Best *Affordable* Disposable Str8

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jramire2, Jun 26, 2007.

1. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I'm wanting to get into str8s, but I'm looking for BBS and to try something new, not necessarily pickup a whole new hobby and all the gear for it. That being the case, I figured the best route would be to get a disposable str8.

I've been reading and doing some searching and I've found 3 different types/brands so far. The shavette (1/2 a DE blade basically), the Monsieur Charles, and the Feather AC's. Are there any more that I should know about that I should consider? I've also found "Hess" disposable and "Magic blade" disposables, whatever they are.

I don't want to spend an exorbinant amount of $, and I really don't know whether I'd like a nonfolding or folding str8. And while the non folding Feather AC looks like a butter knife (IMO) I've heard that it's actually easier to shave with compared to a folding str8.

So....any suggestions and or recommendations about a disposable would be appreciated. I know that only wanting a disposable str8 is probably sacrilage to true str8 shavers, but I seriously don't have the time or $ to keep up w/all the time and stuff required to keep up a real str8 like it should be.

I'm leaning towards the MC at this point. Don't really see the point of a shavette (might as well stick w/a DE) and the Feathers are too much $ for me (at least the ones I want). But I can pick up an MC for under $30 and I have tons of injector blades. But if there's something out there that's better I'd like to know about it.

thanks,

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Joshua,

When you say you do not want to spend a lot of money, How much do you have in mind?

The reason I ask is because you can get a shave ready razor and a strop for around $70. These being a good quality razor and strop. I'm sure you already know to get it from someone that knows how to hone it properly so you don't have to worry about making it sharp but just concentrate on learning how to use it and to strop it properly. This will keep the edge sharp for some time depending on stubble and frequency of use. If you don't think that this type of shaving is for you I'm sure one of us will be happy to take them of your hands for what you paid for the items. I never tried the disposables I went with the real thing and never looked back.

I suggest, if you have not done so already, go to SRP to research for prices. I have seen good strops (new) for under $30. A good quality starter razor will be in the $30 to $40 range.

Having said that from the choices you mentioned I think the Feather AC is probably the better choice. Based on reviews I have read over time the Feather, in my opinion, is the better choice. I'm sure other members will chime in with their suggestions. Hope this helps.

Raf

3. mparker762

mparker762 New Member

The feather is a very nice piece of kit, but the blades are so sharp that they bring their own challenges. I've got a Monsieur Charles and using ASR injector blades it shaves remarkably like a well-honed straight, with similar weight and balance.