Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have placed myself in a spending freeze for several months now, just waiting for a long handled, black oxide. I have been holding out for the open comb, but I might just buy one of these, and get a plate when they are ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the open comb myself, should be a nice change.

3. PickledNorthern

I broke down and ordered a long handled black oxide yesterday. I have been holding out for the OC, but I kind of think I want that one on my machine finished anyway.

I love my machine finished bird, but I have been coveting your guys' black oxide since day one.

I am so freaking stoked!

Boojum1, obturador, ShaneS and 3 others like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

My Black Oxide should be here tomorrow. I have decided I am going to buy a machined open comb plate when they come out, to put on my short handle, and then I am done with razors until....

5. PickledNorthern

Got it! My new favorite razor.

[​IMG]

Troy M, ShaneS, Boojum1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Congrats! They are outstanding shavers.

ShaneS likes this.
  7. PickledNorthern

Thank you. They are for sure my favorite razors. Now I just need an open comb plate.

ShaneS likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

Now I just have to figure out what handle length I like better.

ShaneS and Troy M like this.
  9. ssultan

ssultan Well-Known Member

The shorty is fun!

10. Segafan#1

Segafan#1 Well-Known Member

My blackbird is still my go to razor.... Waiting for the oc haha

ShaneS and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I don't think I'll change. I originally wanted that 'standard' handle length, but I've gotten used to the longer handle and it fits my use.

12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I used my original Blackbird for a long overdue head shave ~10 days. The blade was a twice used Rapira SS. Let me tell you, despite the long stubble, the BB never clogged and never bit or burned. It is a fantastic tool and I am convinced it is my best shaving razor for all uses. I have some great razors - Fatboy, Slim, New SC and LC - but the Blackbird just always stays at the top. It is effortless to get the correct angle and it seems to like almost all blades that I use with it.

obturador, ShaneS and Colonel_K like this.
  13. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I shave my head daily and although many people see this as something to be afraid of it's actually easier to shave my head then my face, no need to tighten or stretch skin.
    The Blackbird is for me one of the easiest razors for that task. As of late it has taken over even my Wolfmans as preferred tool.

Troy M and ShaneS like this.
  14. Joshua_Bullough

Joshua_Bullough New Member

I'm definitely going to pick one of these up as soon as they are available. However, I'm teetering between the oxide finish versus the polished. What do people think who own one of these razors? What are the benefits of each finish? Or, is it just down to aesthetic preference?

ShaneS likes this.
  15. PickledNorthern

I think it is pretty much just preference. I have one of each (machined not polished), and the shave feel is exactly the same. IMO, the stainless is a gorgeous razor, and the oxide is just cool as Hell.

ShaneS and Colonel_K like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

Keep in mind that the machined is a pretty bright machined look as opposed to some of the more "industrial" (for lack of a better word) looks out there. It is brighter than a typical brushed stainless look. It is entirely a preference thing, but I prefer that a thousand fold over the polished chrome look.

I haven't had the oxide model long enough for it to be developing any type of weathered look, but it is exactly like a blued gun barrel.

My oxide model has the long handle, and the machined the short. As soon as it is available I will be putting an open comb plate on my machined, and I honestly can't imagine a cooler pair of razors than that.

The fact that they are the best shavers I have ever used is just icing on the cake.

Segafan#1, obturador and ShaneS like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

Yes, OC's coming shortly.

18. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Ordered a polished Blackbird hopefully due the end of the month! Can't wait. Shane has been great to deal with, especially when I Changed my mind after ordering. Very prompt and helpful even over the weekend.

ShaneS and PickledNorthern like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

You will NOT be disappointed. Welcome to the club!

ShaneS likes this.
  20. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard any updates on the latest production run? My son is getting interested in shaving and I showed him a picture of the Blackbird. He thought it looked very cool and is almost as excited as me to see it in person! I can't wait for the OC plate as well. I just picked up a Grackle DOC to hold me over and have some fun along with my birthday razor - M2 Gillette slim adjustable. The RAD is bad and I think my wife is about ready to commit me! When she sees the Blackbird come and the OC plate to follow.......

ShaneS and clint64 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.