Big bottles of Aqua Velva??

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rollsshaver, Feb 20, 2009.

1. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Got a link?

2. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Seriously....... How big? I have read that they have made bottles of AV that are in excess of 13ounces. How big is yours?

Right here.......

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77144

3. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

So over there they are talking about a new plastic bottle and a reformulation. It's hard to say how the reformulation would effect the stuff of course. We'd have to wait and see and by then it's too late.

If it's important to you, I'd go buy a few bottles of the stuff just to be safe. For sure I'll be wanting a full bottle before they make the change if for no other reason than to have a glass bottle to decant should they switch to plastic. As I mentioned earlier I have started seeing the bigger bottles on the shelf at Wal Greens. They didn't even offer the smaller bottle last time I was in there. Someone else mentioned it is a 13oz bottle; that sounds about right. We'll see how this plays out.

4. rollsshaver

I might just go out and get a a few cases of the 7oz bottles. that should last for a couple decades............

5. biomesh

biomesh New Member

If you search around you can find pics of a 15oz bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue (in a plastic bottle!)

6. rollsshaver

Ehhh..... I would rather have the glass bottles. Seriously though, I am looking around right now for deals on entire cases of AV.

7. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

8. rollsshaver

I just went through the whole process. Came to $118 with free shipping for 2 cases of the 7oz bottles. That is a total of 24 bottles. Thing is, break that down, and it comes out to about $5 per bottle. I might actually be better off going to Wal-Mart and clearing them out. The one I go to sells the 7oz bottles for $4.25. And I bet if I want to buy 24 bottles, they would work out some sort of discount.

Of course, for those of you who do not have such easy access to the AV, this site Jason listed is a Godsend!!

9. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Appleton use to sell a huge bottle, but i'm pretty certain it was discontinued a couple years ago.

For those of you contacting combe, don't expect a reply. I've responded to emails they sent me, and i've still never gotten a response. I'm curious if they ever get seen.

I have no idea if this threat is real, but i'll be stockpiling just in case.

10. theneek

theneek New Member

They sell big 15-oz plastic bottles of Aqua Velva blue on ebarbershop dot com and it's the same formulation as the glass bottles. So, all this talk of them changing the formula if they switch from glass to plastic is just that: talk.

11. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

i didnt see the AV there....saw the balm. That site is so over priced I am sure it would out price the bottles as wal mart. Everything they have is close to double what the regular price is? Everything is ....rare, discontinued, hard to find, etc. BS artists is what they are.

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

BS artists indeed. Anyone who spends a 1/2 hour doing research knows you can beat their prices every time. Hmmm...wonder if they have shills out trolling the forums?

13. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

:happy096

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Them's fighting words Brother...:D:transport024

Fuzzy

15. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

From what I've gleaned from across the street and elsewhere, the "Classic Ice Blue" isn't the original. I've seen pics of a golden-hued AV from the 40s. Is this a scent long left in the past, or does it survive in a form available in the US?

16. Drew

Drew Member

Bed Bath and Beyond has a 14 oz. bottle, I believe... really cheap, $5, if memory serves.

I bought the Walgreens variety, and thing the scent is a little more subtle (which I like) but otherwise seems to be a good representation of the original

best
    Drew

17. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

I just saw an Aqua Velva Aftershave commercial on TV (ABC) tonight. It was on between Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. A father tossed a bottle of AV to his son. I could not tell if the bottle was glass or plastic though.

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Overhand or underhand?

Overhand, probably glass, underhand, probably plastic. :D

19. rollsshaver

Problem solved guys. I managed to talk myself into buying 20 (7oz) bottles of AV. That should last well into the days when my son is old and gray, and I am no longer needing it.

20. A reformulation because the current formulation would actually melt the plastic?

This is my assumption. I'm not trying to be funny. Its entirely possible that the current formulation would react with and degrade the polymers that make up a plastic bottle... yet another reason I won't put it on my face, besides the antiseptic smell.