Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssultan

ssultan Well-Known Member

You're too kind sir! With the way shipping expenses stand, I can't let you do this. But the offer is highly appreciated and I truly thank you for it :)

I will pick some up in my next blade restock.

LuvWetShavin likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Every time I photograph it, it looks a little different, and none of the photos do the unique coloration justice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

twhite, ShaneS and PickledNorthern like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am so excited to be able to order mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colonel_K, PLANofMAN and ShaneS like this.
  4. ssultan

ssultan Well-Known Member

Ordered some last night :)

ShaneS likes this.
  5. Papa Roy

Papa Roy Active Member

NOTHIN LIKE A BLACKBIRD!!!

ShaneS likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I received one of the v 2.0 open comb baseplates yesterday, and have shaved with it twice so far. Initial impressions were mixed...one moment it felt more aggressive, the next more mild. The second time around, I took more time setting it up, made sure the handle wasn't screwed down so tightly and switched out the used Personna Blue blade for a fresh Ladas. I also used the short handle, as I was wanting a more nimble, lighter, shave. It doesn't really feel much different than the Blackbird bar plate. I'm going to take the day off from the Blackbird tomorrow, and then do alternating shaves with the OC and bar plate for the rest of the week.

After that, I'll post up a final analysis, and then sand it down smooth to get rid of the printing ridges and see what difference that makes, if any.

I have noticed that the open comb allows for a greater degree of flexibility in the shave, and I can switch from a shallow angle to a steep one and still get similar results.

7. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I'm interested to the differences in the OC and SB. I thought I was done with razors since I have 2 that I really like, but I like the looks of the black oxide version and the reviews are mostly positive.

PLANofMAN and ShaneS like this.
  8. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

My question is... If I purchase the BB in black now at the $160 price will I be able to buy the OC head polished at what approximate price point? Or should I just wait for the OC to begin production? I would actually like to have the option of owning a BB with both heads.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

ShaneS likes this.
  9. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Will the OC be available in polished SS?
    Looking at the specs the extra $70-75 doesn't seem unreasonable to me when comparing apples to apples. Granted the ATT is available right now but I like the aesthetics of the BB and the initial investment is a few bucks easier on the wallet considering having to justify this with SWMBO.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

ShaneS and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. loubal

loubal New Member

Ordered a machined finished Blackbird last night

PickledNorthern, PLANofMAN and ShaneS like this.
  11. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I thought the tins were a good idea since every other razor comes with a box. You could put some foam padding in the tins and they could be used as a travel case.

ShaneS likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Shave Den member #26
    Welcome to the Brotherhood.

ShaneS likes this.
  13. nupe10123

nupe10123 Member

As mentioned before, I've been using Astra blades in my blackbird and was looking for suggestion on what to try next. Well, I ran out of Astras' and since I only had Feathers on hand I ended up using the Feather this morning. I was shocked by how much smoother it felt and also noticed that it had a much louder and higher pitch 'tone' when cutting my whiskers. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure if it was the blade or the BB that made it such a pronounced sound, and it was really surprising to experience such a difference.

It's only one shave in with this set-up and the feather really does seem to perform significantly better for me than may Astra (which has been my go to blade for most razors). Maybe things seem better because it's a new experience for me, maybe it's a real difference. Guess I'll know after several more shaves, but just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the audible sound of the feather in the BB?

ShaneS likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I have to get a shave with a feather blade in another razor before it's tamed down enough to use in the Blackbird. It's a bit too harsh to use in either the Blackbird or a red tip right off the bat.

ShaneS likes this.
  15. nupe10123

nupe10123 Member

I've heard similar feedback from others and it's been mentioned in a video review I saw. So I was hesitant in using the feathered bird. I probably paid more attention to this shave than I normally would have and used pre-shave oil that I'm not too consistent in using. (This may explain why the shave sounded so different to my ear).

However when all was said and done it was a perfect pairing for me. No irritation etc. I use an alum block after every shave and that would have let me know if it was all in my head or not. If things change down the road for me (I hope not), I'll report updated results. But as of right now I plan to stick with a feathers bird pairing.

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

In this last week, I have been fortunate enough to be able to try out one of the Blackbird OC base plates. I am very excited for the release, because this is an awesome razor!

I have used it for five shaves now; nearly perfect every time. It is very similar in its performance, with the corners being rounded, it definitely does not require as specific of an angle. In terms of the results, I am getting the same awesome shave in the same amount of passes, and like its older brother, I can go ATG on my neck with no irritation.

I can't wait to get ahold of one in black. I think in terms of recommending one or the other, it will be a personal preference, and mainly aesthetics. At the very least, any worries that the OC will be more aggressive, can be laid aside.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461337290.216525.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clint64, Dzia Dzia and ShaneS like this.
  17. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Chiming back in after another amazing head shave with the Blackbird and an Astra SP blade. I went through a series of blades that simply did not play nice with the Blackbird and then found a Fatboy in the wild that has been taking up a bit of my shaving focus and well the Blackbird was neglected. Blades that I tried that simply didn't work well with the Blackbird were: Derby Extra, Gillette Nacette, vintage grocery store blade (likely a Personna iteration), Voskhod and Rapira SS. I was surprised because most of those blades are very good in other razors.

However, the Astra SP seemed almost as smooth at the Personna Lab Blues that Shane sent with the razor and the resulting shave left my scalp super smooth and the Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave offered very little sting. I'm back in love with my BB!

18. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

Another great Blackbird-Feather shave this morning.

ShaneS likes this.
  19. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Yep !

20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I put my Blackbird aside for some reason in late May - likely because I wanted to give my Fatboy a good trial. I grabbed up my Blackbird this morning and had a fantastic 2 pass head shave and 2 pass face shave. I think I'll use the BB for a while again. I opened a pack of 10 Rapira Super Stainless and if day 1 is any indication, the BB and the Rapira SS get along great.

ShaneS, obturador and Boojum1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.