Bentonite Clay.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Aztecface, Mar 7, 2008.

1. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Most clays are very absorbant in nature. They will pull water and expand like a sponge. This is why they are used in soaps to stabilize lather because they thicken and add body to the lather instead of it just being bubbly.

Not all clays are the same, kaolin alone comes in several color variations which have unique absorbant qualities to them depending on the effect you are trying to achieve with it in the blend. Depending on how much clay and what type clay goes in to a mix as well as how the soap is processed, there's always going to be variation. I also have some sensitivity to bentonite as well. Because it is very absorbant and pulls oils away from the skin it leaves my skin feeling stripped of moisture and irritated after shaving with it.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Check what WikiPedia has to say about Bentonite Clay. According to the article it says Bentonite Clay absorbs sebum, and water evaporates quickly from clay.

Cosmetic use of Bentonite Clay is at the very bottom of the page.

3. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Interesting information I hadn't looked over, thanks for sharing that.

My observations are just based on personal experience, my time I've spent making CP soap, and discussing various use of clays with a good friend who has experimented quite extensively with them over the past 10 years. For some reason, bentonite doesn't work as well on some people's skin as others. One of those YMMV things.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That's cool, Mike!

I just hadn't heard anything except, clay is for adding glide to a shave soap. Your post piqued my interest a bit. I'm glad you posted it.

5. mike Ratliff

mike Ratliff New Member

I wonder if fresh aloe would be stable enough in soap, that would surely give you slip...
    I know my soap contains large quantities of Bentonite clay... I've never heard of it causing problems...

6. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

I think it's worth the try. I've been thinking of adding it as an option for my soap.

By the way, I like your site.:D

Susie

7. Automaton-Tim

Automaton-Tim New Member

When I was drilling holes in the ground for geo-tech exploration with an engineering firm, we would use bentonite to seal the holes. It provides excellent patches to prevent leaching into the local aquafir. I never knew that people shaved with the stuff...

8. mike Ratliff

mike Ratliff New Member

Thank you :D

I have been considering experimenting with pure aloe to dilute my shave soap, and make a shaving cream/gel... But I haven't done enough research, I'm not sure how long it would last without preservatives, or if it would require refrigeration...

If it turned out to be stable, it would probably negate the need for clays.

9. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

I might try the aloe gel. I need to look but it is probably not as "pure". I don't make cream/gel, so if you do it, with that, let us know how it works. Sounds interesting.

10. likwidoxigen

likwidoxigen New Member

I know I'm one of the few but I'm highly highly allergic to pure aloe gel. I literally go into spasms and itching fits. I found this out on a bad case of sunburn last year. First (and last) time I ever used the stuff. I've been avoiding aloe products ever since and my skin has gotten miles better.

11. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

No aloe gel for you then!:mad:

Seriously though, Wow! I wonder how common that is?:ashamed001

12. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Probably as common as clay problems == not very.

Still, it's important that the ingredients are clearly advertised so any allergic reactions or irritations can be avoided.

13. likwidoxigen

likwidoxigen New Member

Heh, I have to agree with mastermute on this one I'm the only person that I know of that had this problem. Most people don't even believe that it's possible! But it is possible. I can use products with aloe in them, just not a significant amount and the pure stuff is a biiig no no.

14. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

Yes, ingredients should always be listed. You never can tell what someone might react to......