Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I revisited the Personna Blues yesterday in the Blackbird. The first outing didn't go so well due to my inexperience with the razor.

This go around went much better. I like these blades, very comparable to the likes of Astra and Feather, very smooth and sharp feeling. Another effortless shave with the Blackbird.

Edit: Blackbird #2 out for delivery! Along with my cousin's set and my replacement handle. :) Should have it all in the next hour if the postman keeps to his normal schedule.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    BeShaved, David Green, ShaneS and 2 others like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    Ironically, I like the one piece box design better. Probably because I'm not so fond of the short handle.

I'm loving the look of the black one. It doesn't photograph as well as the satin stainless, but it's really cool looking.
    [​IMG]
    I'll try bumping the contrast under bright lights to bring out the swirls in the finish.
    [​IMG]
    It's not actually rusted, it just looks that way under my bathroom lights, through the camera lens. Very cool. I'm happy with it.

BeShaved, Segafan#1 and MattCB like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Here's the original photo.
    [​IMG]

BeShaved, Troy M and ShaneS like this.
  4. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

As a bit of a follow up to my previous posts... The angle trick that PLANofMAN suggested has made all the difference. I plan on doing a 30 day challenge with the BB, my Astra Supremes, and my Omega boar. My straights will probably be missing me by then....

Troy M, clint64, Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday, January 16, 2015

Blackland Blackbird
    Gillette Silver Blue #2
    Malachite Alt. Ivory TGN Super
    Palmolive Classic
    Myrsol Metilsol, Whipped Shea Butter
    Proraso Aftershave
    BB Classic

IMG_0071.jpg

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I have sad news to report.

I accidentally knocked my new case on the floor, watched the Blackbird pop out, then watched the lid slam down on the razor.
    [​IMG]
    I now agree with both the people who thought there should be magnets to hold the case shut, and the people who thought the edges of the razor are too sharp. Though perhaps not for the same reasons...*wry grin*

I'll do something to restore it. It's too early in the morning to think about it just now.

Edit: The razor's fine by the way. No damage.

7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

What pretty colors in your photo Mark! :love055:

Boojum1 likes this.
  8. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    :(

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Boojum1

Thank you Robert. :happy088:

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

@Troy M What beautiful composition of light and shadows! upload_2016-1-16_13-0-5.jpeg

PLANofMAN and Troy M like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    Seriously though, best picture of a black Blackbird yet.

13. Troy M

Thank you. I got lucky. It also helps to be shaving after the sun is up. Thank God for weekends!

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Boojum1

15. fdce54

fdce54 Member

You can add me to the list. I have the 101mm machined version. I have shaved twice with it. First shave I used one of the enclosed Personna blades. The shave was very uncomfortable, tugging and not smooth at all. Second shave was today, this time with a Polsilver super iridium. Not much of a difference. Even got some weepers on my neck. First time for weepers in a long time. I am a daily shaver. My razors are Merkur 34c with Astra SP, EJ DE89 with Personna Blue, Weber Bulldog PH with Gillette 7 O'clock black and an ATT R1 Kronos with the Polsilver SI. All of these razor and blade combos are smooth, clean shavers. I don't have a thick, dense beard. For those of you who are getting smooth shaves with the Blackbird, what blades are you using?

BeShaved likes this.
  16. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

My first shave with the Blackbird was with an Astra SP on it's second shave.

Gave me a very smooth shave.

ShaneS, fdce54 and Robyflexx like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Sounds like an angle issue, not a blade issue. I had rough shaves with every blade until I figured out the correct angle.
    Now, I'm not sure there is a blade this razor won't use easily.

18. Troy M

I've used the Persona and Astra SP blades. All of my shaves have been very smooth. Ditto what Ryan said.

ShaneS, fdce54 and Robyflexx like this.
  19. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

(fdce54) Keep in mind that every new razor has a learning curve, very seldom will you get that "perfect" shave in the first few times using it.
    Try resting the top cap against your face then gently lower handle till you just feel it starting to cut the hairs .. the BB has a unique angle from to top cap to bar ... im guessing after a few more shaves you'll start getting it dialed in

BeShaved, Troy M, ShaneS and 2 others like this.
  20. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Astra SP as well. The angle was the issue for me as well. Summary of issues for me was start with razor cap on face, lower handle until you barely feel feedback. That is the correct angle (or damn close).

Troy M, ShaneS, fdce54 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.