Behold... the Gillette Fusion Proshield is here. :)

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Nov 17, 2015.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Robyflexx likes this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

3. engrsaks

I could ask the same on the variants of single edge razor. :/

4. engrsaks

5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Is it just a new coating or did they change the blade? The handle is kinda neat looking. Bulkier then the old one, looks like it could be more comfortable in the hand.

Robyflexx and engrsaks like this.
  6. engrsaks

I can't speculate about it right now. When the product hits the market in North American region (in late december), I will try to have one imported here to my country. There were rumors that Gillette will release gel dispensing razor but I guess this is the product which Gillette intended to release for better cart-lubrication.

Believe it or not, Gillette print, written on bottom lubrastrip looks very neat. :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. DDuckyMark

Last time I used a fusion was 6 years ago when I was in the Army. Are the rubber fins new to this model? I still have the handle hung up with my DE and SE razors. Maybe I'll pick up a pack of these to try for travel. I keep trying and failing to make one of my DE or SE razors pack well with a brush and soap. I can use cremo and a fusion and skip the brush.

8. engrsaks

The rubber fins have been replaced with a lubrastrip (as far as I can tell). The real question is, will this cartridge model have a higher market price than Gillette fusion proglide power cartridges? If yes, then it will be quite a disappointment.

There are DE safety razors such as Pearl travel razor that you can disassemble and easily pack it with your other shaving equipments, have you given one a try?

9. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Looks like maybe a version with built in menthol also?

10. DDuckyMark

I thought I saw a small comb under the blades in your first post. Looks like what used to be the rubber squeegee part got reduced quite a bit to make room for the lubricating strip and it looks like the top strip is thicker by a bit. I like that they are releasing a mentholated cartridge as part of this line. They probably will cost more. That seems to be Gillette's marketing strategy any more, make small changes then add 50% or more to the price.

11. DDuckyMark

With as many lubricating strips this thing has it would have made those mid day dry shaves in Basic almost comfortable. some sweat or a splash of water (or spit) and go at a face. Maybe some of the future trainees will have an easier time of it.

engrsaks likes this.
  12. engrsaks

It seems that menthol is there in the Proshield chill version.

13. engrsaks

Oh yes, the rubber fins are there. Thanks for the correction. :)

pvtbanks likes this.
  14. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Those perfect times when DS decides you didn't shave close enough for his liking.

engrsaks likes this.
  15. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

That's pretty cool. Makes me kinda want one as a back up for days I don't have time.

engrsaks likes this.
  16. DDuckyMark

I don't have a flexball handle but I still have my old fusion handle so I may pick up a small pack of each type to try. the standard Fusion are $5.50 a cartridge so I'm afraid to see how much these will be. $20 worth of DE blades lasts me 150 shaves and thats for the higher priced Kai blades I prefer. $20 of fusion lasts me about a month. The cost is what keeps me shaving with my vintage razors. I can get a good shave out of disposables and cartridges fairly easy as long as I get a decent soap and pay attention. I just can't afford it. Even the higher priced SE or injector blades are more cost effective. $20 of injectors are 112 shaves. SE Gem blades $20 gives me 80 shaves. My face eats up blades and its sensitive enough to not tolerate dulling blades so I use more then some in a month If the cartridges lasted months for me like Gillette advertised as possible then I might not use my older razors as much.

engrsaks likes this.
  17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

So no gel dispenser? This is what they have done with the Venus.

engrsaks likes this.
  18. engrsaks

Yep, venus for men is here. :p

19. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I have to question how much benefit it will really offer. My experience with the Hydro suggests you don't need before-and-after lube strips to get a persistent coating of goo on your face. The Hydro remnants stick around plenty, with just the one reservoir. And frankly, I don't like that much lube on my face anyway. I found it combined with my soap and made for a sludge that was hard for the blades to cut through.

I did just visit Gillette's website. "Cooling technology"? Who knew menthol was technology?

Perhaps the most intriguing part of this release (for me, at least) is finding out what price per cart Gillette feels is justified.

CyanideMetal and engrsaks like this.
  20. engrsaks

Same here, Mr.Nathan. If you ask me, a pack of four proshields will cost at least $2-$3 more than a pack of four fusion proglide power cartridge pack (if previous price trend is continued). BTW, it is interesting to see that Gillette has added a microcomb in its newer cartridge model for manual razors too.