Best pizza toppings

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Flatfish, May 16, 2011.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I put it right on the grate. The pan it is shown on was only for serving. Usually when I make my dough I pre-cook it a bit before adding toppings, but I don't do that with grilled pizza, because it is heated from the bottom up. I turn all four burners on our grill to low, and it hovers right around 400 degrees F. Turns out great if you like crisp crust.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

BURNERS?!?! DID YOU SAY, "BURNERS"?!?!? REAL GRILLS DON'T HAVE BURNERS!!! ::kar

Just messin' :D Thanks. Sounds like I would push the coals to one side so as not to burn the bottom too bad. Any tips on avoiding sticking? I usually use a non-stick spray just for grilling. And, yes, I do like a crisp crust.

voice940 likes this.
  3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

thin hard crust baked on top of lots of bird seed (corn meal). pepperoni, sausage (spicy), mushrooms (real not those rubber bullets) and banana peppers. extra well done.

think Massey's Columbus Ohio

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I usually rube one side and or grill with some oil. Cooking spray will work. Pop it on for a tad flip dress it up. Take it off and great pizza. I think i still prefer it in the oven... Not sure why. Might be because of the corn meal. I love it the texture it has is wonderful.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have an old kamado cooker, which is similar to the big green egg. I got it at a garage sale about 15 yrs ago and it makes excellent pizza. The fire is low enough that I put a pizza stone on the grate and cook on it. I have also used it to bake bread, smoke cheese, peppers, ribs, pulled pork, etc. If I take out the top fire ring, I can crank it up to about 850F and sear a damn nice steak.

If you happen to have the space and enjoy barbecuing, i definitely recommend a ceramic cooker.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:) Yeah, I know. I have two grills. A gas one I use when we need a quick dinner, and a charcoal one for when I have the time. I figured that the gas one would be easier to control for my first couple tries at pizza. For sticking I didn't do anything, but my dough isn't terribly sticky, and I have cast iron grates that are well seasoned.

7. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I'm the same way. I love to barbecue, but don't have the 3+ hours it takes to do it right (I'm a big fan of "low and slow" cooking for ribs). I love to come home from work and get out the gas grill and do kebabs, burgers, sausage, etc. and be done quickly. Ribs, for example, are an all-afternoon affair in our house.

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

mmmm BBQ

I have also made a desert pizza that was pretty amazing.

It had

Peanut Butter
    Nutella
    Marshmellos

Cooked crust a bit first then added peanut butter nutella mixture. Then placed cut in half marshmellows on top. It was like the ultimate smores with peanut flavor. The marshmellows went a nice golden brown... But be carful they get extremly hot and can be a pain to cut.

9. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Well last week I had my ideal pizza. Well more or less.
    My wife insisted I buy it as we were on holiday. It cost about £19 which I wasn't very happy about. It wasn't piled six inches high as I would expect at that price. Finally, to top it all off, I took a bite of the first slice and most of the topping came off, I was surrounded by people so I felt compelled to try and stuff it all in. And it was hot. Very hot. I had immediate blisters followed by some blood. :angry021

I think my follow up post will have to be, "what salad products do people like.

10. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great pizza :happy102. I must say I hate how some places charge so much money for a pizza which isnt as good as Pizza Pizza or dominoes.
    Which is why i stick with home made pizza most of the time unless lots of people or something.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ouch!

Reminds me of my early days in Germany. My buddy and I went into town to get a couple of pizzas for the families. Neither one of us spoke any German, and the owner didn't speak English. To top it off, the menu was all in German (many places near military establishments had english "subtitles"). We point to the menu and order two of the most expensive, figuring they would be the largest with the most on them, to go. We wait, and the guys brings out our two pizzas, boxed and ready to go. We get them home, open them up and discover a fried egg in the middle of each one! Not bad, but we didn't order those pizzas again.

12. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Portbella Mushrooms, Red Onions, Peppers, Spinach, Goat Cheese.

13. IversOC

IversOC Member

My Fave Four

Sausage
    Mushroom
    Black Olive...

and if I had to have a 4th

Garlic

My wife and I like to get Spinach with half Canadian Bacon half breaded eggplant from our local-est pizza place.

When we go to CPK, I order the Jamaican Jerk Pizza. Its so good, spicy and sweet all at the same time.

14. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

Pesto
    chicken that has been browned with sesame oil and soy sauce.

Then topped with provolone cheese.

sometimes with drop or two of balsamic vinegar

15. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

Canadian bacon and mushrooms.

16. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Today i am useing up left over stake on my pizza. So it was just a simple marinade. Going to put on roasted asparagus some feta and possibly tomato sauce. But I think i am going to stick to some olive oil and basil.

17. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Best pizza I've had hand's down comes from San Remo's Pizza in Apollo Beach, FL:

Olive Oil
    Sliced Garlic
    Ricotta Cheese
    Mozzarella Cheese
    Romano Cheese

Perfection.

18. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

my buddy from puerta rico says the pizza hut has chirizo as a topping option , hmm this I have to try

19. Claudius

Claudius New Member

Interesting threat!

I personally always like the Italian Classics, for example the "Cappricciosa" (tomato, ham, mozzarella, mushroom, artichokes) or the diavola (salame napoletano) or the "mother" of all pizzas:D, the "Margherita" (only tomato, mozzarella, basil)

20. ubermick

ubermick Member

I enjoy making pizzas, and recently (accidentally) came up with one of the best I've made in a long time - Greek pizza.

Basically it's lamb meatballs cooked in marinara sauce with some olives. The marinara thickens and is used as the base of the pie. Then add the olives, about a third of a jar of sliced pepperoncini that's been squeezed as dry as possible, good feta cheese, and the lamb meatballs. Came out fantastic.

EDIT: Well, can't call me original... it's kinda similar to this:

[​IMG]

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/greek-lamb-pizza-10000001823357/