Best canned shaving gel?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by venom0706, May 24, 2014.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Aveeno. My Dermatologist recommended I try it for a while on my head. He claims the gels provide superior glide and slickness. I've been using it for about 6 weeks now, with a few days of using Edge while traveling. I've heard the Nivea sensitive isn't bad either. I still prefer my soaps. In about a week when I finish up this can of Aveeno, I'm going back to them to see if it really made any difference or not.

PatrickA51 and richgem like this.
  2. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I get just as good a result from Barbasol as I got from my brush and puck and at about a buck a can it's a heck of a deal. I don't even go through all the pre-shave hydration rituals I see around here; a wetting with a warm cloth, lather and shave. No irritation and no ingrown hairs. If I had any complaint it would be that Barbasol is too thick but it isn't dry, in fact it stays moist longer than most puck soaps.

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I kinda wish I could get away with that but if I could I probably would have never gone looking for better shaves and wouldn't have found this place :)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Extra Creamy!

extra-creamy-reddiwip.png

And if you ain't skeerd of the razor burn,
    go DARK!

chocolate-reddiwip.png

Go ahead. I DARE ya... :D

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I bought a can of Hydro shave gel at a yard sale (it was full). Quite nice, performs well. Only wish it was menthol.

6. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Barbasols great stuff and it's in my rotation. I have a can of the Arctic Chill and I facelather it with my brush.

Clayton

7. MicBaldy

MicBaldy Member

It's not a gel, but have you tried Cremo Cream. It's a very slick non-lather cream. I think it's pretty good stuff when I don't feel like lathering up.

8. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

The best gel I've ever used was Aveeno.
    Followed by Nivea Sensitive and Edge (grey cap) with oatmeal.

If you're okay with using gel is a squeeze tube try Bump Patrol Cool Shave Gel. It can even be worked with a brush.

9. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Gillette Fusion Proglide Regular and Sensitive (gel)
    Gillette Foamy barbershop and sensitive (foam)

:)

10. Star

Star Active Member

I'll second this. I generally try to stay away from canned anything but this stuff isn't bad. I don't love it, but I don't really hate it either.

11. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

How exactly do you use the brush? Wet, dry? Truly brush the Barbasol in or just smooth it out after applying by hand? Might have to try this since I love the scent of the original foam.

12. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I use it to wet the lather just like I do with a thirsty cream, or soap. Barbasol is fairly dry coming out of the can.

Clayton