Blade Bank Idea

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Marine68, Jan 12, 2018.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

When I first saw one one of those, I figured I was in. When I saw they wanted $15 for something that was worth $.99, and could be a Cracker Jack prize, I changed my mind.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I KNOW I can make one. Probably better.

Marine68 likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

One of these ...
    white-leviton-blank-wall-plates-r52-88014-00w-64_1000.jpg or white-leviton-toggle-switch-plates-r52-88001-00w-64_1000.jpg
    A dulled edged razor blade, a dremel and a super glue or epoxy. You got the same thing for 28 to 59 cents.

If you feeling lazy, double sided tape.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Marine68 and Jayaruh like this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have one of those blank plates. It's actually _exactly_ the size of a light switch/electrical plate, made of stainless steel, and has a slot in the center of it. If I was to install it, I'd put bristles on either side of the slot to be an air dam.

5. Bookworm

From the description, it's glazed porcelain. Those are kind of cheap, but certainly not like the initial impression of a plastic molding. $15 is a bit much, but I guess it's also that they don't sell a lot of them, so they're low volume production.

Maybe someone here with a 3-d printer can knock some out :)

RyX, Marine68 and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's cool but I'm just very CHEAP. :sad027:

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Bookworm

Take a piece of masking tape and put it on the wall. Take a keyhole saw, put it in the middle of the tape, and push until it is embedded just wider than a razor blade. Gently pull out the saw, wipe up the mess, and smear elmer's glue into the hole to keep additional dust from forming. Carefully peel off the masking tape, and write 'RAZOR' above the hole with a marker.

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Or you could just toss them out the window as you drive down the thruway to work. :signs081:

Troy M, Jim99 and Keithmax like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I figure it this way ... why spend money on something you're gonna throw away. I use this stuff already, so cut a slot under the flip cap and you're done.

pinaud-clubman-talc-9-oz-2.gif.jpeg
    A 9 ounce container will probably last 20 years or more.

RyX, GarnerPW and Jim99 like this.
  10. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Restaurant matchstick box. Hold about 100 blades, than into recycling

57F126AC-0628-481A-8A62-8F7C7588A940-1240-0000021B46ACD4D9.jpeg

11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Blade bank
    $1.95 ea
    From Em's Place
    https://www.emsplace.com/shop/proddetail.asp?prod=Double_Edge_Razor_Blade_Bank

I bought five of them six or seven years ago, and am on my fourth one. They last a long time, are dirt cheap, and fit on a shelf in my medicine cabinet. When they are full, just chuck them in the recycle bin. The blades don't fall out. It does not get much easier than that.

Jorvaljr and Marine68 like this.
  12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my razor bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skulmoski, RyX, Enrico and 5 others like this.
  13. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Outstanding

Enrico likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We use an Altoids tin.

Enrico likes this.
  15. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great ideas. I found this vintage Band Aid box. That will now serve as my new blade bank.

band.jpg \

16. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Got one from Italian Barber. Pasted blade labels on it. Pretty sure it rained that day.

Bottom pops out so if it ever gets filled, I'll dump the blades in a coffee can. Then when that gets filled......

blade bank.JPG

Skulmoski, MR41 and Bookworm like this.
  17. Bookworm

It's almost like a paper mache blade bank :)

MR41 likes this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Well looks like PAA is now reproducing these ceramic Frog Blade Banks. But unlike the Listerine version theirs has a removable bottom.

Marine68 likes this.