Bengall

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Hanspleasure, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Okay.. so I'm a complete noob when it comes to straights but since this came in a loot razors I picked up last year.. I've become curious.
    Can anyone tell me about Bengall.. maybe year of production and the such?
    I seriously doubt I'll even hold one to my face but I can still appreciate the simplicity of it! Any info much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I don't know much about that razor. Will have to leave it to the experts here. It looks great though - little honing evidence. It is great when the box comes along. It adds so much more depth - maybe not shaving ability though! But some good backstory!

3. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

There are several manufacturers who marked their razors Bengall, but I believe the one you have there is by the most commonly occurring Bengall manufacturer, T.R. Cadman. I have about 20 of them now - they are all over the place in Australia.

I'd guess yours is early to mid 20th C. T.R. Cadman used the trademark "Bengall" from 1906 to about 1953, I think. So if it says T.R. Cadman on the other side of the tang, that's what you have.

Here are some links to some info.

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/coresite/html/searchresults.asp?SearchOn=makerassets&ID=217

http://www.uniclectica.com/misc/manuf.html (search on the page for Bengall)

They are excellent shavers, and yours looks like it would be no exception if honed properly. In fact, it is in excellent shape from the photos.

James.

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

James is right on it. From the Uniclectica page he referenced:

BENGALL
    Originally a trademark of Luke Cadman, Sheffield, England from ca. 1748-1906.
    From ca. 1906 - 1953, used by:
    Thomas Radley Cadman & Sons
    St. Mary's Road, Sheffield.
    In business at least between 1892 and 1953.

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Bengalls are GREAT shavers :D

6. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

Thanks for all the info guys! Yea.. it does have Cadman located on the other side tang.

7. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Hi
    Jimbo,
    Could you tell me how much they are going for over your place as I would like to pick a couple up if I can;)

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

What about one with horn scales stamped "The Old English Razor" ? Any info on that? I found one in an antique store and sent it to a member here.

From this thread...

This side says Bengall on the tang
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This side says "Concaved by Friedmann & Lauterjung"
    [​IMG]

I couldn't find anything in the links Jimbo posted....

9. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I have one like yours. It took me a while to hone (I think it has a slight warp), but is now an outstanding shaver.

Jordan

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

FRIEDMAN (FRIEDMANN) & LAUTERJUNG
    New York, New York
    In business in 1892

11. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Most of mine have been given to me either by family or from people I meet who find out I am into straights. They usually disappear into a back room and come back out with a Bengall or two...

Anyway, depending on where you pick them up and what condition they are in, you can find them here for anything between 15 and 60 AUD. They also crop up a lot on the bay. I think Australia was a major market for Cadman in the first half of the 20th century, as most have the T.R. Cadman stamp. If you want the more exotic, older Bengalls (like Truckman's or Jordan's) I think ebay or the razor forums would be your best bet. I picked up a lovely old cast steel Bengall from around 1810-1820 that way.

James.

12. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:rolleyes:

That's what I get for trying to look for something before going to bed when I got home from work this morning...

Thanks Bronco :happy088

13. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

They look really nice! Think I'll wait until the run on them at *bay is over.
    This thread should increase prices and sales. :D

14. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

What is your stud fee? I'd like to hire one out for my filly

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

@Truckman: That's a bengall (Candman) blank that was hollow ground in Germany by another company - Friedmann & Lauterjung.