Best brush for the $$

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ctjkelley, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think the best deal on boar brushes is the SOC boar in wood handle.
    For $26, including shipping, it's a darn good value for money.
    You can get it at vintagescents.com and use the coupon code "foroafeitado" - it gives 10% of any purchase on that site and is valid until 2018 :)

2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

No mention of any synthetics? I would recommend the Muhle STF v2, Muhle Black Fiber, or loccitane Plisson, or HIS. Value because they are cheaper initially. than most Silvertips and also because their long term costs are much lower. They will shed much less. Since they are not natural, their fibers won't degrade as fast because they are a kind of plastic. Ever see a vintage synthetic? They look like new. A vintage natural will most likely be begging to be put out of its misery. Synthetics will also consume less soap to produce the same lather than a natural and so will pay back what you paid for it initially in savings.

BamaT likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

ps1160, BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Or if the code DIVINITY57X67 is still valid get free shipping AND a gift :)

6. The Omega Pro 49 is a great low cost brush.

BigMark, entropy1049 and HolyRollah like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes indeed. Still one of the best boar bargains in the brush biz! :happy088:

8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Lots of great advice. Be sure to keep us posted as to your choice and how you like it when it arrives!

And please post pics, lotsa pics! :D

9. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I'm a little late to this thread, but...

+1 on the Omega Pro 49. HOWEVER... the Omega Pro 98 has the same knot but with a larger handle. If you have amazon prime, you can snag this lather monster for just under $12 >here<. A lot of shops sell this excellent brush, so there may be an even better deal out there.

If you don't do it on this purchase, put a long handle brush of some type on your wish list. There is nothing wrong with the shorter handles, but the extra length somehow changes how it feels to use the brush. Not so much the knot, but how the brush "drives."

Let us know what you choose!

PS
    Omega 10098 looks like this:
    [​IMG]

entropy1049 likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think you mean vintagescent.com. I really enjoy my Semogue brushes. They have been all that I have been using recently, but I still think the best bargain brush is the mid sized Omega boar. It is a lot of brush for $10.

11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

+1 on a synthetic. My H.I.S. 1865 was about $35, but it is so far superior to my 2 boars. A cheaper brush isn't necessarily the best value. I really like the looks of the L'Occitane Plisson, I'd like to get one of those.

Today's synthetics lather easily, are soft to the face, and dry quickly. Mine doesn't shed at all. Not sure about longevity, but I suspect they're superior in that respect as well. What's not to like?

12. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I have a synthetic knot from TGN. It is GREAT! Super soft. Decent backbone. My only reservation is that it holds too much water. I can get it right, but rarely on the first try switching over from my other brushes. I really like @fram773 's comments on the lower cost of ownership. I hadn't thought of that before! Cool.

Uh... I still stick with my vote of the Omega 10098 as maximum bang for the buck, though.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  13. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I agree with this statement 100%. The '98 is an unsung hero in the shaving brush universe :wave:

maltedmilk likes this.
  14. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

what do you mean that you need to set the WD silver tip deep? how many mm deep

15. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Many think that the WD Silvertip is too floppy at the standard loft of 55mm (set 10mm deep)( in reference to a 22 or 24 mm knot). By deep setting it, you'll get more back bone. Most people's thinking about double the knot size is a good rule of thumb. 45-50mm (set 15-20mm deep) total loft. Mine is 24x48. Works great. Larry charges $5 extra for this service.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Tattoobob likes this.
  16. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

+1

However, Semogue and Omega boar brushes just might be it for simple, lather generators which should last you many years! :)
    Badger brushes is another story and extremely complicated. :lyrtuy5:

17. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I'm very impressed with omega boar brushes. I have 3 now. All work great.

My vulfix 2234 is also a great badger brush for a good price.

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

One day I will try a horse hair brush. For some reason they intrigue me.

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Semogue 1305 Boar. WD Silvertip. WD Synthetic.

20. Gummy1

Gummy1 New Member

For good value for the money go with WD. For brush questions ask Larry. Larry is a wealth of information. I bought a 22 mm Silvertip set 20 mm deeper with the faux ivory handle. Extremely happy with it. A vast improvement over the VDH brush.