Beginner Pipe Smoker

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Rocket Scientist, Oct 2, 2010.

1. wolfmanxiii

wolfmanxiii Member

Good advice from zombie concerning packing your bowl...read the guides, but that is all they are so keep them in mind while learning, but don't take them as the rules. Also keep in mind that different cuts may benefit with different packing techniques. So just like shaving it is an experimentation thing.

Look up pipesmagazine.com and look at their videos. They have probably 4-5 different packing technique videos on their youTube channel I believe and they are probably linked on the site as well.

If you buy any pipe other than a cob thoroughly inspect it before you buy it. I can't tell you how many basket pipes I have bought and had issues with thinking that I was doing something wrong because I couldn't smoke them to the bottom. Every one of them had high draft holes. Do some research on that issue so you can get a good idea of where the hole should hit the bowl. If nothing else research making pipe mud as well...I've gotten some good cheap pipes from learning how to mud a pipe and with being a cigar smoker you'll already have what you need to make mud.

2. jrocker

jrocker Member

I used to smoke pipe but quit because I stopped feeling anything from it.

3. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Here is a pipe tobacco review forum that will help you out on your new journey;
    http://tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm

I also suggest you have a look at this web site http://www.boswellpipes.com/
    I have purchased a few of the Boswells pipes for my father, who has high regards for this custom pipe. My dad has several pipes, to which each burns a specific tobacco, ie one for aromatics, one for straight virginia, another for penzance etc.
    Hope this helped! Cheers!

4. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I wonder if he is still smoking a pipe. Its been over a year since he asked. But for the record, I've been smoking pipe for the past 40-years. I smoke cheap old Prince Albert tobacco and most of my pipes or either Ashton or Dunhill.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm something of a daredevil when it comes to aftershaves so I have also been a risktaker with tobaccos. I've got a near-full can of 1961 Edward G. Robinson pipe tobacco that I break out occasionally...another can of stuff even older than that. Found both in sealed and usable condition for a good price, just needed a bit of moisture to bring back to life. If there's no evidence of mold/mildew and it's not already turned to powder, I'll try it at least once.

6. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

I smoke Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes almost exclusively, and have for over 4 decades. There is not a better smoking pipe on the planet, made by anyone, at any price. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Missouri Meerschaum. Most cost less than $10.00, and even their most expensive collectable pipe, the Freehand, is only around $25.00. I'd start out with a Legend. It's a good medium-sized pipe, for a 30-40 minute smoke. For shorter smokes, I like my Huck Finn, and the Pony Express. They'll give you a good 10-15 minute smoke, like on a break, or for trying out new tobaccos. When fishing, or just sitting in my rocker on the porch, solving the world's problems, the MacArthur will give you a good 1-1/2 to 2 hour smoke. So will the General. They have a pipe for every possible situation.

As far as tobacco recommendations, that is not possible, because everyone has different tastes, which is why there are several hundred different pipe blends out there. If you want something that will taste more like a cigar, then try blends with Kentucky Dark fire in them. If you are not sure, my recommendation is to go to pipesandcigars.com and try some of their samplers, both aromatic, and non-aromatic. You can call them, and tell them what you are looking for, and I am certain they will find you something you like. Russ is an expert on tobaccos.

There are many more flavors available in pipe tobacco than there are for cigars, by light years. Try all you can. Finding just the right blend is a big part of the fun.

Whatever you do, you should do like I do, and smoke in moderation. I almost never smoke more than 8 or 10 bowls a day.....

I must warn you, though. Pipe smoking is different than cigars. Smoking pipes can cause you to become introspective, and intellectual. Anytime you light up a pipe, you run the risk of becoming the Wise Elder, regardless of your age. People will ask for your advice, woman will gravitate toward you, and your IQ may increase against your will.....

Enjoy.