Birthdays/Events

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by IAmTheJody, Aug 12, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

When I came back to the site this time, it's showing it. About an hour and a half ago when I came to the site, it wasn't showing it. Does this off and on. I've cleared my browser cache and TSD cookies to no avail. But since it does show up when it wants to, I'll see it eventually. Better to see it eventually than not at all. ;)

2. IAmTheJody

A screencap log showing time and date.. in this one, 10:58 AM today, no birthday box.

[​IMG]

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

nope... I haven't seen the box yet either.

4. IAmTheJody

8:56 PM... finally showed up.. been missing since my last post.

[​IMG]

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Whoa! I was on! :)

6. IAmTheJody

So it's showing Weishi Warrior is having a bday today but when I looked at his profile, his bday is tomorrow, the 19th. I'm guessing the server is located 3-hours ahead of me. Maybe there weren't any birthdays today and that's why I haven't seen the box all day, until now.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Server is in TX though....maybe the forum is on GMT or else it would be an hour behind you.....right?

8. IAmTheJody

Haven't a clue. I just know at 8:56 PM, it was showing people who have birthdays tomorrow.

Now here I am back only 33 minutes later and the birthday box is gone:

[​IMG]

Not complaining, just trying to give Sparky some kind of idea what's going on.

9. IAmTheJody

First time all day long, the bday box finally shows again.. 10:37 PM

Sparky, when you want me to shut up about it, let me know. lol Just posting these to help you determine the pattern and whatnot.

10. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I believe this is related to caching. I'm doing some tests, but it might take me a bit before I get it nailed down.

In a nutshell, TSD has 13 mirroring servers across the world. These servers provide the more static parts of our forum, while relying on the main texas server to provide the dynamic content. With the system setup like this, you're routed to the most responsive mirroring server to your location. The fastest server to the end user can change, depending on internet congestion, and equipment failures (not necessarily the one closest to your location). I believe that the recent birthday addition isn't being added to the cached data correctly, but really I don't know until I have some time to watch the results of my changes. Just gotta do some digging around....

11. IAmTheJody

No worries.. :)

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It is working now for me. Could this caching issue also explain why some of us have had problems getting onto the site since the server went down for a few hours last week?

13. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I can't say for sure, but yes, it's possible.