BJ Eyre Challenge Razor Restoration

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by xChris, Jul 18, 2008.

?

Which wood should I use for this restored blade?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2008.
  1. Wood #1

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Wood #2

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Wood #3

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Wood #4

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. Wood #5

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. xChris

xChris Member

Thanks to Freebird's tie-breaking vote, this blade will get scales in purpleheart! Thanks for the votes.

I'll post up more photos when I've got something modeled up.

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Oooooo...I think the next set I want to do is purpleheart, too. I can't wait to see what these look like, Chris!

3. Blade

Blade Member

Hi - how do you find the heat build-up with a large buffer like that? What sort of rpm does it put out, any idea?

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Heat-buildup isn't much of an issue. It does depend on the steel, though, there are some that get warm much more quickly than others. I can work on most razors for five minutes in a row without any heat-related issues. I have to take a guess at the RPMs but I'd say around 700 (maybe 800) would be a safe bet.

5. xChris

xChris Member

Finally -- an update!

So, I bought a couple of hand tools in the months since I last did anything with this restoration. The last one was a coping saw, purchased this past weekend, to help me cut away the excess wood. I then used a combination rasp and double-cut file to rough in shape. I also used a dremel in a drill press to allow the use of a drum sanding bit and a router bit for refining the scale shape. Finally, I did some initial sanding.

Here's some photos to show the results so far. They include a side and over-top view plus one with the blade in a mock up of what the final result may look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

It's gonna look great when finished!

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

Lookin good Chris! :signs107

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Looking good! :happy096

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

That's going to look stunning! :drool

10. xChris

xChris Member

Whew!

Well, it took me about 10 months to finally finish this project. I actually got something that looks like a usable razor too. :happy102 The only thing I have left to do now is touch up the finish on the scales (Watco Butcher Block Oil & Finish), and hone it.

I managed to do this with a dremel and hand tools. I don't think that I will be doing another one anytime soon with just those implements. :o I did learn some things, and there is definitely a lot of areas that I can improve on for next time. I'm glad there are some real artisans around here (e.g., Bill, Gary, Peter, Joe, Glen) that do this regularly, because otherwise I'd have a heap of rusted, ugly blades and razors around my place. :eek::D

So, below are photos of how it ended up. The wood scales are purpleheart (as selected from the poll), with a smoke gray plexiglas [tapered] wedge, and brass fitings (pins, domed pin washers, & washers between razor & scales @ pivot).

Please feel free to provide feedback & critiques.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Wow Chris - that's beautiful. I love the pupleheart and the blade looks great too. Awesome...

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Very inspirational. I plan to start a set of purpleheart scales this week, and I hope mine look this good!

13. xChris

xChris Member

Thank you for the kind comments!

Blair--
    I wish you good luck and enjoyment on the scales you're about to make. I'm sure you'll have them looking better, and in a much shorter time too.

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Wow Chris, that is just plain stunning!

15. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Stunning

Issy

16. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

splended, my friend! That piece of wood looks awesome!

17. xChris

xChris Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all of the kind comments!