Best Multi-Blade Razor?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Eric W. Ford, Jul 26, 2009.

?

Best Multi-Blade Razor?

1. Sensor

27.7%
  2. Atra

9.2%
  3. Trac II

23.1%
  4. Sensor 3

1.5%
  5. Mach3

21.5%
  6. Fusion

21.5%
  7. Quattro

6.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. scott69

scott69 New Member

Definitely Gillette Sensor. I got mine many many years agowhen they first were introduced. It's a sterling silver plated limited edition with an engraveable case. The reason I like it so much is that Sensors do not have that rubberized strip mounted below the blades. They say its supposed to stretch you skin to lift the whiskers, but all it does is pull and create drag. Sensors shave very smooth, comfortable and close.

2. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

After this, I've stopped searching ...

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power SilverTouch Flexball
    and its cartridge with 294 shaves

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN, brit and Leo K. like this.
  3. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

4. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

I wonder if any of you have used the Schick Super 11 with twin blade. Though I now use SE of all types, I got a Super 11 by mistake,and I am trying it out as a Travel Razor. Though I have not used a Cart regularly for some years, From memory better than a sensor ,Mach 3, and tried it against a Feather Neo and the Schick won.

FC229884-0F7F-4EE5-9265-74B5F471D3B5.jpeg

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not listed, the Wilkinson Bonded but only because it's long dead. That was the superior cart shave for the ages, imo.

6. ShaversRUs

Yes, I've used them. It is Shick's version of a Gillette Trac II, and they are compatible. I've used NOS Schick Super II blades on a "Paul Revere" pewter-like Schick Super II handle, as well as on other after-market twin-blade handles. Some Super II blades will also fit on an Atra pivot handle as well. If so, the package will be marked "also fits Atra".

A fixed head cart, albeit with twin blades, is similar to shaving with a DE. It is probably your best bet to use when traveling, since it will minimize you starting to use bad habits that could potentially affect your DE shaves when you get back home.

Contrary to the advertising in the 70s, the second blade will not cut the hair under, or even at, the skin's surface. If that were the case, then you could do a one pass shave and get a BBS. You cannot. If anyone says they get one in one pass, then they are lying.

It takes roughly the same number of passes to get as close of a shave as you get with a DE or SE.

As far as twin blades go, and carts in general, the Schick Super II blades are as good as it gets. I once did a longevity test with one cart, and if I remember correctly, it lasted me at least a month of daily shaves.

Some Super II carts are marked "Exclusive Teflon Coating", but I don't know if all have it even if they are not marked. Some are marked "slim design", and this just means that the cart is narrower on the shortest side, making it easier to navigate in places like under the nose.

Some also are marked "Ultrex", and this is a white button on the cart that when pushed, clears the blade of whiskers and cream not easily removed by rinsing.

If they are marked "Super II Plus", then they have the oft-maligned (for good reason) white comfort/lube strip.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    PLANofMAN and MPF9 like this.
  7. ShaversRUs

I bought a bunch of these on eBay several years ago, but still have not tried them. That should have been the only carts that were necessary, looking at the design. Fool-proof blade changing, for those who did not want to risk cutting themselves on a DE blade, or who could not get the hang of loading an injector razor without dulling the blade when it was inserted.

What chance did it have, though, with Gillette advertising the "one-pass" shave (though they didn't actually say that) with a Trac II, whose second blade would cut the remainder of the whisker that the first blade missed? And then the Atra, where you didn't have to worry about angle, since the razor's head automatically adjusted to the contours of your face?

I'm not sure how long the Wilkinson Bonded was in production, but I've found scans of ads online as late as 1980, which would have made it at least for 10 years. I had originally thought that it lasted around 2 years, then went the way of the Woolly Mammoth.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You need to try one. If you don't care for them, I'll be happy to make a deal with you for them. As it is, I'll take the T-II.

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. ShaversRUs

Oh, yes, I will definitely try them. I have a trip coming up in a few months, and that will be a perfect chance to use them. Before a trip, I usually use the cart/disposable that I will be bringing for about a week, complete with foam out of a can so I can get used to it again.

10. ischiapp

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Interesting that Trac II gets double votes of Atra.

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  12. ischiapp

In practice, at least in these early uses, I find no difference with Fusion ProGlide.
    Of that line I appreciate the Power handle, which combined with FlexBall technology (in practice equal to FlexDisc) I find better.
    It also offers the advantage of using the same attachment, so you can choose other cartridge types such as the gentle SkinGuard.

One thing I find more effective: the lube strip.
    Too much. I’m using cold water, to limit.
    As you can see from the photo, if it continues like this it will have short life.
    Which I don’t mind, since I’m already going to take it off.

Here are the details of the SOTD.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/posts/2078865/
    [​IMG]

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

slime strip

ischiapp likes this.
  14. ischiapp

[​IMG]

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. ShaversRUs

Well, not surprsing since this is an "old-school" forum. Trac II is the closest to DE or SE shaving among the items on the survey. But I see that Sensor leads all. I bet Trac II and Atra are splitting votes.

16. ischiapp

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Out of a time crunch lately, I've been using a Schick 3 blade cart. Can't complain about the results.

18. ischiapp

19. ischiapp

Today, 11th use.
    In fact, a surprise.
    https://www.atgshaving.com/posts/593670/
    [​IMG]

It’s the first time a 5 blade hitech cartridge lasts me this long without bothering the skin.
    Especially considering the efficiency, and the fact that I’m not using protection.
    Deliberately, neither preshave nor aftershave.
    Zero doping.

20. ischiapp

The experience is going on.
    https://www.atgshaving.com/posts/593782/
    [​IMG]

I’m re-evaluating next-generation hitech shavers.
    Like all powerful tools, they require technique.
    Specifically, an adaptation of the traditional technique.
    But it’s worth it. IMHE.