Benzac

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by leigh44, Aug 25, 2014.

1. leigh44

leigh44 Member

As you can see, I'm a newbie and my switch from electric shaver to safety razor has been improving with each shave, but I added a pre shave cream to my routine (forgot to add water at the start), tried a new blade and things went a bit pear shaped and I've ended up with a few ingrown hairs on my neck.

I looked up a few ways to treat ingrown hairs and read somewhere that benzoyl peroxide was a good ingredient for treating ingrown hairs which my wife had in the medicine cabinet. So I've used it on the affected area and it has done the job, but just wondering if anyone knows much about this product and if it does any damage to the skin ie. Drying out etc

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've never heard of it being used to treat ingrown hairs, but it's a common ingredient in acne treatments.

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Sure, I use/used on ingrown hairs. It seems to work for me. You might also want to keep a container of Pads such as OXY brand or some other such Salycilic Acid Acne pad. Both can dry out the skin so just do not go overboard.

4. leigh44

leigh44 Member

Thanks, appreciate the feedback!

5. rxshave

rxshave Member

Any peroxide creates free radicals as it decays to form water and oxygen. Benzoyl peroxide has a relatively safe profile but the free radicals are there whether you like it or not and free radicals = damage. I use oxy products but then apply a Vitamin-C enriched cream afterwards to neutralize those pescy buggars