Blade Corking

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Does anybody else do this? I find that my Derbys and Feathers have a slight degree of harshness (pulling, tugging) when they are brand new, and a few strokes through a piece of cork really smooths them out. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but one theory I have read is that there is a coating on the blade from the factory that prevents complete exposure until after some initial strokes (or the entire initial shave). If this theory is accurate, then, in essence, corking puts the blade in "2nd shave mode".

2. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I usually just run mine over the meaty part of my thumb a few times. It's the manly way to cork a razor! :signs113

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Someone once told me that if you have to cork your blades, find a different blade. When I shaved with Derbys I did cork, and it made a big difference to me, but now I have found blades that work just as well for my face without corking. Then again, if it works, don't fix it. ;)

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I would have to agree with Rodd. You shouldnt need to dull a blade for it to work on you IMHO

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I don't think this is "dulling" per se, but rather removing a protective coating that permits the blade from being fully exposed. I get great shaves from Derbys, but it is the initial strokes that feel like a dull blade, and corking takes that away.

6. Hi Rick,
    I've been around long enough to have read the thoughts (and results) behind corking blades, many of which are found in various shaving forums. Very quickly, here's the reason for using this technique:
    Yes, it's the coating that occasionally needs to be removed before shaving with the blade
    No, it's because there's small 'micro burrs' left over from grinding that sometimes need to be removed before use.
    No, it's because sometimes the blade's just sharper than you'd like when new, and need a little 'gentling'.

There you go Rick..........take your pick. You can find good arguments for each of those reasons.
    Good luck with that,
    Martin

Oh.........I should mention that corking really does work for many people............whatever the reason. I know the positive results even surprised quite a few seasoned (and highly skeptical shavers). Pretty interesting deal.

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I go with the coating theory, Martin. If these blades really had "micro burrs", I don't think corking would remove them completely and we would all be shredding our faces. As with everything else, it's all YMMV. It works for me, so I will stick with it. :D

8. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Definitely seems to work for me.

9. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

It works with straight razors. running the razor across cork or an eraser will remove micro burrs although I don't know how similar those burrs are to what's leftover from grinding the double edged blades

10. grottolord

grottolord New Member

stropping

micro burrs are the answer as with str8 shaving you need to strop the blade to realign the edge so it makes sense that you would need to Strop or cork the blade, im not going to do it before my first shave with a feather but in ghe future i might just to test the difference
    /grottolord

11. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

I get really good results from Merkur blades if I cork them first... this is the only blade that I cork though.

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Why bother corking a Merkur blade. Theyre expensive as hell. Just like feathers. Buy a cheaper blade that works better that doesnt require corking.

13. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

Who said I bought them? I've acquired some through trades... and with YMMV what does it matter what I choose to use? No two people are going to have the same experience.

14. JayKay

Its not about merkurs. If you like them, you like them. But you dont like them. You like them if you alter them. I dont suggest buying blades that you have to alter. As you said, its the only blade you use that you do cork. So in essence, you wouldnt just go out and buy merkur blades because there are other blades you like better without corking.

If you can make it through a large sample pack from razor and brush and the only blade you like is a corked feather, than so be it. But I gaurentee you will find another blade you like just as well without corking.

15. sas71

sas71 Member

oh great now i have to get a cork to :happy102

16. grottolord

grottolord New Member

Feather corker

Tried Feathers for the first time today out of my 1956 Red Tip,
    on the advice of a member, i corked and hand stropped on my forearm,
    That waw one smooth shave, not a nick or pull, and BBS on the usual 3pass shave. of course with touch up.
    next time ill try a new Feather without corking and let you men know what "My opinion" is
    By the way i used Real cork from last nights Cabernet.

17. hmm. i haven't been using a de long, but i have to say that is kind of an interesting concept. i could see the work (if there is any) done by the cork being such a subjective thing that there really isn't any way to get a real answer as to wether or not it really works.

18. JayKay

In the name of science, theres always a way to get a real answer.

19. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

An interesting thing that has yet to be mentioned is how often guys talk about how good a shave they get on day 3 or 4 of a particular blade. Why is this, and don't you think that maybe corking a new blade will put it into the same state as a blade on its 3rd or 4th use? If a person gets comfortable shaves when corking their blades, then congrats on finding what works. I found trying 100 different blades for that "just right" one to be an annoying process. As cheap as Derby blades are, if it just takes a few strokes on a piece of cork to make them work for me, then that's what I'm going to do -- that way, there are more blades out there for the rest of you who are still seeking that "Holy Grail". ;)

20. JayKay

I like my blades extra sharp and in their full glory on the first days.