth. Store in a bottle. You’ll notice that this recipe doesn’t call for letting the mixture sit for two weeks before using. Since we’re using oil of bay laurel and not the leaves, you don’t have to wait for the oils to be extracted from the bay leaf. You can use this concoction immediately after you make it. Instant gratification!

You can customize your bay rum aftershave to your liking by adding different spices and scents. Some suggested scents to add are juniper, lavender, rosemary, allspice, and cinnamon. Have fun! "

Bay Rum.jpg

6. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

DIY!!

Great post! I'm always looking for something new to try! Thanks!

7. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Bay Rum...

Just bought a couple of bottles of Clubman's Bay Rum from the local Walgreen's this evening. Looking forward to using it tomorrow after my shave.

8. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Just got...

just got my Dominica bay rum today. I could not resist I opened the bottle at work smelled it and was not impressed at first. it smelled like liquor. I though if I put this on I'm gonna smell like I was drinking at work, Since I'm the boss I thought ah who cares. anyways, I splashed it on boy what a difference, the bay rum and clove smell comes ALIVE. and no burn!... Amazing. this is my first bay rum and it wont be my last I know wanna try the lime version. I like it because the smell is subtle and does not last too long. I like to wear different colognes and don't want my aftershave to interfere. Thanks westcoastshaving for the fine product.

9. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

R.I.P

I Dropped my bottle of Dominica Bay Rum today. I finished shaving, reached over to get the bottle and knocked off the counter. what a cluts. I'm gonna have to buy another one. I think Ill try the one with lime. and I will put it in a plastic container.

10. Gnetics

Gnetics New Member

haha I was about to suggest that as reading. Sounds like I may have to try it, I dont like my AS to interfere as well and love me some bay rum.

11. newb

newb Resident Newb

+1 on the Ogallala burn, Ogallala's my favorite

12. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

Ogallala

I also use the lime & peppercorns. I have the smaller spray bottle aftershave balm. I don't know if it comes in a bigger container but this was a great way to try it out! Great stuff.

13. geogaga

geogaga Member

Guys, pardon my francais, but what's the point of using alcohol-saturated aftershaves? I mean, of course, they all contain alcohol in some amounts. But Bay Rum is basically a rum. Or I'm not that right? Alcohol dries the skin and blocks it from reviving after shave. Plus, it pinches your skin. Is this all about the scent or what?

14. grump

grump Well-Known Member

I think I will get some Masters and give it a try.

15. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

well from what I understand is that yes it it rum, but watered down, the alcohol is used to disinfect I believe. now with the bay rum I use is suppose to be all natural ingredients, no coloring or anything, I actually have gone a few days with just applying the bay rum and forget to put aftershave balm and my face feels fine. i recommend the Dominica bay rum the one with limes is good but the regular one smells better. now the sting is what wakes you up in the morning.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Historically, bay rum essential oil was distilled using rum. And the aftershave, Bay Rum, was made using rum.

Commercially, aftershaves can not be made using rum or any shelf liquor today.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  17. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

OBR is witch hazel

Straight from John M.- Ogallala Bay Rum is witch hazel based, so it does not dry the face like alcohol based AS. I noticed a big difference when I switched in less irritation and drying.

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    But it has alcohol, which would seem to classify it as an alcohol-based aftershave to my way of thinking.

19. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

Where does the burn come from in Ogallala BR? I get it from the regular bottle I ordered but not the samples John sent me. Are the samples a different formula than the full sized bottles? The samples are the lime & peppercorn and sandlewood variety.

20. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

I get plenty of burn from the full-sized bottle of Limes and Peppercorns I have. I attribute the warming sensation to the clove/spice component, since I do not get it from other pure bay rums (e.g. Superior 70).