Best brush for the $$

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ctjkelley, Oct 20, 2014.

1. nibbs

nibbs Active Member

Just curious being new to all of this, and only reading a handful of threads/tutorials/explanations... but aside from handle options, which can greatly affect cost, what are you getting from a $200 silvertip brush vs one from whipped dog?

2. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I have 2 brushes that are Silvertips :
    Whipped Dog 30/45 Silvertip total cost with deepset and shipping $49
    Jerusalem Olive Wood/WD Silvertip 24/48 total cost, I set the knot $38
    You can't beat this for the money, but I would still bleed for an Oscar11.
    image.jpg

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

What he said.

4. Herm2502

Love that Jerusalem olive would handle!! Gotta check it out.

ObiDon likes this.
  5. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    short version: nothing

slightly longer version: Let's skip the handle, recognizing that material and labor drive the handle's cost. The real question mark is in the knot. There are too many terms and too few definitions to be 100% sure that one knot is better than another. As long as you've read the stickies (here and here), you are as consumer savvy as it gets. The rest is finding a supplier you trust. A lot of folks trust Larry at Whipped Dog and Anthony at The Golden Nib. These guys have proved themselves by delivering good product to MANY on the shaving forums. I have a TGN boar knot and love it.

You can also roll your dice and go the direct-from-China route. I've been quite happy with my little gambles, but not everyone has fared so well. Caveat emptor!

Finally, you can throw some big bucks at a big name brush. Many have and love the results. For the money, I'll send my dollar-votes to WD and TGN.

NOTE: At risk of being a broken record, I think the Omega 10098, though boar, can hold its own against any badger and presents one of the best brush values out there.

Welocme to the Den...
    and Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  6. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1

Omega98 ProrasoGrn 30pct.jpg

Darkbulb, nibbs and maltedmilk like this.
  7. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Don't think this one's been mentioned, but the Omega 10066 is a great option as well. It's basically a smaller pro 49. Dimensions are 54mm tall by 24mm wide I believe. I've heard from a few people that the Pro 49 is a little big for them, so the 10066 seems like a happy medium if you have a smaller face.

Bristle Me, nibbs and GDCarrington like this.
  8. nibbs

nibbs Active Member

thanks for the education. I had ordered the omega 10098 to start after reading several suggestions mentioning it, and to not completely feed into a new habit. Somehow I foresee several brushes amoung other items in my possession in the future... :D

maltedmilk and Bristle Me like this.
  9. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

I just received my silver tip from Larry over at WD. navy blue handle, deepset, I'll post some pics soon. Any advice as far as preparing before use other than what Larry suggested?

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Not really. Just follow Larry's suggestions. If it still has that funky smell, you can shampoo it or test lather with it. The badger funk will go away with use.

11. Herm2502

Love those technical terms, Clint. I had know idea that smell was called "badger funk", but the name sure fits!

icemanwbs likes this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

;) It sure does

13. icemanwbs

resized.jpg
    right out of package, before suggested preparation steps

Douglas Carey, Sara-s, dbersh and 2 others like this.
  14. icemanwbs

what exactly is meant by "bloom" in a brush ? Will this particular brush "bloom" ? Just curious.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The knot will bloom like a flower, opening up after a few uses.

16. icemanwbs

that's what I thought, but will it keep its density?

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Yes it will. I'm sure you'll like it.

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

vintagescent.com

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

My recommendation is Whipped Dog Silvertip also.

20. icemanwbs

resized.jpg

my new WD silvertip, can't beat price and service !

Douglas Carey likes this.