Bent razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by digb2042, Oct 10, 2018.

1. digb2042

digb2042 New Member

So I have a '65 Gillette Slim Adjustable and it looks like the blade is closer to the guard on either end of the blade. Is this something that I have to worry about? Could it cause irritation

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2. digb2042

digb2042 New Member

Also, the polished finish is starting to wear off. Is that an issue? I'm fairly new to DE shaving.

3. brit

brit in a box

please post a picture if you can..

4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

The finish is probably not an issue unless the area that is worn rough; like when chrome flakes off of an old auto bumper. If the worn area is smooth, then you won't notice it. But yes, you could have a bent razor and that might cause irritation. Depends on the extent of the damage. Dropping a Gillette adjustable from the height of your counter might cause the T-bar/base/doors to bend. These parts would be hard to bend back to shape without breaking them. If you think it is bent and you are handy, then you could buy a damaged razor and scavenge the parts for yours. There are a few folks on the Web that repair and refinish. You might try Captain Murphy at Vintage Razor Repair. He done wonders with razors that looked pretty far gone. Email: vintagerazorrepair@gmail.com

RyX, AGHisBBS, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep, Cap Murphy has repaired a number of my razors to 'factory new'.

Herm

6. digb2042

digb2042 New Member

Not the best pictures but it is tightened and the setting is at a 5[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

RyX and brit like this.
  7. digb2042

digb2042 New Member

Also, since I've had the razor I have not dropped it.

8. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

From your 3rd photo, something is definitely out of alignment. I'm wondering if the T-bar isn't parallel to the door edges?

Can you take a shot like the 3rd one but with the blade in but the doors open? And with no blade and the doors open?

brit likes this.
  9. digb2042

digb2042 New Member

Here are a bunch more pictures[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

brit likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Captain Murphy would be able to do any adjustments you would need. PM me if you need his contact information.

Herm2502 and brit like this.
  11. kfbrady

Agreed. If you really like the razor get in touch with Chris Smith (Captain Murphy). He is the "go to" guy for fixing these things.

Link below...

Vintage Razor Repair

Herm2502 and RyX like this.
  12. Terry Williams

So, here is what I noticed. (This is totally unscientific).
    I drew straight lines along the top and bottom of the base and it clear shows a difference from one side to another. Could've been dropped; someone might have tried to take it apart and clean it; who knows... I also drew a line to across the blade adjuster in the setting 1 photos. You can tell that the adjuster is not square with the base. That tells me that the T-bar is probably bent. The adjuster plate should be square with the base.

When the base and the T-bar are not perpendicular, then you get the problem that you are seeing. Could be the T-bar, could be the base. But, something is wrenched. You could measure with a caliper or a ruler and figure it out. It won't be perfect, but the T-bar stem should be perpendicular to the handle and the blade adjuster. Though, it looks to me that the T-bar is leaning to one side. I think this presents well in the photos of setting 1. There is a clear discrepancy between the base and the adjuster and the base and the doors. But, take this with a grain of salt. It is very, very hard to know if the photos are dead straight. They probably aren't because you are holding both the camera and the razor during the shoot. So, each of your hands is moving which means that neither are keeping things square. So, my analysis might worth everything that you spent on it.
    Number 1.jpeg Number 1b.jpeg Number 9.jpeg Number 9b.jpeg

brit and RyX like this.
  13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

This is why I don't like buying old adjustable razors.

brit likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Same.

BigMark83 and brit like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

The razor is made of brass. The finish is nickle. Over the last 50-60 years of use the silvery plating will wear off. That's what make the cosmetic difference between a Collectors grade and a Users grade. Once you get the mechanics straightened out you can think about investing in replating, ceracoat, or enjoying the razor in it's battle worn condition.
    I hope it turns out alright!

brit likes this.
  16. digb2042

digb2042 New Member

Thanks for all the help. I bought this razor with the intent to use it. I wanted a vintage razor. I guess I'll have to get it straightened before I use it again. As for the finish, I'll leave it with the aged look. I'll just have to use my DE89 and my Tech for now till I can free up some $$ to invest in the Slim.

Terry Williams, brit and RyX like this.
  17. kfbrady

You might be better off, dollar wise, just getting another.

Slims are easy to find and can still be bought relatively inexpensively. I've bought 3 this year (I gave 2 of them away to friends) all with their original cases and blade packs, and all in really excellent condition, cosmetically and mechanically. I don't think I paid more than $30 for any of them.

18. digb2042

digb2042 New Member

This is probably the best idea and now I know what to look for. I have sensitive skin as it is (especially the neck) and this was just a bad experience.

19. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Question: can Capn Murphy straighten a warped Gillette Old Type? I have an English made Old Type that has a visible bow shaped bend to both the topcap and baseplate, as though at some point someone had really pushed down on the ends of the head and bent it down a bit around the handle.

20. Terry Williams

Hm. I kinda doubt. But, most Old Types are made of brass, so, it might be possible. Best thing to do is send him an email and ask. Worse case is that he says 'no' and you get a another one (usually not too expensive).