Being Thankful Far From Home...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by SlagleRock, Nov 27, 2008.

1. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

A Thanksgiving feast in the sandy Mid-East...

Well I just got done gorging myself to the point of stupidity. I'm not sure if I need a nap or need to evacuate foodstuffs from both ends.

I have to say the contractors and food service personnel that run the DFAC did very well this year. All of the dining facilities were well decorated and the food was very good.

My meal consisted of:

Turkey Breast
    Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
    Cornbread Stuffing
    Corn on the cob
    Deviled Eggs
    Salad
    2 dinner rolls
    Pumpkin Pie with whipped cream
    Egg Nog
    Cranberry Juice
    Milk

For every one item I chose there were 3-4 more to choose from. Our food was served by senior leadership. The atmosphere was great. It's always hard to be away from the family on special occasions. I've missed birthdays, anniversaries (my wife and I haven’t ever been together on our anniversary), Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving and on and on. I have to say though if I am not fortunate enough to be in a position to share my Thanksgiving meal with my wife and my children I have no doubt I wouldn't want to spend it with anyone other than America's finest. I serve with the finest Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen. And while we may not be fortunate enough to have this celebration with our immediate families this year we are still celebrating with our brothers and sisters in arms.

2. dmikel

dmikel New Member

I'm thankful we have people like you keeping our country free. Thanks so much for your service.

3. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Thank you very much.

4. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Thank you brother! Good to hear you had a nice meal, my friend.

5. Smoke

Smoke New Member

gaudeamus igitur.

Sounds like you had some good food!! It beats the he** out of the Hungry Man dinner I have planned!!!

pax vobiscum.

Smoke

veni, vidi, vici!!! ::kngt :happy096

6. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I'm thankful I live in a great country served by amazing, selfless folks such as yourself.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm very happy to know you guys and gals got a good meal! Thank you for sharing!

And thank you for your service! :happy096

8. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Bless you!

My best friend is home from Afghanistan for 10 days for Thanksgiving, then he will return to serve until April.